Hi

My first post here. I'm new to mindstorms and technic. never bought any technic before.

I would like to expand mindstorms ev3 with more Technic elements

The ev3 expansion set which costs about 100 GBP for 850 elements

I am thinking about getting 42009 mkii crane which has around 2600 technic elements and cost 120 GBP

Or is it better to get 2 or 3 technic models for that price?

What do you think?

Regards

Shabeer

It depends on what you plan to do. You could gat the expansion set then use http://www.bricklink.com to buy other parts/pieces you need. Or buy some Technic sets and use Bricklink for other parts/pieces you might require. The 42009 has a large amount of pins in the set.

100 GBP for the EV3 expansion set???

It costs only $100 in the US ... makes you wanna buy a truckload and sell them in EU ... but shipping is pricey of course.

It must be the sheer cvolume of such sets they sell here. With Lego Education and FLL very popular here, they must sell many more here than in Europe.

Edited by DrJB

Hi Shabeer,

Welcome to EB!

Like mentioned by Weavil, it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Getting the 42009 crane to expand your (part) collection is a great way to start. However, it might not fit your needs when it comes to making certain robots. But since it has 2600 parts, it will get you started.

You can also think about ordering new parts via Bricklink. That's one of the best ways, if you know which parts you need. You might not have a clue to what you actually need.

Another approach would be to look at the inventory of the EV3 expansion kit and order the parts you need via Bricklink.

I am thinking about getting 42009 mkii crane which has around 2600 technic elements and cost 120 GBP

An other thing to keep in mind is that the Power Functions (PF) that come with 42009 are not compatible with mindstorm. In general Bricklink (BL) is the bestway to get the parts you want. But in order to know which parts you need and which parts exist you first need some experience with building with technic LEGO. So my advice would be to get a 1 or 2 technic sets without PF, unless you want to use both PF and mindstorm. When you know what parts you need, BL is your friend.

In general Bricklink (BL) is the bestway to get the parts you want. But in order to know which parts you need and which parts exist you first need some experience with building with technic LEGO. So my advice would be to get a 1 or 2 technic sets without PF, unless you want to use both PF and mindstorm. When you know what parts you need, BL is your friend.

Definitely true! I second this.

Check out this forum here on EB:

http://www.eurobrick...p?showforum=128

It's dedicated to LDD (LEGO Digital Designer). Normally such a model is designed with a digital design tool (like MLCad or LDD) and afterwards rendered with POVray or something.

Bricklink is not cheaper per se, but you can buy more of the same parts. A set has a variety of parts, but very often you will find yourself in need for more than 4 or 8 of something. In that case it's useful to use bricklink instead of buying multiple sets.

But again....it all depends on what your goal is :tongue:

An other thing to keep in mind is that the Power Functions (PF) that come with 42009 are not compatible with mindstorm.

That's not 100% true.. While you cannot plug PF directly into NXT or EV3 bricks, you can use one of these

http://www.hitechnic.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=NIL1046

to control PF motors/lights attached to PF ir receivers in turn powered by PF battery boxes.

For a long time it only worked with NXT bricks but they have now released an EV3 block for it. I am using one with NXT and it works great. One sensor port will give you control of 8 PF devices (with 4 ir receivers driving the devices)

That's not 100% true.. While you cannot plug PF directly into NXT or EV3 bricks, you can use one of these

http://www.hitechnic...ion&key=NIL1046

to control PF motors/lights attached to PF ir receivers in turn powered by PF battery boxes.

For a long time it only worked with NXT bricks but they have now released an EV3 block for it. I am using one with NXT and it works great. One sensor port will give you control of 8 PF devices (with 4 ir receivers driving the devices)

And i learned something new, thank you :)

http://www.hitechnic.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=NIL1046

With the EV3 IR sensor you can also control PF, so with the EV3 you don't need to buy the Hitechnic sensor. It only works from EV3 to PF, not the other way around. So I heared.

Wow, I just got great tips right here!

I'm planning to get started into technic/mindstorms. I'll buy EV3, but I didn't decide if I'm going to get something else yet...

I didn't know that they had an expansion kit, but I think it isn't going to be easy for me to find (I live in Brazil, but going to spend some days in Canada).

Anyways, thanks everybody! I wish to see more topics related to Mindstorms here =D