Legopicler

Why not Vikings?

I am just beginning to look around this site and love the pirate forum. I was however curious as to why Vikings were not included in this theme? After all they are famed for their beautiful longboats, daring raids, pillaging and plundering. They are the archetypal pirate. They even have silly hats (with or without horns, still silly). Sure the height of their rein was well before the Golden age of pirates, but this theme includes Incas and Aztecs, so period isn't an issue and whilst the Incas have cool minifigs and the Aztecs gave us chocolate (controvertial), they are well ...predominantly landlovers. We could ask the historic guild to politely hand the Vikings over, but its a pirate forum, so we should hoist the Jolly roger and lay claim to the Viking wonders. I say go forth and build lego longboats, wave axes and shout skol.

We've had debates over whether Vikings are Pirates many times.

It has been decided the LEGO Pirates Forum shall focus on piracy during the Age of Exploration and Age of Colonization so Vikings are better suited to the LEGO History Forum.

I link vikings more with Medieval times, so translated into LEGO that means Castles, Kingdoms.

The glory times of Vikings was 8th to the mid-11th centuries, so well before the age of discovery which started early 15th century.

Be careful likening Vikings to Pirates. Though we can all agree on similarities between the practices the key difference lies in the cultural heritage of Scandinavians. Vikings do what they do in defense of and/or as part of their culture, whilst pirates (even the more desperate modern kind) do what they do for profit and against the social conventions of even their own society. 

That being said, why not Zoidberg, indeed? You all still have Zoidberg.

I link vikings more with Medieval times, so translated into LEGO that means Castles, Kingdoms.

The glory times of Vikings was 8th to the mid-11th centuries, so well before the age of discovery which started early 15th century.

Ah. More to do with period rather than "boatyness". Makes sense. Thanks

Why not Zoidberg?

If only he were just a little bit more natuical, then I am sure he would be a great pirate. He has the same facial tubes as Captain Barbosa from POTC and interestingly...you never see the two of them together!

The vikings are not pirates, that's why. It's an historical evidence.

They are a little bit piratey!

True, most Vikings were merchants, fisherman and farmers. Some were great artists and they also had developed a very advanced political system. So they were much more than simple raiders. Still, I think we would all agree that they built some great ships and on occasion went raiding for treasure, which is quite pirate like.

Still I accept the argument that they are a different era to traditional pirates, so will keep any exlamations of Skol to a quiet sobering whisper. :)

We in the History forum (of whom most also like to build piraty mocs) highly encourage people to build nautical mocs placed in a historical medieval setting. So if you want to build viking ships, cogs and early caravels, you are more than welcome to head over to the History forum!

The glory times of Vikings was 8th to the mid-11th centuries, so well before the age of discovery which started early 15th century.13.gif

Edited by redrunyangs

Vikings and golden age pirates had a lot more in common then some may like to compare. Vikings did not raid to protect themselves, neither did pirates for example. It was all a mercantile adventure, finding resources and becoming rich. Anyway, to the original question, it is all about time period. It is the same reason why this forum doesn't deal with Roman are Carthage pirates, Arabian pirates, or even the Golden Age of Chinese Piracy (although I seem to remember that the forum has become accepting of the later)

If only he were just a little bit more natuical, then I am sure he would be a great pirate. He has the same facial tubes as Captain Barbosa from POTC and interestingly...you never see the two of them together!

I think while it easy to find superficial connections between Zoidberg and Pirates, the fact remains that Zoidberg really belongs in the Sci-Fi forum. Zoidberg was mostly active during the early part of the 31st century, long after the golden age of Pirates, and while pirates would often remove limbs from the crews of other ships, Zoidberg often removed limbs from his own crew.