Jim

[MINI] Technic Mini Build Contest - Information Topic

I'm wondering about enter competition. I have few ideas but first about pneumatic:

If I would use it (it is not said that I will use it for sure) how about pneumatic hoses? Is has to be official Lego or I can use a non-lego silicon tube? If it has to be original Lego can I cut it?

What about cutting flex tubes?

What about using '80, '90 Lego pieces? If set should be done as an official set so no old pieces are included into sets that we have on market shelves.

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Maximum of 200 parts. 199 or less is okay, 200 is okay, 201 is NOT okay.
  • Every part counts (mini turntable is two parts, just like in a real set)
  • Only official LEGO parts.
  • Ropes/Strings, rubber bands and pneumatic tubing should be official LEGO parts.

There's nothing confusing about the rules. People just tend to make things more complicated than necessary :laugh:

"Build something with no more than 200 official Lego parts" is actually all you need to know.

So just to be clear, tubing and rope should use official LEGO, but it's acceptable not to? IMO there's a huge difference between should use something, and needs to use something.

i'm pretty sure tubing and rope MUST be official lego

And we have a winner! :wink:

I will correct "should be" to "need to be" in the rules.

Can we use any plates or tiles? technically (pun not intended :wink:) they're not Technic parts, but they are used by LEGO.

Jim its a contest people will always try and find a way round the rules :grin: That's how a lot of winning cars in F1 came about for example :classic:

Jim its a contest people will always try and find a way round the rules :grin: That's how a lot of winning cars in F1 came about for example :classic:

Jim, I'm afraid he has a valid point here :laugh:

A pneumatic question:

The tubes are counted separately, or they count as one piece, and you cut it to pieces? Older sets in BL have one or two very long pneu tubes, newer ones have cutted tubes.

In a mini pneumatic set, the tubes have significant parts count, compared to 200.

Edited by Mbmc

I would hope we could use a raw stock (3rd party official) of tubing. However sets come precut these days so each segment should count as a piece. Unlike brick elements, I doubt Lego limits themselves by the lengths of existing tubing. And it would be a shame to ask a mocer to cut his precious official tubing. Tubing and rope is quite unique from elements and rubber bands.

First incarnation of my model, 242 parts. Need to strip down in some way. 200 is less than I thought. This is gonna be pretty hard without affecting the looks.

Second incarnation of my model, 201 parts! Hopeing to replace anything by anything that requires fewer parts, and off I go :D

Edited by Erik Leppen

Wonderful competition. I got a nice idea, but this is gonna be a real challenge to fit in the 200 part window.

Tomorrow I will post the first pictures, since I started tonight. Once I figure out the mechanics of the main function it should be do able.

It's been a long time since I build something. Last finished model is from October 2013. Thanks for getting me going again and find the building spirit!

Yes, this is a great compo. What makes it great is that it's easy to find time to build something small, so this is great for those who don't have the time to build something large (or don't have such a large collection).

Yep, like I said earlier, Jim did a great job on this contest. Putting restrictions like a maximum number of parts really forces people to use their creativity.

A pneumatic question:

The tubes are counted separately, or they count as one piece, and you cut it to pieces? Older sets in BL have one or two very long pneu tubes, newer ones have cutted tubes.

In a mini pneumatic set, the tubes have significant parts count, compared to 200.

Perhaps that's why you don't ever see pneumatic parts in the smallest official sets.

I would hope we could use a raw stock (3rd party official) of tubing. However sets come precut these days so each segment should count as a piece. Unlike brick elements, I doubt Lego limits themselves by the lengths of existing tubing. And it would be a shame to ask a mocer to cut his precious official tubing. Tubing and rope is quite unique from elements and rubber bands.

No. It's in the rules explicitly: "Ropes/Strings, rubber bands and pneumatic tubing should be official LEGO parts."

Having looked through the early entries for this competition I have to say that the wide variety and creativity of the builds is amazing!

I can wait to see what the remaining weeks brings!

Edited by grum64

A small update regarding the use of Pneumatics. Can you cut the tubes and are two tubes counted as two parts or a single part?

Count like you would count the parts in an official set. If a set uses two tubes, it's two tubes, not one.

These two rules are important:

• Ropes/Strings, rubber bands and pneumatic tubing need to be official LEGO parts.
  • Decals (stickers) will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.

Basically it says NO cutting tubes. However, I will allow you to cut your own tubes and make two 16L out of a 32L tube. I'm fine with that, as long as the resulting length reflects the length of an official LEGO part.

Imagine someone should be able to build your set with official LEGO parts without using a knife or saw :wink:

I understand your point, but I think you should let this go. We had to cut all hoses to the right length for years. Only the last 5 years or so, Lego has done this for us to save on material costs. Hoses, tubes and strings are always allowed to cute to the right length in the AFOL world, so let's keep it that way.

If others agree to this I am willing to let it go. My point was that the model could be made without cutting things, but pneumatic tubes could be an exception.

And all tubes together count as a single part or every tube is a part?

My vote goes on every tube is a part, otherwise it won't be fair for LA's, that may need many axles and conectors.

If others agree to this I am willing to let it go. My point was that the model could be made without cutting things, but pneumatic tubes could be an exception.

And all tubes together count as a single part or every tube is a part?

I would say every tube is a separate part. If you cut one tube into two, how could they possibly still be one? When you dismantle the model, are they two pieces or one? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I understand your point, but I think you should let this go. We had to cut all hoses to the right length for years. Only the last 5 years or so, Lego has done this for us to save on material costs. Hoses, tubes and strings are always allowed to cute to the right length in the AFOL world, so let's keep it that way.

While I don't have a problem with modifying tube or string length, (unless, of course, contest rules prohibit it) I should point out that it's been more than five years. I have been collecting Technic sets for nearly 20 years and have never had the instructions ask that I cut a part.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I would say every tube is a separate part. If you cut one tube into two, how could they possibly still be one? When you dismantle the model, are they two pieces or one? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I tend to agree with you, but it can be interpreted in multiple ways. If TLG provides a single tube to be cut....it's a single part in the inventory. So we need to find a consensus on this matter.

i can not name the set, but i remember cutting tubbing in official sets according to the instruction booklets.

I can vaguely remember cutting tubes in an official set.