Sign in to follow this  
MattieG7

Should I buy this (discontinued) Harry Potter set for this price?

Not sure if this is in the right place as it is a question to do with BSTF but I didn't want to clog that section with this question.

I've recently considered buying sets from eBay as I was unsure about it but now I realise that it can actually work out cheaper than bricklink (buying whole sets as well as sourcing individual parts). The last sets from the Harry Potter line were discontinued in June 2012 before I got the chance to buy some of them, and since then (like other LEGO sets) the prices have skyrocketed - I'm scared to think of what will happen when it comes to purchasing Diagon Alley :laugh:

Anyway, I've found this (complete!!!) 4866 Knight Bus for £24.99 + £6.99 P&P. The set originally sold for £29.99 so I think this is quite a good deal, especially for an auction, but I wanted more opinions :classic: . It ends in just under an hour so I need to act fast :laugh: There are other (cheaper) Knight Buses listed but their end dates are a lot further away so there would be more chance for someone to outbid me. There are also no other bids on the listing, maybe because people are realising that it's going to work out more expensive than the original RRP, but I think that the longer I leave it the more people will realise they can boost their prices up, and the Buy It Now listings are expensive enough as it is! The seller has 100% positive feedback (1971) so that's not the reason no-one has bidded yet.

So basically should I (at least attempt to) bid on it? It would help me to reach a logical decision :classic:

Did you get it?

OP?

The auction has ended, so, were you the one who bought it?

Unfortunately not :hmpf_bad: I bidded with about 10 seconds to go but they had already set up a maximum bid limit. While I think this feature can be helpful if you can't get to eBay for when the auction closes, it puts them at an unfair advantage, and the whole experience of the auctions is to be there and have that competitive spirit, not just to put in any amount and wait for people to realise you've bidded higher than they want to :sadnew:

Ebay is really annoying anyway. Only people who are sniping wins, they even use bots. That is why I only get things I need, never try to get a bargain.