ThiagoMaster

42030 Volvo Front Loader - A must have for starters?

Hello everybody!

I'm just starting my journey into technic, so I need a lot of tips!

I frequently watch videos of Technic sets, so I can decide wich ones are better to start (since I need motors, basic parts etc.). I live in Brazil but going to travel to Canada soon, and there is where I'm going to buy some sets.

After watching a review for 42030 Volto (Sariel's review, nicely done, I gotta say, love his job) I was amazed buy this set.

So here I am asking for you guys opinion. Is this a must buy?

If you plan on using the parts for mocs, and particularly remote control mocs, 42030 offers a nice range of PF elements. However, there aren't a whole lot of gears in the set. IMHO, if you don't necessarily need all the PF parts, 42009 Mobile Crane is a better starter set. 42009 offers more parts and a large assortment of gears.

If you can afford it, buying both 42030 and 42009 together would make for a nice starter collection (if you don't mind building in yellow).

If you're not into mocs and you plan to build something to play with, than 42030 offers better playability.

If you plan on using the parts for mocs, and particularly remote control mocs, 42030 offers a nice range of PF elements. However, there aren't a whole lot of gears in the set. IMHO, if you don't necessarily need all the PF parts, 42009 Mobile Crane is a better starter set. 42009 offers more parts and a large assortment of gears.

If you can afford it, buying both 42030 and 42009 together would make for a nice starter collection (if you don't mind building in yellow).

If you're not into mocs and you plan to build something to play with, than 42030 offers better playability.

Thank you, great tips! =) I'm really considering to get an extra set, I'm just afraid to travel with 2 huse sets like 42030 and 42009... But lets see!

I would say 42009 for a starter kit is better, and the price per piece ratio is way better.

the pure pppr comparison is unfair... when comparing sets you have to distinguish between the PF-parts and the bricks/arms/pins etc...

Remove from the 42009 and the 42030 the parts for the PF-components (as offered in the lego-shop) and then compute the pppr.

42009: 170€ --> PF-price: 23€ --> Price without PF: 147€ --> ppp: 5ct

42030: 220€ --> PF-price: 125€ --> Price without PF: 95€ --> ppp: 5ct

You see, both sets have the same price per part ratio (pppr)...

back to the question which one is the best starter set: it depends what are you searching for? if you want the full PF assortment, then you should by the 42030, if PF is not your piece of cake then choose the 42009 - if you buy both then you are probably equiped very well for building .. ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

You are right Kumbbl, i overlooked the RC stuff in the 42030. I wanted to say that 42009 has more parts (beams, gears, axles, etc) then 42030 at the same price.

Difficult to say.

I don't have the 42009 and neither the 420030, but can build both of them cause of parts from 8275,8421, 8043 and some more....but if I don't have parts at all for beginning, I'll tend to buy both sets 42009 and 42030, where I could start from. Buying sets is IMHO the best way to get a big amount of parts for a reasonable price.

Greetings

Alex

It a tad more expensive than I thought but it does have a lot of pf, good choice all around, it says ages 11-16 but that should be 11-99. :D

Should be the same as it was done for 8455, so fixed it! :sweet:

Thanks for the help!

Learned a lot from you guys, again! It was nice to see the ppp comparison, it made everything more clear.

I can bring both sets, the biggest problem is that I'm really worried on what can happen when I'm traveling back to Brazil...

This set might be expensive, particularly here in Norway, but except the limited number of colors, it seems to be a good starter set for the various PF elements.

Thanks guys! Idk if 42030 will already be avaible for buying before I leave, lets pray. If it isn't, I'll get 42009.

But if I find both, maybe I'll buy both anyways! haha

Should be the same as it was done for 8455, so fixed it! :sweet:

I've seen it on more sets I think, but I've always wondered why people older than 99 years shouldn't play with it.

Thanks for the help!

Learned a lot from you guys, again! It was nice to see the ppp comparison, it made everything more clear.

I can bring both sets, the biggest problem is that I'm really worried on what can happen when I'm traveling back to Brazil...

Take all parts out of their bags and put them in a large bag, mail the empty boxes and receipts to your home in Brazil. (or trash them) When you just go to customs with a bag of bricks, it'll be clear to them that you're not importing goods for resale. For all they know you just bring your bricks everywhere to kill time. I know I used to. :tongue:

Edited by W3ird_N3rd