I'd think it is a combination of things.

First, it was in a limited release series. Look at a lot of those figures, even the "not cool" figures and they still fetch a higher pricetag than a lot of newer series.

Second, people are obsessed with zombies for some reason. So I'm sure there aren't a lot available on the market as it is.

I don't know what that converts into for USD, but I always see them at around low $20s here, so definitely a hot commodity everywhere.

Speaking of which, I still need one for my collection too.

Probably because zombies minifigures are rare and great to build post-apocalyptic scenes. Here are all the ones I've heard of :

- Collectible minifigure Zombie

- Zombie in reddish brown suit

- Gunner Zombie

- Quest master zombie

- Yeoman zombie

- Zombie driver

- Zombie bride (only female zombie and very expensive !)

- Zombie chef

- Zombie groom

The prices usually go up when they are not produced anymore.

The CMF minifigures are weird. The Series 1 zombie is treated like an exclusive that can never be reused again. However, when they came out with a Halloween minifigure set, they reissued him in a brown suit. They reused the print in a different color to protect the exclusiveness of the minifigure.

However, LEGO does not do that with all of these. Last week I bought the calendar which came with Series 1 Cheerleader and Skater. There were no changes. Last summer, there was a beach Minifigure blister pack with the hulu girl and the two surfers without any changes to them either.

Is LEGO reprinting those minifigures or are they just using unsold product? We find many leftover pieces from CMF as well as Castle and Monster Fighters in the Build a Minifig stations in the LEGO Store.

Personal, I would like LEGO to come out with a CMF Greatest Hits series (maybe Series 15) where they could reissue the most popular minifigs from the past. I just don't know what collectors would think of that. It has the potential of devasting collector value. But I don't collect LEGO thinking of resale value.

Edited by Blakstone

^The problem with the "greatest hits" collection is the molds used for the figures. Earlier figures would be unable to be made again because they don't have the molds or production slots to run them again. I think that is why the previous "fan favorite" collection had only a select few figures from select series. I believe it all depends on availability.

Now, the zombie wouldn't require new pieces like the Spartan would, but the printing still costs money/time, so maybe that is enough to not warrant it. That same Halloween set had two other figures that were identical to the previously released versions also, but the zombie was not. Very peculiar methinks.

The CMF minifigures are weird. The Series 1 zombie is treated like an exclusive that can never be reused again. However, when they came out with a Halloween minifigure set, they reissued him in a brown suit. They reused the print in a different color to protect the exclusiveness of the minifigure.

However, LEGO does not do that with all of these. Last week I bought the calendar which came with Series 1 Cheerleader and Skater. There were no changes. Last summer, there was a beach Minifigure blister pack with the hulu girl and the two surfers without any changes to them either.

Is LEGO reprinting those minifigures or are they just using unsold product? We find many leftover pieces from CMF as well as Castle and Monster Fighters in the Build a Minifig stations in the LEGO Store.

Personal, I would like LEGO to come out with a CMF Greatest Hits series (maybe Series 15) where they could reissue the most popular minifigs from the past. I just don't know what collectors would think of that. It has the potential of devasting collector value. But I don't collect LEGO thinking of resale value.

I don't think they changed the colors to protect the exclusivity (at least, not of the original zombie - though maybe of the new one, since that's the one they were then selling). I think they did it to present a variation that would be desirable even if one already had the original (since many of us like to army-build zombies, but don't necessarily want to do it using a bunch of copies of the same exact zombie, but instead want some variation).

- Gunner Zombie

- Quest master zombie

- Yeoman zombie

What are these?

there were a lot of zombies in the Pharaoh's Quest line, but I too am wondering about the gunner zombie...I know we had Pharaoh's Quest and Monster Fighters and the minifigure, trying to recall what other sets might have had zombies, are there any "classic" zombies from the old adventure sets?

I think they mean the zombies from the Pirates of the Carribean 4 sets, like Queen Anne's Revenge and the Captain's Cabin?

I think they mean the zombies from the Pirates of the Carribean 4 sets, like Queen Anne's Revenge and the Captain's Cabin?

Yep it's those.

Exactly, it's those. Not easy to use in a post apocalyptic scene though ...

1 - Army builder figure

2 - There were barcodes, very easy to identify the fig inside.

3 - The fig costed very few compared to today.

4 - There were no such figures but him to portray zombies

5 - When price raised people stacked him to resell him.

6 - Light gray hands are very rare.

7 - Want moar? :D

I don't think they changed the colors to protect the exclusivity (at least, not of the original zombie - though maybe of the new one, since that's the one they were then selling). I think they did it to present a variation that would be desirable even if one already had the original (since many of us like to army-build zombies, but don't necessarily want to do it using a bunch of copies of the same exact zombie, but instead want some variation).

What are these?

As another question, why would LEGO care about diminishing the value of something second hand that they are not selling?

I think ultimately LEGO does not like re-sellers, only because it cuts into their business model (even a little).

I don't think they would protect the exclusivity of something. It more has to do with what they have in the production channel at that time. That's why they said they won't re-do previous sets for new fans. It requires too much effort to actually bring something back as opposed to creating something new. Might as well go with new.

As far as the zombie, I don't necessarily know why they chose to just recolor the zombie. I'd think since the print is the same, they put in more effort recoloring it than just reprinting it. But it is possible they did it for some variety (which is hard to believe since it is the same design, in a different color).

As another question, why would LEGO care about diminishing the value of something second hand that they are not selling?

Exactly my point - I don't think they used the different color scheme for the zombie in the Halloween / Monster Fighters minifigure set because they cared about preserving the exclusivity of the original Series 1 Zombie, but because they wanted to make the new zombie (and by extension the rest of the set it was in) more desirable.

Why is the Series 1 Zombie so expensive?

I've always put it down to it being because it's the 1 minifigure (except Mr Gold) which I had but have somehow mislaid!

^The problem with the "greatest hits" collection is the molds used for the figures. Earlier figures would be unable to be made again because they don't have the molds or production slots to run them again.

I don't understand. I know molds don't last forever, but they surely last longer than the short time a series of CMF are available. As for production slots, I don't see the difference between a new series with new molds and reusing old molds. They need the production capacity either way.

I don't know why the nurse is so expensive, but the health chart she comes with makes sense as it's the only set it's in. But the nurse, by herself, is extremely expensive, too. I don't know why.

If they did this, the perfect time would be Series 17. That way, they could do 1 of each of the previous 16 series to fill out all of the slots.

I don't understand. I know molds don't last forever, but they surely last longer than the short time a series of CMF are available. As for production slots, I don't see the difference between a new series with new molds and reusing old molds. They need the production capacity either way.

I got her in a lot a while back and was looking into completing her. Saw the chart prices on BL and said "Damn that noise". I'm not much into accessory tiles anyhow. :laugh:

Edited by K_Tiger

If they did this, the perfect time would be Series 17. That way, they could do 1 of each of the previous 16 series to fill out all of the slots.

I love that idea. Each series (as far as I recall) has at least one no-brainer pick for best of the series. Opinions will vary of course, but that'd be fairly easy math. Just look at the aftermarket prices.

Or better yet, they could do a few themed ones. For example, every series has had at least 1 minifigure that would work in a Castle setting, so they could do a Castle set.