MKJoshA

[SoNE Freebuild 14] Fondor City Nightlife

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

OoC: See the rest of the story:

Season 1

Season 2

Junker's Fee

Welcome to Fondor

The first thing I did was log into one of the public consoles and check one of the information drop points the Alliance had given me access to. They had received additional intel stating that a man named Kale might be able to help me locate the Bothan in question. They only clue I had to try to find this Kale was that he could be found in any of the bars in Fondor City that stayed open late. As this narrowed my search to just a few hundred places I rented a room since I knew I wasn’t likely to get lucky and find him on the first night.

It was actually on the 2nd night that I found him. I was walking past a bar known as The Maw when a shape came flying out the door and landed in a heap on the sidewalk.

I see you don’t like my style of playing!” yelled the stranger as he righted himself and shook his fist at the door.

14369503313_9cf7cff07e_c.jpg

You wouldn’t happen to be Kale?” I asked.

Depends on whose asking,” he replied, “does he owe you money?

14162730640_54ed3e540e_c.jpg

No, my intel said he might be able to help me” I responded.

Oh no, not another rebel intel officer, look, I told you guys last time that just because I helped you fly some Bothans around once doesn’t mean you can keep looking me up and asking me for favors” he said in earnest.

14348472634_945625081d_c.jpg

How did you know I was with the Rebellion?” I asked.

If you had been hired help you would have pushed me up against the wall before asking questions, and if you had been Imperial I wouldn’t be talking right now, I’d be drugged and in the back of a transport. That just leaves you rebels, you’re too nice for your own good” was his answer. “Look, whatever you want, I’m not your guy, I’m not getting wrapped up in some political ideological mess.” And with that he turned and started walking away.

14162653209_db95e72542_b.jpg

I ran after him and implored, “Kale, all I need is to know where the Bothan is that you brought here. Tell me that and I’ll try to make sure the Rebel Alliance leaves you alone.

He stopped walking. “You promise?

Yes, you tell me where to go, and as long as I find him we’ll stop asking you for help.” I didn’t know what kind of past he had with the Alliance, but I knew that finding this Bothan was worth leaving one down-and-out smuggler to his own devices.

He told me how to get to a small shipping factory in a run-down part of Fondor City. Apparently our Bothan friend had been working there as a cover for his being on Fondor. Although Fondor was an Imperial controlled planet, alien species had no problems finding jobs because there were so many factories on the planets surface that needed workers. Kale also told me that he worked 2nd shift and could usually be found alone in the factory after all the other employees had gone.

With the information in hand I turned in for the night, planning to seek out this Bothan tomorrow, and left Kale to try his luck at the next bar.

OoC: Comments welcome!

Darn it, you're just too good. That curved roof is a great touch.

Edited by VK-318

great color combo (yellow excluded), and VK is right, the curved roof is great, especially the way they are connected to each other, I don't really understand the dark gray clips on the sides though

Nice story!

And the bar looks great!

Thanks Marcus, that's high praise from one of the fastest people to ever achieve the "MOC expert" tag that I've seen!

Darn it, you're just too good. That curved roof is a great touch.

:blush:

great color combo (yellow excluded), and VK is right, the curved roof is great, especially the way they are connected to each other, I don't really understand the dark gray clips on the sides though

Thank you for looking past your Lego prejudice :laugh: The clips are supposed to be some greebling, however, I agree, they are kind of random.

I really like your story, with all it's MOCs. It's like a sci-fi show from 70s ...

Thank you!

Great story, I love the roof! You're really churning these out fast, aren't you!

Edited by Lord Tyrus

Although this build is small, it's really well detailed, smooth and cute. It shows how little vignetes can be very apeeling and have a lot of details which is the cause of very little to none plain bricks used in this build. It's usualy the lack of so many such modified bricks that makes the larger creations look not so detailed in some places ... I really like how the curved roof turned out. Maybe I'd add a 2 studs walls on each side to make the build look as if it continues. This way it looks more like a hallway to the club or even an entrance to an underground passage.

Ah, we're back for a healthy dose of MKJoshA freebuild, and man, it never gets boring.

I'm saying this a lot lately, but these builds really deserve it: yet another well succeeded build! I love how you've once again managed to portray a different kind of location in a very nice way. Som deisging cues are great, and I like how you've kept this build mostly consistent. Like with those profile bricks. They are very beautiful, and you've used them all throughout the build. Yet, it doesn't become repetitive, because of the use of light and dark grey variants. And I'm really digging the combo of those profile bircks with the arches, both in the doorway as above it. The cheese slopes also continue this trend of horizontal lines, and the colorful vertical pillars break it up beautifully. I like the way they're colored, and it really brings the MOC to life, and it's fitting as well, considering it's a nightclub. I would've loved to see this color scheme continue a bit towards the top, maybe by coloring the round plates as well. Still, the roof is brilliant, and I like how this MOC reminds me a bit of a jukebox... All in all, you've made an excellent creation here. You made variated consistency, which makes everything look quite interesting. Well done, and I appreciate the little details like the panels to give a slight ridge to the top corners... that's really some high-class stuff you've got there :thumbup:

Still, since I cannot resist to give some little tips, there are some improvements to be made. The clips on the side have already been mentionned. They are a nice idea, but could be integrated better. It would be nice to have the tile part of the clip at the same level as the wall, so that all the focus goes to the clipping part, something that would be helped by using light grey ones all having the same orientation as well. Also, placing them at regular intervals would be a vast improvement to get away from the randomness, but it would be best if you could allign them with the stripey pattern of the profile bricks. All of this would make them look more like a part of the building, and less like something that was slapped on: the big problem is that it looks like you were indecisive in this part, and didn't make a motivated choice. While the door itself is great, there still are some tiny remarks to be made about it: firstly, the light shines through. Covering up the back area with some simple bricks would already fix this. Second: it doesn't look high enough. But then again, maybe on Fondor gravity is strong and people don't become that big, or am I insulting the EU right now :look:? Finally, the base. It looks good, but seems a bit unnecessary, and gets away with a lot of the focus while it shouldn,t. It is too big, in my opinion, Making everything look like it happens on a stage rather then right in front of your nose. A little piece of street would have been better, I think. And using that SNOT technique perhaps would have been better for the actual floor, because now we have those corners of the tiles sticking out, kind of messing up the edge. Finally (finally for the second time...), I think the fig posing could have been better. Kale looks kind of stupid with that eternal smile, and the poses don't really convey the play between asking and offering. Except in the first picture. There things look really great!

With these freebuilds getting better and better, I hope you still find time for your episode entry, and that it will rock!

Although this build is small, it's really well detailed, smooth and cute. It shows how little vignetes can be very apeeling and have a lot of details which is the cause of very little to none plain bricks used in this build. It's usualy the lack of so many such modified bricks that makes the larger creations look not so detailed in some places ... I really like how the curved roof turned out. Maybe I'd add a 2 studs walls on each side to make the build look as if it continues. This way it looks more like a hallway to the club or even an entrance to an underground passage.

If that's all you have to critique about this build then I must have done pretty well :laugh: I understand what you mean about adding more bricks to make the build look a little more fleshed out. That would have been good. However, I did want this to seem like a hall type entrance to the club so I guess I suceeded there.

<snip>

I actually tried to continue the coloring up where the round tiles ended up and it just didn't look right. There was too much color in my opinion. As for the look of indecision with the clips. You hit the nail on the head. I just couldn't decide what to do and it obviously shows. The entrance is meant to be low as I wanted it to look like people had to stoop a little to get into the club. Having never been to a club I'm not sure if this is realistic, though it seemed like it would be to me at the time. I would have added bricks behind the door had I realized light was coming through. That's a common problem of mine I've been trying to get better at avoiding. I didn't notice it until after I had taken the pictures and started loading them on flickr. I'll just have to try harder next time. The base was an experiment on my part as I've never tried a base like it before. I'm not offended that you don't like it :grin: And finally, Kale is supposed to almost always have that grin. It's a character development point to show his debonair and optimistic attitude.

As for the EU, I don't think you are being insulting at all! At least you acknowledge that it exists!