Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

MOC - Off Road Aerial Bucket Truck (Unimog Style)

Recently I have taken a break from my Unimog attachment building to design and build a MOC, this is an "Off Road Aerial Bucket Truck (Unimog Style)".

The idea for this came about after I was doing some research on the various attachments for Unimogs, I have designed and built a cherry picker attachment (http://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/unimog-u400-set-8110-cherry-picker.html) and decided to build a truck based on this to attach it to.

After some more research and testing some different ideas I am happy to present my "Off Road Aerial Bucket Truck (Unimog Style)". It is 32cm long, 17cm wide, 24 cm high. The bucket raises to 61cm above the ground.

Features include:

- Front mounted winch.

- Hand of god steering via the grey knob on the top of the cabin roof.

- Rear aerial bucket with two controls, one to lift the bucket arm, the other rotates it.

- Rear tray with sides for storing tools and equipment.

- Under tray storage for a folding ladder. This has rails to keep it in place and a locking pin. The ladder folds out in to a step ladder (see photos below)

The build process for this was different to how I normally build my MOCs. Normally I build in a few long sessions over a weekend or a few days, in this case I spent about 6 hours over a weekend getting the chassis built and then I have spent half a hour or an hour some nights over the past few weeks added / changed features.

More photos and a video of it in use can be found on my blog: http://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/moc-off-road-aerial-bucket-truck-unimog.html

Off+Road+Aerial+Bucket+Truck(Unimog+Style)+(2).JPG

I like the truck too, but i have to ask you one thing, why did you use different types of wheels on the back (or front) ?

Thanks everybody for the feedback :)

I like the truck too, but i have to ask you one thing, why did you use different types of wheels on the back (or front) ?

I used the large back wheels out of 9393 when building this to get the sizes right, when I went back to buy another copy of 9393 to get the wheels for the back they had sold them all so I purchased 42005 instead and used one set of wheels out of this for the back. I tried using both sets of wheels from this for the front also but it didn't look "right".

I used the large back wheels out of 9393 when building this to get the sizes right, when I went back to buy another copy of 9393 to get the wheels for the back they had sold them all so I purchased 42005 instead and used one set of wheels out of this for the back. I tried using both sets of wheels from this for the front also but it didn't look "right".

Thanks for the answer, i thought so but i was curious. Keep them coming, Paul !

Nice truck. Looks like something lego would do. Has an old school lego look about it.

H