Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Train 12 Volts

Is there a better set than 8880?

Hi guys,

I don't know much about the technic sets, but I've recently discovered that with the set n. 8880 Lego has introduced a car with the gearbox, four-wheel drive and independent suspensions.

The set, however is old, and the model is not very nice from the aesthetic point of view ... are there other sets with more fascinating supercar and the same features?

Thanks in advance for your help! :classic:

Nothing can beat the 8880 unless its a MOC or a MOD, however I think the 8448 is very close to doing it, it has some clever mechanisms in it that I haven't seem anywhere else, it is also possible to make the 8448 rear or front engined and the 8448 is kinda the birth of stud-less though the set does not fully utilize it. The technic Enzo has interesting doors that are also pneumatic like the 8448 but it had less features than the 8448.

You could redo the old sets but make them stud-less, I've did it with a couple of sets, its interesting and can be challenging as studded parts have some advantages over stud-less however when its being done you can see how much extra space there is because of the stud-less parts, this means you can add more functionality or more compact mechanisms, however you still have to take note of where the wheels are.

You can also add more parts to make it more aesthetic after its been converted into stud-less because its arguably easier too.

Edited by SNIPE

yeah,You can also add more parts to make it more aesthetic after its been converted into stud-less because its arguably easier too.13.gif

Edited by redrunyangs

8880 was the top in that era. But there were awesome models after that too, 8110 for example. Maybe we are just too grown-ups to fall in love with an official model again.

The 8880 looks very old for the younger generations I guess.

Edited by Lipko

Yes, this set is legendary and it's what has brought me out of the dark ages. But there are sets after that that are equally ingenious, like the 8455; I'm still amazed by the amount of functions they could cram into that little tractor. There's also the 8043 which is also very clever from a technical point of view.

There has never been an official car set more advanced than 8880. It is still your best bet for the pinnacle of supercars. 8448 has more advanced styling but fewer technical details. See this table for a comparison:

http://www.technicop.../cars.html#comp

here is another comparison: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Kumbbl/Technic-Stuff/Diverses/supercar-shootout.xlsx

supercar-shootout.jpg

In the meanwhile there are some supercar MOCs out there which probably outperform the old 8880 but overall the 880 competes still very well and it is still the best supercar lego has released - the 8448 has its pros like the modularity and some smoother looks but overall i agree: still no real successor of the 8880...

As a person who has never owned a 8880 in my childhood, I lack the nostalgia goggles. It's a nice set and sure it is complex for its time but I cant understand why there are no doors. Lookswise it

is ok, a bit boring perhaps. I actually much prefer the B-model even if it isn't as complex. So my 8880 that I only got as an "grown-up" is currently assembled as the B-model.

8880 is the best supercar. I was given a lovely one for Christmas a few years ago and it's a really great set. On mine the suspension pushes the frame apart though, which disrupts the rear steering, it would definitely be tighter if it was studless. What is it about the aesthetic that you don't like? I think it looks great, very much like a bertone design.

Edited by robuko

8880 is the ultimate in Technicality. No car has the same level of complexity, although some machines come close, like the last excavator, the Air Tech Claw Rig, the Unimog and the Space Shuttle.

On a side note, all of the above are MUCH more sturdier than the Super car, and withstood the kindergarden test with relative ease. The supercar lost its rear wing in a matter of minutes, but not much else. So far, the best child-friendly toys have been the Backhoe 8455, the 8043 Excavator and the 42009 Mobile Crane. Really well done and sturdy designs.

/offtopic

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

I think the 8466 is a better supercar, same functions as 8880, except the headlights, but there is the door mechanism :-)

And mechanically i think 8480 space shuttle is more advanced.

But the springs on the 8466 sags so much it isn't even fun... Unless replaced of course. Otherwise it's the same as the Super Street Sensation, which doesn't feel as... technical as the 8880.

In terms of technical beauty 8880 Supercar can only be compared with 8480 Space Shuttle (for the studded era sets) and with 8043 Motorized excavator & 8258 Crane Truck for the studless era sets (by now) :classic:

8880 was the top in that era. But there were awesome models after that too, 8110 for example. Maybe we are just too grown-ups to fall in love with an official model again.

The 8880 looks very old for the younger generations I guess.

I am very tempted by these two sets, the Unimog is beautiful also for the pneumatic system, but there isn't a gearbox and it doesn't look like a supercar! :laugh: By the way your supercar MOC is absolutely stunning!

Thanks also to other users for the tips ...I already own the back hoe, the mobile crane and the last lego huge excavator, I think that these sets are a must! :classic:

I will get slated for this, but I really like 8070. It's really playable and fun. My two year old loves it too.

My cousin had 8880, I hate the look of it, and the functions seemed fragile and fiddly. Each to their own etc. :classic:

Edited by andythenorth

I will get slated for this, but I really like 8070. It's really playable and fun. My two year old loves it too.

My cousin had 8880, I hate the look of it, and the functions seemed fragile and fiddly. Each to their own etc. :classic:

Mechanical accuracy/complexity = 8880

Fun for 2-year-olds (and older) to play with = 8070