The Lighthouse of Barqa

Situated on a small islet outside the mouth of the Arkbri river, this majestic lighthouse has guided the vessels entering the port of Barqa for centuries. Fuelled by refined Naphta, the smoke is usually barely visible. At the moment, all ports of Barqa are closed to general traffic and a quarentine put in place to stop the plague from spreading to Kaliphlin. Therefore unrefined black oil has been added to the fire to make a smoke signal indicating that all ships must hold and await permission to enter the harbor, after sufficient time that anyone with the plague on board either has died or recovered. The only exception is the lucky few to be admitted to the Hospital of the Black Brothers outside the city, who have persuaded the City Council of Barqa to allow them to accept as many as they can into their care.

14376008363_f30b4bb183_c.jpg

14354289292_1a2e34c41a_c.jpg

Gideon has brought his young protégé Elijah de Gothia to the lighthouse to watch the naval traffic.

14332714936_8d1eaa67d8_c.jpg

Integrated ligting made of 4x2 PF LEDs. (sorry for the bad photo quality with all the noise, the exposure time was 50 s to get this effect :wink:)

14169256440_cce01af7dc_c.jpg

Closeup of the water, my first attempt at making water from loose round plates.

14332713446_cc14a3c412_c.jpg

This is my Challenge II, category C entry for Team de Gothia.

I'd like to claim the following UoP credits for this build:

• Waves [Hydrology]
  • Lighted Builds [General Building]

Edited by Gideon

Awesome tower! Love the use of the burnt orange, especially those lion head pieces! The fire is great too! Looks like Elijah and Sir Gideon might be stranded though, how do they get back to the mainland? :grin:

Beautiful texturing and colour scheme on the lighthouse, and the water is really well done too - it looks so sparkly.

Really beautiful Lighthouse Gideon! The fire and smoke are very nice, as well as your wall texturing. And I like how you made the main tower with the smaller one coming from the middle, looks great. Oh, and the mix of tan and light bley for the rocks works really well. Great job!

My favorite moc from you Gideon! I adore the mixture of light orange and tan, and the texturing technique is excellent. Great job with the lighting as well. +1 UoP DoH for all claims

Lovely. UoP +1 both claims. The snow and the water are very nice effects. I can't really work out the geology of the underlying rock. The Lighthouse itself fits in beautifully with Barqa.

Excellent. Builds like this are such an inspiration - and such despair when I look at my meager hoard of pieces hahahaha. Really nice work.

+1 DoH for Waves [Hydrology] and Lighted Builds [General Building]

That is beautiful! There are MANY round plates for the water. That is something I can never do - or very slowly - in LDD.

Allright, I admit...

I really am addicted to your MOC's... I can't stop looking to them... Keep them coming!!!

Beautiful Gideon, such an impressive build! I love the height you have acheived, and the lighting effect, especially with the smoke plume, is just spectacular. :thumbup: The subtle colour gradations in the scattered 1x1 rounds for the water work well too.

That's a great looking color scheme Gideon! The Tan and Medium Dark Flesh look totally Kaliphlin, and then with the specks of Dk. Tan make it look Weathered and worn. Your fist time with Stud spilling looks great too. Overall a great build, and I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone! :classic:

Looks like Elijah and Sir Gideon might be stranded though, how do they get back to the mainland? :grin:

They came there by boat, you just don't see it in that closeup shot (it's after all the only pic where they are visible so let's pretend there's a boat docked further down :wink:)

Beautiful texturing and colour scheme on the lighthouse, and the water is really well done too - it looks so sparkly.

Thanks! The sparkling of the water is actually an unfortunate side-effect of the flash I'm using...but maybe it doesn't look that unnatural after all?

When looking at it now I think the water go a tad too "striped", some more foam (trans-clear round plates) closer to the rocks and more dark blue visible further out would probably have looked more natural.

the mix of tan and light bley for the rocks works really well.

It actually looks better in real life, here the light bley turned out way too blue in my taste...probably the color of the light from the flash is slightly bluish or maybe simply my color correction in Picasa wasn't spot on.

Looks like Alexandria lighthouse.

One of the most important sources of inspiration for this build!

The burnt-orange bands look great.

They are a structural element as I described here, where layers of brick are providing increased resistance to earthquakes. But it also looks great, doesn't it? :wink:

The Tan and Medium Dark Flesh look totally Kaliphlin, and then with the specks of Dk. Tan make it look Weathered and worn.

I suppose I've made it quite clear with my builds since joining Kaliphlin that it is also my view that tan with some dark tan and details of medium dark flesh is a typical Kaliphlin building style :wink:

Too bad that medium dark flesh is such a rare color and that plates in that color are even more rare... Some of the "plates" in this build are actually tiles robbed from my Bag End set.

It seems that Elijah, is quite the traveler :wink: Great work on your style of stonework and the blue works amazingly well in the rocks. And again... amazing photo's!