Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but I guess it is mostly a Technic model.

I've been wanting to build a horse for quite a while, and since I've been building a lot of mechanical models recently I figured I might as well try and build one that moves. I tried to incorporate a lot of the subtle movement of a galloping horse into it, including the rocking of the body, forward thrust of the head and a little flick of the tail. I went through quite a few prototypes refining the motion. Any horse expert will tell you it isn't an exact reproduction, but I was really pleased with how well it turned out.

All of the movement is driven through a single shaft that runs up through the base, which can be cranked by hand or with a motor. Details of how all the movement works is included in the video. Hope you enjoy!

J

14228315110_eb90fc1652.jpg

Wow, that's nothing short of astonishing! Very very well done.

Any chance you could make instructions?

You've been featured on technicBRICKS. Conchas only picks really cool models to show there, well done :thumbup:

Love what you've done here. It definitely belongs here. You brought some elegance to technic LEGO. I think you should consider posting it on LEGO Ideas, perhaps after i final touch up. I'd think it do very well there as it will appeal to different groups. Perhaps interest some more females in technic LEGO.

Stunning! In addition to the technical aspect, I love the little details, like the small ears, swept backwards :thumbup::classic:

Wow, that's nothing short of astonishing! Very very well done.

Any chance you could make instructions?

I wan't planning on making instructions, but I've had a few requests, so maybe. Unfortunately I posted this just before leaving for the summer, so it would have to wait until the fall.

You've been featured on technicBRICKS. Conchas only picks really cool models to show there, well done :thumbup:

Cool!

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated!

J

This is really amazing!

What is the part that you used for the hooves? Would there be any way (a linkage or a couple of rubber bands, maybe) of making the hooves move a bit, or do they have to be fixed relative to the end of the legs?

This is really amazing!

What is the part that you used for the hooves? Would there be any way (a linkage or a couple of rubber bands, maybe) of making the hooves move a bit, or do they have to be fixed relative to the end of the legs?

Thanks! The hooves are this piece: http://www.bricklink...asp?P=53565pb01

In the current model they are connected using an axle to the end of a bent liftarm (with an axle hole), so they can't rotate. Of course using a different liftarm for the leg, with a pin hole on the end, would allow the possibility of the hooves rotating a bit. This is a great idea worth exploring for sure.

J

This horse is beautiful! I'd like to see a photo without lights on, of the glow in the dark hooves, perhaps a long exposure to see the movement.

Edited by grid

I agree with the previous post that, submit to LEGO.

It is the fresh air in the boring countless vehicals of technic sets and MOCs

Really amazing!! Wonderful engineering

My little daughter ask me to make it.. Any news about instructions? Would be great, I tried to reproduce it, but in some hidden parts my fantasy has the limit :D

Edited by gualtierico

Really amazing!! Wonderful engineering

My little daughter ask me to make it.. Any news about instructions? Would be great, I tried to reproduce it, but in some hidden parts my fantasy has the limit :D

Yeah, I never made instructions for it, and unfortunately I don't really plan to. It's pretty time consuming to make instructions, especially for a complex models such as this. I have been getting a few requests for them though, so I'll think about revisiting it.

J