maybe we can make, like the axle collectors thread, a collection of trailer coupling systems. to make a base i have made a semitrailer coupling for semitrailers with steering.

lxf

14218145437_c18b2c6da8_z.jpg

please post your own ideas for trailers and semitrailers

for giving ideas look this vid

Edited by efferman

Sounds like a nice idea to have a several topics for different concepts.

Efferman, how does your does your design keep the trailer locked together?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

a video says more than thousands of words

this in the vid is a rough prototype

Edited by efferman

I'll definitely give a contribution, as I'll find a bit of time guys! Love these conceptual topics!! Great ideas, specially if shared!!

That is a nice idea :sweet: I was looking for good system to my truck and I made something simple. The fifth wheel is just keeping trailer axle in a hole. It doesnt require any motor and much space but fifth wheel will not catch the trailer like in a real world. Too connect or disconnect the trailer You just lift it up or down using motor in the trailer.

13778022393_68c6e6a63b_z_d.jpg

I havent got better photo of my fifth wheel but here You may see something more:

Here is a movie about trailer mechanism:

I came up with this device. Small amount of part, small and extremely sufficient, well at least IMHO it is... :blush::laugh:

The instructions and below how to attach it:

fifth_wheel_page3.jpg

fifth_wheel_page2.jpg

The rubber belt needs to go over the black axle connector and the 3 stud long axle needs to be replaced by the fifth wheel/coupler. The rubber belt makes it come back, because this fifth wheel pivots as is needed going over for example a bridge with the truck and trailer combi...

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

thank you very much for this clever and small design, but how it will be opened when the trailer is attached?

The simplest way is by hand. That is how I started this design and I still use it mostly that way. That is why is has those two http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=33299 which can be used as lever:

4156980.jpg

It is possible to make it remotely controlled as I did for this build:

pict00.jpg

It basically is operated by a string that pulls the levers so it releases the trailer's kingpin. The string goes all the up to the sleeper which hides the M-motor to operate it...

BTW, this concept does not suite for steered axle trailers unless it uses this type of steering:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/2LegoOrNot2Lego/MOCTrailer9/pict00.jpg

The axle does not steer, but this is more like a trailer with a trailer under it :wink: clever concept by this Australian company and I copied it useful! :thumbup:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

ingmar, this truck in your post makes me drooling

back to topic. the string pulls the levers in direction to the tail? wow, simply clever

Well, thanks!!! :grin: Looking at it again in this picture after I took apart about 3/4 of a year ago makes almost drool as well... :laugh:

Yes it does as you describe and therefore it needs to be redirected. The string starts at the sleeper, where the mechanism is, but pulls in the wrong direction. So it is redirected with two of these (not particular in this color :wink: ):

4566175.jpg

3 Years of no activity here, but i have a new idea:

More or less the Anthem Coupling, but with a different method to move the sled. Wants someone an instruction?

51976932501_5a170f15ae_c.jpg

Btw,the head of a half pin fits into the Ballsocket of a pushrod

My take on trailer coupling - just a concept for now, but hopefully I'll get an occiasion to use and perfect the design based on it: