Kayne

Ch II: DG Collab: Cat C: Defending the Coast

After leaving the Healing House of Susanna, the brothers Alfrich and Gavin headed to the coastline of Avalonia. With their trusty pig and but a few belongings they made it to the town of Khandar, where Kha and his crew were helping to fight the plague. Kha had been sailing up and down the coast for most of the week keeping the shipping lanes clear and boats from making harbor where the plague may spread. Alfric and Gavin were desperate to make it to the city of Calder where the family has some extended relatives. Kha accepted their offer to work as deck hands in the hopes of making it south to the city of Calder later in the week.

14408496324_a608423b73_z.jpg

As the ship sailed around the corner of the bay, a member of the crew spotted a mysterious dark boat coming towards the city. Kha knew of the rumors of the 'black winged' ships spotted off the coast of Avalonia just before the plague broke out, and was determined to stop the ship from spreading further mayhem.

14409633805_3e822aa323_z.jpg

As the boats approached each other, it became clear that the ship was not stopping, but seemed to be listing lazily through the waters. An oarsmen exclaimed in horror that the entire crew appeared to have died. It was then that they noticed movement on the deck....

14223027090_78af50b4fb_z.jpg

14406259671_aa8615705d_z.jpg

14386499066_971e4339ec_z.jpg

So, here is the build for Category C for this Challenge. I was extremely over ambitious in how much time I had for this build and ran out this week! I ended up adding more foliage and less of the town than what I originally wanted, just to make sure that I could field an entry. Not super happy, but here it is. I would like to give some recognition to Zcerberus and Michael Rutherford for the inspiration on alot of this.

Previous chapters:

A Black Day http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96599

Quarantine http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96607

Evacuation http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96603

House of Healing http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96611

Overwhelming Susanna http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96628

Forest Refuge of the Order of Eden http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96660

The sanctuary of the Bloodleaf Shrine http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96644

Aiding the Refugees http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96658

Roadblock http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=96672

Thanks to my teammates who have done an awesome job.....and stay tuned for the final couple of chapters!

Edited by Kayne

Absolutely outstanding! To put together this level of detail at this scale, and with 2 full ships, is a massive achievement. The windmill deserves a photo of its own please. I especially love that ruined arch, the ships, the water and the waterline on the cliffs, and the watchtower. Amazing!

Oh, that's HUGE! The ruined arch is awesome - first I didn't understand what it was: a very leaning tower? :classic:

Great job, I love the arch and the windmill. It's built on a massive scale too!

Very nicely done !

... 1 little bit of critic : If you menatly join the arch halves, they don't match up.. Given the fact you use a monorail piece , I think you should have used a complete arch to set the base.

Having said that, Great !!!

grtz Saint

Great work, this is massive Kayne! :thumbup: The arch is just stunning, and there the gradations in the water worked out really well. Your small dromon is cool too - i like the way you intergrated the shields on the front, like eyes or something. In fact, there's something to look at every way you turn with this - i'd love to see some close ups of the windmill and the tower.

I'll say you've been ambitious, but you've come up with the goods for sure with this. Great work! :classic:

What a tremendous build. One of the best from this chapter, easily. I have to be a bit jealous, too, because I don't have near enough pieces to construct water as detailed and beautiful as that. Still, the water you've created here is yet another master class from the GoH community on how it's done.

Beautiful harbor! Now I want to know what's on the ship.

Thanks!

Absolutely outstanding! To put together this level of detail at this scale, and with 2 full ships, is a massive achievement. The windmill deserves a photo of its own please. I especially love that ruined arch, the ships, the water and the waterline on the cliffs, and the watchtower. Amazing!

I will see if I can get a decent shot of the windmill tomorrow! Thanks for the comments

Oh, that's HUGE! The ruined arch is awesome - first I didn't understand what it was: a very leaning tower? :classic:

Yeah, meant to be ruins from ancient Avalonia....I really wanted a feel of a village built on an old kingdom that is forgotten

Awesome layout! I love the ruined arch! Brilliantly executed! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Great job, I love the arch and the windmill. It's built on a massive scale too!

Thank you

Very nicely done !

... 1 little bit of critic : If you menatly join the arch halves, they don't match up.. Given the fact you use a monorail piece , I think you should have used a complete arch to set the base.

Having said that, Great !!!

grtz Saint

I know.....artistic license :wink:

Damn that's awesome. Love the arch, and the water. If this doesn't win, I'll be surprised!

Well, that's quite a compliment! My goal is always to win, but there are some amazing builders and story tellers here so the competition has always been steep!

Awesome I love the black ship and all of its detail.

Thank you.....and nice name!?

That arch is great, but my favorite part would have to be the watchtower.

Thanks Carson!

Really nice arch, and good work on the warship!

Thanks, I wanted to build a ship based off of a byzantine or greek dromon. While working on it and unbeknownst to me, Gabe built and posted his own dromon before me that was absolutely stunning!

Great work, this is massive Kayne! :thumbup: The arch is just stunning, and there the gradations in the water worked out really well. Your small dromon is cool too - i like the way you intergrated the shields on the front, like eyes or something. In fact, there's something to look at every way you turn with this - i'd love to see some close ups of the windmill and the tower.

I'll say you've been ambitious, but you've come up with the goods for sure with this. Great work! :classic:

Thanks Gabe, I will try to get some more shots up soon. Will have to be at least tomorrow though!

Excellent work Kayne, that water especially is fantastic. Great arch too. :thumbup: Very impressive build!

That's awesome Kayne. Love the water, love the arch, love the ship, very excellent.

Awesome build Kayne! I love to see ships in a build, and this whole scene is just lovely. Great buildings, and the ruins are sweet, though I wouldn't want to be sailing underneath that main arch if it was very windy! I have to say, maybe my favorite part of this build is that amazing water, the way you darkened and lightened the various parts to show the depth is just superb.

Great entry, Kayne!

You have some really cool ships there, and awesome work with the water :thumbup:

The ruined arch is excellent too, and the house is very nice - the dark red windows work really well :classic:

Edited by Garmadon

Great work. I really like the tower and the Tudor-style building (especially the roof rakes). Nice job with the ships water and foliage too. The giant arch looks a little out of place (but I understand its practicality for letting the ships through into the harbor)

Edited by Scaevola

I really could't like this build any more than I do. At the risk of sounding super original, I love the broken arch. Is that a monorail piece? Very inspiring work!

What a tremendous build. One of the best from this chapter, easily. I have to be a bit jealous, too, because I don't have near enough pieces to construct water as detailed and beautiful as that. Still, the water you've created here is yet another master class from the GoH community on how it's done.

Thank you! I had to order more trans blue tiles than what I had. I had 500 trans-dark blue tiles 1x2, and I ordered 110 more trans-light blue tiles 1x2 to complete this build. Now, I have to keep building water to justify their purchase :wink:

Excellent work Kayne, that water especially is fantastic. Great arch too. :thumbup: Very impressive build!

Thanks Kai!

That's awesome Kayne. Love the water, love the arch, love the ship, very excellent.

Thanks Z! I was going to add a few pics of how I put together the arch, since I have been asked a bit. Would it be OK to put in this thread, but not in the main body and not have it be considered part of the entry since we can only enter 5 pics?

Awesome build Kayne! I love to see ships in a build, and this whole scene is just lovely. Great buildings, and the ruins are sweet, though I wouldn't want to be sailing underneath that main arch if it was very windy! I have to say, maybe my favorite part of this build is that amazing water, the way you darkened and lightened the various parts to show the depth is just superb.

Thanks! I was actually worried on how it would turn out, but the coloring in the water worked as I had hoped it would

This is amazing, Kayne! The water is great, the buildings are gorgeous, and that arch! Spectacular, Kayne. Spectacular.

Great entry, Kayne!

You have some really cool ships there, and awesome work with the water :thumbup:

The ruined arch is excellent too, and the house is very nice - the dark red windows work really well :classic:

Thanks guys

Great work. I really like the tower and the Tudor-style building (especially the roof likes). Nice job with the ships water and foliage too. The giant arch looks a little out of place (but I understand its practicality for letting the ships through into the harbor)

Yeah, it's supposed to have been from an earlier time in Avalonia's history, with a new village sprung up since then in it's place.

I really could't like this build any more than I do. At the risk of sounding super original, I love the broken arch. Is that a monorail piece? Very inspiring work!

Yes, it is two monorail pieces hooked together with 2x6 plates creating the depth. Then I used a whole bunch of these http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=60470 and these http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=48336 hooked together to 'curve' the surface of the top and bottom of the arch to fit in the monorail pieces. And, it is all held to the rock via some technic connections hidden by the rocks and foliage.

Also, I'd like to claim some UoP credits for my Challenge 2 build

-Life in Avalonia

-Still Water

-Studs up Rocks and Cliffs

-Flowers and Dense Foliage

Thanks!

Edited by Kayne

+1 for all four UoP credits. You do have a deal of movement in your water (which of course really adds to the build), but I guess it's still enough.