Sign in to follow this  
oo7

My Recent Models of Varied Cultural Themes

Yesterday I posted to flickr this creation of mine influenced by Buddhist and in turn Hindu art. Specifically the statue is meant to represent a bodhisattva like Ksitigarbha and Avalokitesvara. Each of the ritual objects held by the bodhisattva's many arms has a religious significance: the bell to punctuate the recitation of mantras, the staff with jingling rings to announce the coming of a traveler, the trident to represent the three jewels and three poisons of Buddhist philosophy, the axe to symbolically behead ignorance (one of the poisons), and the round orange vessel is meant to represent a wish-fulfilling jewel or cintamani. Click the image for a link to the flickr photo page.

14377066704_866088833d_c.jpg

I feel bad posting these other things because some are almost a year old, but I'm not sure that new topics would be appropriate either. Anyhow, I exhibited this model at Brickfair VA last year and it's based on the library on the Island of Myst that sets the adventure puzzle game Myst and appears in some of its sequels.

9408718187_af77e84091_c.jpg

These boats I also assembled for the con as my small contribution to last year's Apocalug cyber city. The one in the middle is based on the airboat from the episode "Ganymede Elegy" of the anime Cowboy Bebop.

9412562996_1a8e2637ea_c.jpg

Finally, the oldest model I never posted here isn't very refined as I built it only to photograph for the banner of a flickr group, but I think some of you may appreciate it. It's designed after a meeting house or wharenui used by the Maori people of New Zealand. Once again I have linked the image to its flickr page.

8521497993_bbe6a8eb4d_c.jpg

Thanks for looking through all these,

Nathan

Wow, really awesome creations you did there. The library is incredibly detailed and I really love the colour sceme. Very accurate to the appearance in the game aswell. Just perfect.

The shrine is also perfect and I really like the use of the microfigs.

The other two creations are really well-done, too, but after the first pics they did not stun me as much as the library. The use of all those different red parts in the last model ist awesome, though!!

Well done! They all look very good! I love the architecture in the second one! The boats have especially good parts usage :thumbup:

Wow, really awesome creations you did there. The library is incredibly detailed and I really love the colour sceme. Very accurate to the appearance in the game aswell. Just perfect.

The shrine is also perfect and I really like the use of the microfigs.

The other two creations are really well-done, too, but after the first pics they did not stun me as much as the library. The use of all those different red parts in the last model ist awesome, though!!

Thanks! Have you played any of the Myst games? Few if any of previous commentors seemed to be able to relate. I'm pleased to know you consider it detailed, I was doubting it in that respect; at least as less detailed than my usual standard. I'm also not so disappointed that the second two didn't leave as much of an impression as neither were intended as stand-alone models like the first two.

Well done! They all look very good! I love the architecture in the second one! The boats have especially good parts usage :thumbup:

Thank you; it's a classical Greco-Roman style that I've always wanted to build. I am fond of the details I was able to incorporate under the restricted proportions of the boats.

Alll very impressive Nathan! The piece usage in the first and last builds are top notch.

Thanks, Gary. For the first one I was really happy with the bell using the syringe, though maybe it wasn't clear what that was on flickr without the description of it. I think I'll add there something of similar wording to that above.

Yep I played the Myst games when they were released, very atmospheric and mystic story, really well designed levels and puzzles. That is maybe why I fell in love with the building :blush:

Yep I played the Myst games when they were released, very atmospheric and mystic story, really well designed levels and puzzles. That is maybe why I fell in love with the building :blush:

Cheers mate, I'm glad you like it so much! After completing Myst a year or two ago, I spent a long time with the underwater rail car in Riven, but have yet to progress and start the more recent games.

I've just recently uploaded some shots of a castle creation I've had for few years.

14421780482_281813100c_c.jpg

Click the image for a link to more photos.