I have been releasing a couple of rebuild in the last couple of months. This has been very satisfying also because of the building instructions I released with them. So many enthusiastic people all around the glove are building my MOCs. Never the less, here is a completely new build:

Model "Trailer Tr10" is build with LEGO® in scale 1:17,5 and motorized using LEGO® Power Functions. It is not build after a specific brand or type of trailer. This build represents the well known typical US style spread or split axle flatbed trailer.

Another custom design that comes with building instructions and inventory/parts list!

Never did I hide my preference for flatbed and log trailers. Basically because this adds the most playability to a build. Once I build this refer and even though it was much fun building, there was no fun running around with it. The weight of this model exceeds the limits of what my semi-trucks are designed to haul.

So that I why I build another flatbed, this time without a drop in its deck. Again does this build feature full solid axle suspension on both axles, three sets of lights, kingpin, remotely controlled landing gear and parking break and many details, but it also features toolboxes and a remotely controlled liftable rear axle.

Even though it is not very common for this type of trailer to have a liftable rear axle I implemented it anyways. Mainly because of two reasons:

A) One channel of the PF IR Receiver is used to operate the landing gear which engage/disengage the parking brake simultaneously. One channel was left to be used. Obviously the second one is used to raise and lower the liftable rear axle.

B) The more tires means more rubber equals more friction. To reduce the drawback of it when it comes to playability the most rear axle is liftable.

What basically happens is this mechanism forces the suspension to bottom out. Where normally weight would engage the suspension to act now there is this lever that does the work. For this reason this axle is sprung soft, but the the first axle is sprung hard. With the second axle lifted the first axles has to be stiff enough to bare the trailers empty weight.

The axle setup of a spread axle trailer is not just randomly picked. It really has a purpose and it all is related to weight. Commonly this axle configuration is mostly found on flatbeds, car haulers and refrigerated trailers. As described this is a typical US style trailer.

Cheers, Ingmar Spijkhoven

PICT03.JPG

PICT08.JPG

PICT13.JPG

PICT15.JPG

Ah! You made me very curious how you have solved the suspension on the liftable axle!?

Will absolutely check it later today!

Well Ingmar, looks like you did it again, you have designed a good looking new style of trailer MOC. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I look forward to building this creation and adding it to my collection of your masterpieces, thanks for the BI too. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words! I am very happy how this trailer came out and fits with this T1 MkII truck!

@ritztoys: Having these trucks with a bunch of trailers, together with the other MOCs of amazing builders you have, will look just amazing on your next show... :thumbup:

Another awesome add-on to your collection. Did you ever thought about making a heavy cargo trailer with steering? You could use a LiPo battery box on the hitch to control the servo in order to get electronc steering control!

Another awesome add-on to your collection. Did you ever thought about making a heavy cargo trailer with steering? You could use a LiPo battery box on the hitch to control the servo in order to get electronc steering control!

Thanks!

The thing is: I don't want electronic steering control :classic:

I want the steering to react to the angle the trailer has to the fifth wheel. In other words I want the steering to be mechanic and not electronic. Current fifth wheel design, which is great, doesn't suite for this job. In order to achieve this a Technic turn table or kind of has to be installed, but doesn't allow automatic coupling...so that is my dilemma :wacko::wink:

That basically is also the reason I build this EasySteer trailer by Elphinstone. It has a so called stinger steered mechanism which allows steering without electronic devices...

Thanks for the kind words! I am very happy how this trailer came out and fits with this T1 MkII truck!

@ritztoys: Having these trucks with a bunch of trailers, together with the other MOCs of amazing builders you have, will look just amazing on your next show... :thumbup:

Thanks Ingmar, you are the only designer that supplies BI and a parts list to make it possible to build these fantastic MOCs. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes there are other designers, ( who design in the Technic style and are very good ) but you're the only Model Team style of designer, that is constantly re-releasing early creations, we all have always admired and wanted to build.

My building skills aren't good enough to completely design a Lego creation from scratch. (although I'm getting better) Maybe building in this style, I'll be able to come out with something brand new some day.

About that show (in my future) I'm wanting to include as many Model Team Style models as possible to spark interest in building these creations. I may even sell all my Technic stuff :sad: , just so I can focus my collection in this style. The public gets excited when they see a truck and/or trailer being demonstrated, it just looks like the real thing they say!

I just purchased BI for this trailer and have printed off the parts list. :sweet: As always great BI, looking forward to building this.

I want to start collecting parts today, but my refrigerator just died last night, :sceptic: got get a new one. :damn::angry::thumbdown:

Well it would be nice if you could build your own some day! I am looking forward to it from now on... :tongue:

Thanks for the kind words, yes there are so many great builders. You are right about my trucks in this style, I might be the only one, well at least who releases BI.

To bad you might have to sell your Technic stuff, that is true... :sad: On the other hand it might be useful to be focused. This is exactly what I did, the main reason why I don't have official sets for example. There are some nice ones, but one can't have it all... :wink: Plus, you have other hobbies as well, so I understand...

Well, with this kind of weather a broken fridge is the last thing you want. :thumbdown: I understand completely this is not what you want, well good luck with it!!!

Thats what I was waiting for :sweet: Trailer is looking quite light and battery box is almost invisible- I like it very much. And liftable axle prevents situations when Your trailer is connected with truck and wheels on first axle dont touch the ground.

Is it very hard to turn when both axles are on the ground?

Thats what I was waiting for :sweet: Trailer is looking quite light and battery box is almost invisible- I like it very much. And liftable axle prevents situations when Your trailer is connected with truck and wheels on first axle dont touch the ground.

Is it very hard to turn when both axles are on the ground?

Great that this is what you have been waiting for... :thumbup: I think it is very nice myself too and I also mean when it comes to playability... :wink:

No it is not hard to turn with both axles down!!!

In the YouTube movie there are two parts you can see the truck driving in a turn, both are a overview footages. The first one at 0:22 is with the trailer loaded and the rear axle down. The second part at 1:30 is with the trailer empty and the rear axle up.

Both drive very smooth, at a smooth service of course! You can clearly see that with the rear axle up it has a tighter turn. That is exactly what why I gave this trailer this liftable axle... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you want to you can drive it loaded with both axles down and empty with one axle up. Does this explanation make sense to you? :classic:

Great that this is what you have been waiting for... :thumbup: I think it is very nice myself too and I also mean when it comes to playability... :wink:

No it is not hard to turn with both axles down!!!

In the YouTube movie there are two parts you can see the truck driving in a turn, both are a overview footages. The first one at 0:22 is with the trailer loaded and the rear axle down. The second part at 1:30 is with the trailer empty and the rear axle up.

Both drive very smooth, at a smooth service of course! You can clearly see that with the rear axle up it has a tighter turn. That is exactly what why I gave this trailer this liftable axle... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you want to you can drive it loaded with both axles down and empty with one axle up. Does this explanation make sense to you? :classic:

It explains what I wanted to know. So now I can keep building :wink:

can i use a normal battery Box instead of a rechargeable one??

can i use a normal battery Box instead of a rechargeable one??

Yes you can, but you have to use the correct one, let me explain!!! :thumbup::classic:

This is the Battery Box you can use (it needs 6x AAA batteries, but is much cheaper):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=87513c01

This one can not be used at all in this design!:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=59510c01

The other trailer I designed can use this Battery Box!

The digital software I use does not supply the normal Battery Box that has the same looks and dimension as the Rechargeable Battery... :sceptic:

I will change this in the inventory list anyways! Thanks for asking and giving me this idea! :wink:

Yes you can, but you have to use the correct one, let me explain!!! :thumbup::classic:

This is the Battery Box you can use (it needs 6x AAA batteries, but is much cheaper):

http://www.bricklink....asp?P=87513c01

This one can not be used at all in this design!:

http://www.bricklink....asp?P=59510c01

The other trailer I designed can use this Battery Box!

The digital software I use does not supply the normal Battery Box that has the same looks and dimension as the Rechargeable Battery... :sceptic:

I will change this in the inventory list anyways! Thanks for asking and giving me this idea! :wink:

Thanks, i know i have to use the first one.

I have already finisted building the truck.

Next weekend i will build the trailer. maybe i will post a photo of this awesome creation.

Thanks, i know i have to use the first one.

I have already finisted building the truck.

Next weekend i will build the trailer. maybe i will post a photo of this awesome creation.

Great! And you are most welcome! :thumbup:

Nice that you have the truck finished already. Do you have all parts for the trailer already or are you waiting for some to be delivered?

Have fun building the trailer, I am sure you will have fun. Yes please share yours with us, I am sure we all do love to see some pictures. You can just post them here in this topic or in the topic on the truck, that is up to you! :wink::thumbup:

Great! And you are most welcome! :thumbup:

Nice that you have the truck finished already. Do you have all parts for the trailer already or are you waiting for some to be delivered?

Have fun building the trailer, I am sure you will have fun. Yes please share yours with us, I am sure we all do love to see some pictures. You can just post them here in this topic or in the topic on the truck, that is up to you! :wink::thumbup:

Some missing parts, that i have already ordered.

Well, slightly modified trailer from your instructions Ingmar. :classic:

22838E58-A850-4808-8799-15EEEB05BA2C_zpsqfptdfhp.jpg

3EC13814-E9BC-4BDC-B477-F9A41CE8191F_zpsuq3q4ytk.jpg

38E0330B-5823-43C9-A5AC-C3894A6B14BC_zpsdnspsiek.jpg

Need lots and lots of more red panels though... :laugh:

Edited by Lundgren

That is nice indeed and yes you need more... much more... red panels for sure :wink:

As you might know I build such a trailer myself a couple of years ago. Because of the weight I won't build it myself again. Unless there is an extremely smart solution to keep the weight down :classic: Helium might do the job :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never the less, I wish you lots of fun building this refer, it looks amazing, that is for sure!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What about using the those flat, square Technic panels to make the sides of the trailer and keep it light? A bit like in Madoca's Winh Body Truck.

What about using the those flat, square Technic panels to make the sides of the trailer and keep it light? A bit like in Madoca's Winh Body Truck.

Well, that actually might work, especially when it comes to reducing the weight.

For me the thing is I don't like the looks of those panels, sorry :blush: That means not in a Model Team alike concept as these trucks are.

For the Wing Body Truck of Madoca there obviously couldn't be any better solution though, that is for sure!!! :thumbup:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

In a rerelease/redesign of this refer I build about 4 years ago I want to use those panels you mentioned too. The trailer I build back then used these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=48288

Also light weighted, but adding the supportive structure made the entire build about 2,5kg and that is to heavy. It works and you can drive it around, but for me there was no fun to it at all... :blush:

The panels you use don't need any supportive structure so you win a lot on the solution I used, that is for sure!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::wub::laugh:

Keep us informed, hope you manage to keep it under 2kg and even under 1,5kg maybe, who knows... :sweet: