42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader Rating  

379 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Makes 8275 dozer look small

p7100059m.jpg

Nice! If you have any of the past few Technic flagships, could you place it next to them to see how it sizes up to those?

Just ordered the new loader @ valuebrick.at for 169 Euro.

Let's see if it's a good deal. you can order only one Set. Special offer price til 31 August.

Apparently they don't ship to UK......anybody knows if it's true or if there a way get the sets shipped in UK??

I just opened mine, and it did not contain 2v receivers either. So I have sent a request to LEGO to get what i have paid for. Even though 1v might work just fine in this model, the graphics on the box clearly states that you will get 2v, so this just is not good enough LEGO. If this is the case for the whole first production LEGO might have screwed up big time.

Jim has posted about the receivers already

Let's keep this thread about the Volvo. Please start a different topic about instructions for B-models :thumbup:

On a more important matter; I had mail conversation with the Technic Team today, after they had noticed the discussion about the V1 vs. V2 receiver, and wanted to let us in the fan community know a bit more what happened. Let me try to summarize the discussion:

Apparently, the V2 IR Receiver was developed for use in the 9398 4X4 Crawler. The 4X4 Crawler Power Functions set-up (two L motors for driving and one Servo motor for steering on one IR Receiver) has some specific needs to make the model perform the way it does. That is why the V2 Receiver was developed. The 40030 Volvo Wheel loader has a different Power Functions set-up (four motors on two receivers) and for different reasons (e.g. different motor characteristics, different drive train in the model, model play experience etc.) this set-up is more suited for the “V1” IR Receiver. From what I could understand, the model will not perform well with the V2 Receiver! The only visual difference between the “V1” and V2 Receivers are the printed “V2” on the receiver. When developing the packaging TLG simply put the wrong pictures on the box – it should have been pictures of the “V1” Receiver, as this is what is in the model. I was told that they are now correcting this error, so that all boxes going forward will be correct!

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

I just opened mine, and it did not contain 2v receivers either. So I have sent a request to LEGO to get what i have paid for. Even though 1v might work just fine in this model, the graphics on the box clearly states that you will get 2v, so this just is not good enough LEGO. If this is the case for the whole first production LEGO might have screwed up big time.

They made an error in putting the wrong pictures on the box, that's all. V2 receivers aren't that great with M motors anyway.

The only thing I have against this set is the price to parts ratio, otherwise I would just buy it

For NZ buyers it is cheaper to buy from BL and pay shipping,it will still save about 20% on S@H prices. I think that with the PF pieces it is on a par with all the other sets for price. Just a pity us down under get crippled on prices they want us to pay.

^That's crazy that TLG would price them that far out of reality down there.

In Norway it costs even more, 2400 kr converts to 382 US dollars or 450 NZ dollar.

The fact that lego did not correct the box is quite sad, because the error was pointed out at least few times by the community. I wonder if they did even read the reviews, since all pointed out this error.

Anyway, it's a nice set, but not an incredible set I would say. Although I think it will be hard to beat 8043 excavator, which is basically 1 big gearbox on threads :-)

What I really dislike about the set is that the battery pack cannot be easily removed; you take it out with whole bumper. If you have few sets, but just 6 batteries, it is hard to move them - usually I would just exchange the battery box, but with 42030 it is not convenient.

Anyway, here are few pictures where you can compare it to other sets. It is visibly bigger than 8043 or 42006; in fact 8043 looks like a compact excavator near it.

3TXnpPT.jpg

F9c76XA.jpg

zdif4cm.jpg

KgX3x80.jpg

yydTcyJ.jpg

Edited by dropship

I just finished assembly of mine, it took about 2 days, with constant interruptions. I am really happy with how it turned out. The jerky steering was a worry, but I found if you keep it moving before hitting the steering control, its not that big of a deal looks pretty smooth, need to learn to plan the path ahead, so can steer on the move.

It is weird how the extra parts I ended up with are exactly the same as in the review. I always thought there was some randomness about it...I also thought I might of left a black pin out somewhere, I found it sitting where it shouldn't of been after one of my innumerable interruptions..but I have the same number left over...whew...LOL.

Now I need to go clean off the tires, after a couple complete circuits of the house, I realize I need to vacuum up the pet hair...arghh.

I did a test too, it kept going about 5 feet out of my view into another room before it stopped, that seems pretty good for the IR functionality...

Mine is also V1, far as I can tell..

Later than usual, but here it is my review for this set. :classic:

As usual you have written a great review!

I like the fact you have expanded the review with pros, cons and more judging criteria.

Nice video too. I really like your work :thumbup:

Thanks Jim!

It is amazing how we all find different details to highlight in our reviews, always!

Keep the good work too! :classic: