just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21110 Research Institute/Female Minifigure Set

I wonder what TLGs reaction would be to a set that would try to portray a less romanticized/stereotyped and more realistic take on medieval´or piratical life...

Well, scurvy can make your skin yellow, and so minifigs are already well prepared for that.

Anyway, hopefully the set plays its own little role in nudging showing girls (and boys) towards STEM fields.

In my social feeds alone, I've seen two people whose daughters were lucky enough to get this set say they are now far more excited about STEM and Lego. The normalisation of play figures in such fields is more important than many realise, hence my ongoing disappointment with how limited this set was and Lego's seeming lack of interest in doing another run. (Interesting also that the other 'real world' science set sold out rapidly — although not this rapidly — and didn't get another run; the fantasy and licensed stuff, though, carries on.)

I wonder what TLGs reaction would be to a set that would try to portray a less romanticized/stereotyped and more realistic take on medieval´or piratical life...

Anyway, hopefully the set plays its own little role in nudging showing girls (and boys) towards STEM fields.

Real-life female scientists are probably easier to tell kids about than what pirates really did to each other... :distressed::enough::cry3::distressed::tongue:

Given that the Exo Suit was front-page on the GB store this week, despite being a 'limited run Ideas set', I suspect factory capacity is the only obvious block to more sets. But really it'd be a horrible shame if this set wasn't on more general release (or at least wider availability) before the holidays.

I hope they'll make more. I'd love one of these, but the aftermarket prices are ridiculous.

I was at the King of Prussia store a few weeks ago. They said they are getting in a few every week and that TLG is not selling them online for the foreseeable future due to the demand.

He suggested to call Wednesday Mornings and they can put 1 aside for you.

All sold out now. Someone was saying that a US LEGO store gets 40+ of them a week, whether they are actually selling those out every week is a mystery!

I checked the availability on the website here in the States, and it said that due to the overwhelming popularity of the set they were considering more runs. So that's encouraging? There's not a LEGO Store near me (closest one's 2 hours away!)

That message has been up for a month, so it seems it taking them a while to consider it :P

They seem to have made it available in countries other than the US, where previously they were completely sold out as well, so it's a good sign. Perhaps the States is late to the party for once!

They seem to have made it available in countries other than the US, where previously they were completely sold out as well, so it's a good sign. Perhaps the States is late to the party for once!

I got mine 2 weeks ago here at a LEGO Store in Canada, the 40 sets a week reference was said by someone about a LEGO store in Chicago only this week, so they still are attempting to get them to the North American Market at least in LBR Stores. They have not restocked S@H for this market since Oct.

They are available in Australia again, would have been nice to know a few days ago when i placed an order.

Curious also that in the EU stores at least, the limit appears to be 5. I'm pretty sure it was 2 or even 1 last time round. (And I know that in UK stores, people were restricted to a single set, even if they had more than one child, which was a huge pity.)

They are available in Australia again, would have been nice to know a few days ago when i placed an order.

I'm glad I discovered this forum today. I'll be able to grab one with my vip points along with my order for the Seacow.

It is wonderful to see RI sell so well. Maybe LEGO was testing the waters to see how well it would go over. The answer is a resounding "Yes!," so let's hope that they sell it for at least a year. It makes a wonderful gift at 20US and is based on real life, not something dreamed up...which is okay as long as there are still some interesting sets that are based on reality.

Many of us want to build museums, and this set opens the door to that. Add the small museum set and you have a great start for a larger museum build.

We are hoping that there are more sets in this "research" line showing scientists at work. And it is very cool that the figs are female. Wow! All four of the adults in our house have science degrees and work experience in scientific jobs. Hoorah for a focus on science!

What other types of scientists would you like to see portrayed in the "Research theme?"

What other types of scientists would you like to see portrayed in the "Research theme?"

I am working on modifying my RI to feature the more realistic characters I've got down the hall from me, including a crazed scientist (me) and Hazmat guy (he only shows up occasionally when we are using some noxious solvents). Any scientist or technician in labcoats or blue work uniforms, neoprene gloves, and safety glasses would be great. Some one like Dilbert's pointy haired boss or an old curmudgeon (doesn't every lab have one or two floating around) would fit in well as. Safety inspectors, grant monitors, and quality trainers would round out the lot. Plenty of room for MOCS here if LEGO doesn't follow through.

Edited by JGW3000

Well, obviously at least another half-dozen palaeontologists, each with their own dinosaur fossils, because dinosaurs! \o/

Still, I liked the geologist and robotics engineer from the original designs, and maybe a crazed scientist or a zoologist would be another.

They sold out so fast here in the States I thought I would have to pass on this set. But on a recent visit to Spain I saw a couple in a department store, so I nabbed one.

I'm waiting a couple of years until my daughter is old enough so we can build it together. :classic:

I'm not sure about this idea of maknig it a series or even a theme. First, Minecraft has become an overfavored example to all Ideas/Cuusoo projects, which failed passing or have passed once but don't get a second set.

We should notice that the project was meant to be "female fig project", not the later "research theme". We may continue the research routine, but that means some other females from the original project (ex, female judge) would not be able to return.

The major issue as an independent series is the conflict with current themes. Friends seem to stick to the main Friends, who have interests in those professional things, instead of introducing other adult women who work in Heartlake City. Mean while, LEGO City aka LEGO Police, could be in charge of the City people instead. We've seen small City sets like that, so I'm sure all characters from this project could, too.

The other main debate is its original name "female minifigure sets". It was orignially a single opinion against LEGO's lack of female minifigures in modern sets (which have been slightly improved this year). Making more sets of this series would literally make it a "female fig supplement pack" despite there are building details. My suggestion is to add one male character when one set already includes more than three females, as said, if LEGO stick to the "research" topic, not "gender".

If LEGO treat it like an elevated version of LEGO City, I seriously hope that they invent more in this project. Not letting fans to expect a more sophiscated Paleontologist in CMF line. (Of course, it's interesting to bring those scientific CMFs into this set.

Edited by Dorayaki