SWAT Strachan

Anyone else a little disappointed with 75050?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I picked up my new B-Wing a few days ago, and after building it I was left a little underwhelmed. The overall design of the model is OK, given its size, but there was something about it that really bugged me,,, The wings. They seem out of proportion to me, too large for the scale of the ship, and it makes the final model look rather spindly. I've already modified mine to reduce the size of the stabiliser wings, and to let them sit closer to the body when folded.

However, this is what I have planned (if I have the necessary parts that is): After making an LDD model of the B-Wing using the official build instructions, I've been having a bit of a tinker with the ship, and I think I've made a few improvements.

B-Wing_Modified.pngB-Wing_Original.png

Modified B-Wing .lxf file

Changes...

• Shortened the s-foils.
  • Redesigned the wing-tip cannons (and got rid of those irritating missile shooters).
  • Shortened the main wing and gave it a straight edge, mimicking the UCS version.
  • Moved the weapons pod a little higher up to make it look a little more sturdy.
  • Altered the lower wing mounting points so that the wing is now aligned with the axis of the ship.
  • Bulked out the body in a few places, and filled the void behind the engines.

Things to do...

• Thicken the 'neck' where the cockpit joins the rest of the ship.
  • Increase the size and move further forward the flare between the cockpit and the two cylinders, to match the flare on the main wing.

I'm a loooooooooong way off from making anything as impressive as Jerac's Chimaera, but we all have to start somewhere :laugh:.

Is that your first B-Wing or you have the 6208 version?

I need to know if I'll keep my old 6208 or update it by the new version.

This new version seems too light for me...

Except for the minfigs!

Edited by Punisher16

Is that your first B-Wing or you have the 6208 version?

I need to know if I'll keep my old 6208 or update it by the new version.

This new version seems too light for me...

Except for the minfigs!

I have the UCS version but this is my first minifig scale B-Wing. The 75050 set does have some decent weight to it but it's all in the main body, the wings are just way too thin and in the case of the main wing not even the right shape!

I don't have much in the way of spare bricks so I can't carry out the modifications yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

If the left is your redesign, I like it.

:classic:

Thanks :classic:. The first picture is indeed my modified version, and the second is how it looks if you follow the official instructions. There are still some other changes I need to make, primarily reinforcing where the main wing connects to the body.

Nice attempt to improve the model. I think you have made the s-foils slightly too short now though. For reference the s-foils when closed should line up with the sensor intake on the main wing. The sensor intake on yours is now too low though, it should be closer to the middle of the wing.

On the studio model the front edge of the main wing is not straight, the UCS only does this due to the way it is built. The way you have bulked out the main wing is good but if there was some way to keep the slope at the front it would be better.

I saw the B-Wing in person at the toy fair and really liked it. But I didn't see it in landing mode, only standing up with the s-foils in attack mode. And to be honest, I still like it in that mode. Having had the 6209 I thought that the wings fold in the very same way, so I was seriously disappointed that they don't fold in the right way, way not close enough to the middle fin, which makes the model look really bad when in landing mode. So this is not on my list anymore, sadly - even if I was entirely convinced at the fair.

Nice attempt to improve the model. I think you have made the s-foils slightly too short now though. For reference the s-foils when closed should line up with the sensor intake on the main wing. The sensor intake on yours is now too low though, it should be closer to the middle of the wing.

On the studio model the front edge of the main wing is not straight, the UCS only does this due to the way it is built. The way you have bulked out the main wing is good but if there was some way to keep the slope at the front it would be better.

I know that the canon B-Wing does have an angled edge on the front and rear of the main wing, but it's such a fine angle at the front that I don't think it's really feasible to recreate it. Truth be told, I think it looks better straight anyway :tongue:. However, I have taken the other suggestions on board, and I have extended the s-foils nearer to their original length, and repositioned the sensor indent in the wing. The cannons now line up with the sensor indent when folded. I've also brought the wing hinges closer to the central axis of the ship which has made the s-foils pretty much the perfect length, and now when you fold them down, they rest on the upper part of the main wing.

B-Wing_Open.pngB-Wing_Folded.png

Updated .lxf file...

I saw the B-Wing in person at the toy fair and really liked it. But I didn't see it in landing mode, only standing up with the s-foils in attack mode. And to be honest, I still like it in that mode. Having had the 6209 I thought that the wings fold in the very same way, so I was seriously disappointed that they don't fold in the right way, way not close enough to the middle fin, which makes the model look really bad when in landing mode. So this is not on my list anymore, sadly - even if I was entirely convinced at the fair.

Attack mode will always look the best. I've tweaked my redesign again so that the s-foils do fold very close to the main wing, the updated .lxf file is just above so you can have a look for yourself :classic:.

Edited by SWAT Strachan

I think the new B-Wing's side wings seem a little too thin. The mod you did to the wings are a much needed improvement. Also, this might seem off topic but why did they retire the UCS B-Wing so soon? It was so cool, and I never had a chance to safe up and buy it.

It obviously wasn't very popular.

When I compare the original model to the MOD I seriously think about only buying the minifigures. But I might buy this model if I get a nice discount.

I know that the canon B-Wing does have an angled edge on the front and rear of the main wing, but it's such a fine angle at the front that I don't think it's really feasible to recreate it. Truth be told, I think it looks better straight anyway :tongue:. However, I have taken the other suggestions on board, and I have extended the s-foils nearer to their original length, and repositioned the sensor indent in the wing. The cannons now line up with the sensor indent when folded. I've also brought the wing hinges closer to the central axis of the ship which has made the s-foils pretty much the perfect length, and now when you fold them down, they rest on the upper part of the main wing.

That's better, now you are starting to make the official set look silly.

How many parts do you need for your version?

524 in it's current state. So it would still be viable at the £49.99 price point. mind you that's excluding the other two minifugures and accessories, 536 if you include them and the Lego separator tool.

Edited by SWAT Strachan

I think the new B-Wing's side wings seem a little too thin. The mod you did to the wings are a much needed improvement. Also, this might seem off topic but why did they retire the UCS B-Wing so soon? It was so cool, and I never had a chance to safe up and buy it.

I bought it about a month ago. I like the design of it, but structurally the UCS X-Wing is more sound and was more enjoyable to build...

Right, I think I've nailed it.

573 pieces including the minifigures and separator tool (127 extra over the stock model, mostly small parts though), which I think would be worth an extra fiver on the price.

Now a few pictures (loving POV-Ray :laugh: ).

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Overview.jpg

Overview...

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Cockpit.jpg

I've extended the cockpit by one stud, and make the neck three studs wide, it doesn't look quite so delicate now. The cockpit also has an additional control panel and I moved the two targeting lasers on the nose a little closer to the middle.

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Neck_&_Launchers.jpg

The proton torpedo launchers are now mounted on the engine section rather than being attached to the neck, this allowed me to beef up the ammo pod and position it closer to the engine intakes (matches the same pod on the main wing).

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Wingtip_Weapons.jpg

I've redesigned the s-foil weapon arrays so they look far closer to the 'real' thing. The black 'brick with bar' excuse for a blaster is gone, along with those pointless spring launchers (God I hate those things...).

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_S-Foils.jpg

The s-foils are more substantial now, and despite LDD's over-sensitive collision detection system, will lie flat against the pod at the top of the main wing.

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Main_Wing.jpg

The main wing now has a straight leading edge, but with added detailing, and the sensor indent.

B-Wing_75050_Modified_5_Weapons_Pod.jpg

Lastly I've moved the smaller cannon/blaster/ion/whatever one block down, as it should be. The lower pod is also removable again, I've gone back to the two technics peg attachment method as I needed to extend the main wing by a couple of studs (to balance the look of the ship with the upgraded s-foils).

Last but not least, is the .lxf file. If anyone has the parts to actually make this mod, I would love to see it in real life! Sadly I'm a 'Lord Business' when it comes to Lego, so I have precious few spare parts.

Great work on this. Just starting out but totally agree with you after seeing the UCS, the 75050 is lacking and you have fixed it in all the right places.

Hi,

I supposed you're all adult here, but my son (8) wants this model but it seems way to long to be playable by child.

What do you think?

thx,

Caj

Edited by cajolino

I'll try to modify my b-wing like yours because I think now it's more neat! Looks great - thanks for file ;)

Now I search only for a good stand for it ;)

Edited by Martini26

I really like these rod spools you used as the cannon barrels. Overall, this mod is really good.

Looks a lot better. I had the second version LEGO released, and I was not very impressed, it was too bubbly around the wing and S-Foils, only thing they got right was the shape. LEGO had outdone it with their newest incarnation clearly, but still have many visual flaws in it I can't stand. You have fixed many of these issues and have made vast improvements. I love the guns on the S-foils, great idea using a spool. and the front of the main wing is darn near perfect. The only issue I find with it is the slopes that surround the engine area(below the cockpit and below the S-Foils) it's the area the you bulked up. like mine, Here: 1404792308m_SPLASH.jpg

Besides that, this ship looks Great!

Hi All

I'm planning to buy this model (for 39,99€ should be a bargain. Is not?) but i would like also do the modification proposed in this post.

I already dowloaded the lxd file and i see how cool is your design but it's difficult to figure out which parts do you have add/remove from the original model.

Maybe it's possible to have a parts list ?

Thanks a lot

The Links of the Mods are Dead.

Fix it, please.

The thread was started 2 years ago so it might be better to PM the OP and see if he can share them.