14312762462_7e4c7543f1_z.jpg

The Sapphire is a heavy galley of Kaliphlin, used for transport of large or valuable cargo up and down Historica.

14311274251_c7372fd423_z.jpg

A renowned treasure hunter is riding the Sapphire back to Kalihlin, after exchanging her latest find for a unique chicken golem from Omurtag.

14313997294_f61e9b9254_z.jpg

Each oar is powered by husky slave rowers.

(Note that many of them are wearing police uniforms and Viking helmets. There's probably some Norweigian rock band that dresses like that. Moving on...)

14127986820_310e8a9dd7_z.jpg

A cookstove on deck provides hot meals for the crew. It's set on a bed of thick clay, so stray sparks won't reach the wooden deck.

14314017264_2f8bf9eddf_z.jpg

The lavishly furnished cabin.

14127945928_00c380dde1_z.jpg

The ship has excellent defenses, such as crossbows and this light-weight ballista.

14128006940_0b13b841ce_z.jpg

The bow is armed with a modified version of the Barquan Fire system first developed in Kaliphlin.

14314169384_15584f4ed9_z.jpg

Swift and powerful, the Sapphire will continue to ply the waves around Kaliphlin for years to come.

I originally was going to use these hulls for a commandeered Mitgardian vessel, but then I saw Gabe's Barquan Dromon. I decided to use the hulls as the basis for a Kaliphlin ship instead, and I think it turned out rather well. Thanks for viewing!

EDIT for UoP claims:

+1 Waves

+1 Shipping by sea / water

+1 Minifig posing

Edited by Thomas of Tortuga

Very nice!

(Note that many of them are wearing police uniforms and Viking helmets. There's probably some Norweigian rock band that dresses like that. Moving on...)

:laugh::pir-laugh::pir_laugh2:

UoP claims:

+1 Waves

+1 Shipping by sea / water

+1 Minifig posing

+1 for Shipping by sea / water

+1 for Minifig posing

I'm going to leave off the vote for waves not because I don't think they're good (I actually was going to comment anyway that I like the white bow splash) but just because I'm pretty new and I'm not sure what counts. Great ship!

Edited by nstickney

Cool ship!! You can definitely tell it is from Kaliphlin. Nice job with the rowing section, the shields and the pizza-oven :thumbup:

Really nice build. Great parts use for the rowlocks, the oven is superb too. Very nice overall design, Great job

Nice, this is one of my favorite Kaliphlin ships. The curved front and multicolor canopies are fine details, as are the shields and sloping sides.

I like the shields along the sides. They break up the brown quite nicely! Also your figs as always are very dynamic.

Thanks! Those were actually the last part I added, but they do add a splash of color in that area :classic:

Nice job, i like how the bow curves around like that. :thumbup:

Thank you!

Nice! Gotta get mine up now! :classic:

Thanks! Yep :tongue:

Very nice!

+1 for Shipping by sea / water

+1 for Minifig posing

I'm going to leave off the vote for waves not because I don't think they're good (I actually was going to comment anyway that I like the white bow splash) but just because I'm pretty new and I'm not sure what counts. Great ship!

Thank you! Basically, all you do is ask yourself "does this person know how to build waves?" If the answer is yes, then you approve it.

Cool ship!! You can definitely tell it is from Kaliphlin. Nice job with the rowing section, the shields and the pizza-oven :thumbup:

Well, of course they serve pizza!

Brilliant work! Love the whole thing!

Thanks, Vlad!

Really nice build. Great parts use for the rowlocks, the oven is superb too. Very nice overall design, Great job

Thank you!

Nice, this is one of my favorite Kaliphlin ships. The curved front and multicolor canopies are fine details, as are the shields and sloping sides.

Thank you so much!

Any word on my UoP claims, Kaliphlinites? :blush:

Nice one mate, I like the flame thrower at the front!Very beautiful job!

This whole ship is amazing! However, there is one thing that absolutely stands out to me more than anything else as awesomeness, and that is the flesh hands on the monkey. That is such a perfect touch!

Nice one mate, I like the flame thrower at the front!Very beautiful job!

Thank you! Why do only southern ships carry those flamethrowers? :tongue:

This whole ship is amazing! However, there is one thing that absolutely stands out to me more than anything else as awesomeness, and that is the flesh hands on the monkey. That is such a perfect touch!

Thank you! About those hands- those are actually from three years ago, when I got some POTC sets and was trying to find yellow hands to make the torsos blend in. That monkey had four free hands, and the color of the flesh hands looks so much more realistic, so I've just kept it that way :grin:

A lot of details to like here, especially the color scheme and all the deck goings-ons. A neat flamethrower system too. Good work!

Cool ship there man! My favorite parts are the canopy and the ships siding, sweet job there. I also like that last photoshopped picture on the water, looks great. The only thing is those dark brown spy-glass pieces on the rear/side of the ship look a little out of place, like maybe they need to have tiles or something placed on them or something?... But other than that, great job! :sweet:

Great ship Thomas, you've got a nice line with the bow and the middle section, and lots of cool little touches too. I especially like the oar ports, the wooden pallisade with the sheilds, the Baquan fire system and the pizza oven (why didn't i think to put one of those on my ship? Genius...! :moar: ) I like the stern section too, but it's execution is a bit boxy and has a somewhat unfinished look - and i'm not sure how ppl get up to the wheeldeck, it's so high and i can't see any stairs or hatch? I also might have made the masts a few bricks taller as well.

For UoP credits, i am totes happy to give you shipping by sea and minifig posing. Waves i am really conflicted about. On the one hand, the effect is really nice and has a degree of naturalism that is often lacking in lego waves, on the other hand, i personally find scattered lego elements a bit of a cheat, despite it's widespread use as a technique. For me i think the deciding factor is the use of the rumpled sheet - it seems that the water effect relies at least as much upon that as it does the elements themselves, and because of this i'm going to encourage you to try again for this credit. Judging by the effect here you certainly have a good grasp of water behaviour and mechanics, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem for you! :classic:

Great job on this ship! I really like the unique style, like the inward sloped walls along the top of the main section and the nice aft cabin with the balcony around it. Excellent work!

Great ship, it has a very unique feel to it. I love the overall shape you achieved, well done!

Very nice ship overall, the shape especially of the forward and mid sections looks great! The bow reminds me of ancient Egyptian boats? I also like the multitude of details like the Barqan Fire system, the bars as partially submerged oars and the rounded slope canopies :classic:

The stern part looks slightly unfinished to me with all those exposed studs, so there is some room for improvement there in my opinion.

For UoP I agree that the waves rely a tad too much on non-lego elements (even though the effect is excellent!) but definitely +1 for shipping by sea and minifig posing!

+1 UoP DoH for all claims (sorry, I always seem to overlook UoP credits)

Thanks!

Very good ship. I like the masts and the oven is a nice touch :thumbup:

Thank you!

A lot of details to like here, especially the color scheme and all the deck goings-ons. A neat flamethrower system too. Good work!

Thank you! It took plenty of tries to find a coherant color scheme :wink:

Cool ship there man! My favorite parts are the canopy and the ships siding, sweet job there. I also like that last photoshopped picture on the water, looks great. The only thing is those dark brown spy-glass pieces on the rear/side of the ship look a little out of place, like maybe they need to have tiles or something placed on them or something?... But other than that, great job! :sweet:

Thank you! I tried it with plates between them, but I thought it looked a mite bulky. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Great ship Thomas, you've got a nice line with the bow and the middle section, and lots of cool little touches too. I especially like the oar ports, the wooden pallisade with the sheilds, the Baquan fire system and the pizza oven (why didn't i think to put one of those on my ship? Genius...! :moar: ) I like the stern section too, but it's execution is a bit boxy and has a somewhat unfinished look - and i'm not sure how ppl get up to the wheeldeck, it's so high and i can't see any stairs or hatch? I also might have made the masts a few bricks taller as well.

For UoP credits, i am totes happy to give you shipping by sea and minifig posing. Waves i am really conflicted about. On the one hand, the effect is really nice and has a degree of naturalism that is often lacking in lego waves, on the other hand, i personally find scattered lego elements a bit of a cheat, despite it's widespread use as a technique. For me i think the deciding factor is the use of the rumpled sheet - it seems that the water effect relies at least as much upon that as it does the elements themselves, and because of this i'm going to encourage you to try again for this credit. Judging by the effect here you certainly have a good grasp of water behaviour and mechanics, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem for you! :classic:

Thank you, Gabe! I'm glad you like the pizza oven :tongue: I agree about the cabin, I wanted to make it seem imposing and more pronounced than the rest of the ship, but I guess I would up not adding enough detail. I didn't have nearly enough plates left to finish the deck on top of the cabin, nor did I have enough cylinder bricks to make the masts taller. I've got a smaller collection than you :blush:

Thanks for the feedback about the waves. They were actually one of those things where I was rearranging the backdrop and noticed that the 1x1s naturally fell into that arrangement, so I decided to use them as waves. I see what you mean about them relying too much on the sheet, although I suppose the same technique could work without the sheet underneath.

Great job on this ship! I really like the unique style, like the inward sloped walls along the top of the main section and the nice aft cabin with the balcony around it. Excellent work!

Thank you! Those sloping walls were a lot of fun to make :classic:

Great ship, it has a very unique feel to it. I love the overall shape you achieved, well done!

Thank you!

Very nice ship overall, the shape especially of the forward and mid sections looks great! The bow reminds me of ancient Egyptian boats? I also like the multitude of details like the Barqan Fire system, the bars as partially submerged oars and the rounded slope canopies :classic:

The stern part looks slightly unfinished to me with all those exposed studs, so there is some room for improvement there in my opinion.

For UoP I agree that the waves rely a tad too much on non-lego elements (even though the effect is excellent!) but definitely +1 for shipping by sea and minifig posing!

Thank you! Yes, the bow was modeled after ancient Egyptian galleys. Sometimes, I think that any Mediterranean/Arabian faction has to have flamethrowers on their ships :laugh:

I ran out of plates to cover the stern area, or I would definitely have filled that in. Thanks for the input about the waves!

Stunning, I like how you've used the hull pieces and managed to create the feeling of a brick build ship!

Great work on this ship Thomas, especially like the sloped sides, very realistic. I'll give you UoP credits for both shipping by sea and minifig posing (or do you already have enough? I lost track). I'd give you waves too, because personally I think using the sheet was pretty ingenious, but it seems there's not much chance of you getting four for that anyways.