Sign in to follow this  
THSH83

Weird Extra Numbers on Bricks

Hi I was browsing through my inventory and noticed some extra numbers on bricks, and parts. For example part 48989 ware looking all the same, same shape, same part number, same color. But each had an extra number on them, I wonder what it is? One peace has number 6-01, other had 6-02, some had 3-01 and 4-04.. Now I love to learn so I was curious, what kind of numbers were these, number of year, number of creation, funny... If anyone has information about these numbers I'll be glad to hear them, 'cuse I tried to Google but I found nada...

post-125404-0-48577200-1403100506.jpg

Welcome to Eurobricks

I think it has something to do with the mould they use and the position on the sprue within the mould that the piece came from.

I think it has something to do with the mould they use and the position on the sprue within the mould that the piece came from.

That's exactly it.

They likely have multiple molds for each part so the first number is the mold number and the second number is the cavity number within that particular mold.

...for quality control??

Exactly. Imagine that they start noticing a problem that occasionally happens with a certain kind of brick that they are producing. Each of their molds has multiple cavities and produces multiple parts with each injection. By referencing the cavity number on the part they know which cavity to check for problems.

Edited by Combee