Jan_sh

My first castle Moc

I have recently started on this whole lego thing and want to try my hand at building castles.

I have just finished my first effort. This is very much intended as a learning experience.

And I have learned much, among other things that you need a LOT of bricks to build anything worthwhile - and that you need more space than you would think.

Next time I will not build on a baseplate - it quite limiting.

During the process, I constantly ran out of pieces, so a few Bricklink orders have been made along the way.

I have focused on playability (because my 6 year old niece often visits and have showed a lot of interest) - therefore it opens in the back - and all floors/layers can be removed so that you can look into the rooms.

(It was not my initial intention to make the top floor a princess bedroom with pink & red tiles either :classic: )

Realism have not been a very important factor - that will be next time around.

First_castle.jpg

More photos here (I apologize for the less than professional quality.)

This is a very well done castle, especially for a first MOC. I am impressed! It looks good, and the playability is fabulous.

Hey thats a beautiful castle there... I like its red roofs and the overall size of it!

Great 1st moc!

Great colorsheme, and the rooms just needs some furnishings :)

I think the moving floors idea is quite new. I never see it before and I like it very much!

This is very cool, I like it! :thumbup:

One question- were you inspired by the Alamut set from the Prince of Persia set by any chance? The shape looks reminiscent of it, which is also nice as that shape works well and makes a nice castle in my mind... :thumbup:

EDIT-Oh look, I'm a Knight! How fitting for my 500th post to be on a castle MOC! (coincidental i swear!)

Edited by Mutant Orc

Thanks guys.

One question- were you inspired by the Alamut set from the Prince of Persia set by any chance? The shape looks reminiscent of it, which is also nice as that shape works well and makes a nice castle in my mind... :thumbup:

No - I have not seen that one, will look it up.

The shape grew "organically", as I went along. I had envisioned a stand alone rectangular keep, but size limits would not allow it, so it ended like you what you see.

Great colorsheme, and the rooms just needs some furnishings :)

Yeah, that was one of the things I learned. If you want to make a realistic looking room with some furniture, it has to be quite large - lego furniture takes up a lot of room.

But point taken, I will try to add some interior design to it.

You're sure this is your first ;)?

It looks great, very well done!

I like the stables very much.

This is very good, one of the best first mocs I've seen thus far. Keep moccing!

Great work for a first MOC. If you want to REALLY sharpen your skills, you should join a guild in the Guilds of Historica.

Very nice, especially for your first MOC. I like the red roofing and the balcony in particular. I couldn't see the other photos as the dropbox link does seem to work for me. Nice work from what I can see. :thumbup:

Very nice, it looks pretty substantial and sturdy, and Im impressed how you managed to avoid the plain gray wall syndrome...

Thanks guys.

Great work for a first MOC. If you want to REALLY sharpen your skills, you should join a guild in the Guilds of Historica.

Thanks, but not sure that is for me

Very nice, especially for your first MOC. I like the red roofing and the balcony in particular. I couldn't see the other photos as the dropbox link does seem to work for me. Nice work from what I can see. :thumbup:

That is strange - does anybody else have problems with the link?

Very nice, it looks pretty substantial and sturdy, and Im impressed how you managed to avoid the plain gray wall syndrome...

Thank you. (Although the back is mostly just plain boring grey. ) I have experiemented a bit to see what worked. The masonry bricks is quite handy for breaking up the plane of the wall, so that will probably become my preferred way.