Hi all,

I got really existed about this Mini model competition, so yesterday I started working out my idea: a mini or redux of the 8852 robot from 1987. This is one of my favourite sets.

Here are the photo's of my first try. So far been fiddling with the main function and I think I'm close. The use of the bent liftarm is not an ideal solution, but for now good enough the show you that it works.

14398073872_d2a6453867_c.jpg

8852 Redux-1a by Barman76, on Flickr

14212841090_85ffda30cb_c.jpg

8852 Redux-1b by Barman76, on Flickr

I would really like the put steering in the model, but I think this will make it go over the 200 parts.

The solution of the sliding front axle works very well. It moves the 6 studs, the original set only 4.

To be continued...

Edited by barman

Ow man, i know that set, always wanted that one as a child! Good luck with making a mini out of it.

Haha this is exactly what i was planning to enter the contest with! :)

Darn it now I have to rethink!

Looking really good though!

Interesting subject. Smart solution with the double action (gear racks and up/down). Very curious what this will turn out to be, especially in the aesthetics department :)

(By the way, Lundgren, you could still do that - noone "owns" the idea :)

Hehe offcourse I could Eric, but it doesn't feel right now. (And what's the point, I can't compete with barman! :D )

I'm just a happy amateur ;)

Back to the drawing board.

Sweet! I have always been intrigued by this set, but I never owned it. Looking forward to it's revival and I would be amazed if you can fit it in an actual mini model for the contest!

Thank you guys.

Thanks Blakbird for the small fix.

@Lundgren, sorry about that. If I had waited a couple of days, you would be the one posting the idea...

Good luck coming up with a new idea.

We are all happy amateurs :)

@Tim, Jed, Ted, Jim or something like that, your not the only one.

Just looking at the dimensions, this version is almost just as big as the original, so that is why I put in the redux in the title. It's not really mini. But I did had an idea making a mini version. So if this has a problem fitting in the 200 parts category, there is a way out :)

Edited by barman

By all means....make this one a full version with more than 200 parts :sweet::thumbup:

Always love your transforming models.

I'm pretty sure you can think of something else for the MINI contest.

This looks cool so far! Always wanted this set when i was smaller. Think i have to go buy it now!

Thanks guys.

Hey VF, yes it has been a while. The recovery from the hernia is slow, but with enough rest and some exorcize I'm getting there.

@Jim, I will take your advice. I finished the one I'm working on and will make it just a MOC that looks like the 8852 robot. My first finished Transformer... hahaha.

Here is the result of tonight. With 209 parts it is very close and I can loose the 9 parts as well, but it isn't a mini Model, so I will make this better looking with some extra details.

14404399741_c30db08415_c.jpg

8852 Redux-2a by Barman76, on Flickr

14221148518_2fc98409aa_c.jpg

8852 Redux-2b by Barman76, on Flickr

As you can see, I build in steering front wheels. This has to be a function in a medium model. With the red 8t gear the steering axle can slide and makes it possible to put the steering wheel on the back of the model.

14221118079_757c7d9615_c.jpg

8852 Redux-2c by Barman76, on Flickr

There is the mini version. Yes I've been busy tonight!

14221167198_1121337754_c.jpg

8852 min-2 by Barman76, on Flickr

14407789975_dc5a7a5989_c.jpg

8852 mini-1 by Barman76, on Flickr

With 167 parts this will do nicely. It has steering, but not connected to a steering wheel. It can steer by moving the model left or right, the wheels will follow the direction. Other function is off course the mechanism for making the robot move up and retract the front wheels. Also the arms can be moved.

I hope you guys like it. Now I have to think about what to do with this model for it's glamor photo and off course the parts list.

Very cool. Good job.

When you say "it's not a mini model" though, what is the threshold?

Edited by Bzroom

Very cool. Good job.

When you say "it's not a mini model" though, what is the threshold?

In the main topic Jim talked about that it has to look like a real mini set with some examples and my first try is more in the medium range, so that is why I took Jim's advice he posted in this topic and made a better version that would fit in the mini category.

I hope this explains it.