I finally managed to complete this amazing project, which is to build my own studio. Behold, this is not just another modular building exercise.

As an architect (not a LEGO architect but real architect, haha), I want to put what I learnt in school and work to the brick city. I went through the typical architectural process, from sketching to form study to actual building it, and it was fun!

The idea comes from the basic LEGO bricks. If we can use the bricks for form study in architectural model, what if it grows and becomes the building? Also, during brick building, we actually just do two basic operations: addition and subtraction. Through these operations, spaces and voids are formed and make openings and skylights. This is what this studio is presenting.

The new studio is not just a landmark in the city, but a milestone. It does not just create a building for functions and sit in the brick city, but it sets a new path and inject design culture into the town. Now let's take a look at the contemporary architecture style!

(here I use the typical architectural presentation style, please enjoy!)

20140529-01.jpg

20140529-02.jpg

20140529-03.jpg

20140529-04.jpg

20140529-05.jpg

20140529-06.jpg

20140529-07.jpg

20140529-08.jpg

20140529-09.jpg

I hope all of you enjoy this architectural project! Thanks!

EDITED: My LEGO studio is finally up on LEGO Ideas, and please help and vote for it. Once it has 10000 votes, it will be assessed by LEGO to see if it can be a real product. Support me now, thanks!!!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/67217

Edited by niteangel

Adding some modern building for Lego city, nice to see we are transforming not only in our reality but in our toys too!!

Very nicely done...as another Architect here in Glasgow, Scotland...I really like your approach and concept to the design and building of your MOC!

You should lay down some nice floor coverings to tie your internal spaces together :)

bravo, I just spent perfectly (lego) educative 15 minutes of my brake in hospital :) nice... m.

This looks fantastic, the shape is very different to what you normally with Lego buildings, I much prefer modern styles as well. The indented windows and garden ares just top it off.

I really like the office furniture, especially the photocopier and filing cabinet.

The only problem for me is that the colour is a bit plain (for a Lego city that is, in real life staight white would look great) I can't help but wonder what it would look like if each of the three main building sections were different primary colours (I see blue for the section that juts out the front)

Very interesting architecture, and smartly built. The interior is also great, I love the office stuff :classic:

AWESOME designing there 'niteangel'.....wow so much detail and those pieces of office equipment.....you give me ideas ! :laugh:

Brick On 'niteangel' ! :grin:

The design gives a great feel to your Lego city. I love the shape and color for this modern building. Adding the right amount of color inside offsets the white perfectly. Your copy machine looks like the real thing, but where is the frustrated and angry person dealing with the paper jam? :D

It's always good to see different buildings being submitted to this forum for consideration. This, niteangel, is very well executed. I like how you've described the form, function and design process and the end result is a striking example of modern architecture.

The office equipment you've built are excellent, but it's the details you've included in the main building that I like the most. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into this.

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing this, niteangel. It's really nice to see how an architect would tackle a MOC. Maybe you and gazumpty should make an online course on architectural idea generation on MOC'ing :wink:

Regarding the building, it's an interesting concept with the addition and subtraction. It gives an clean, yet interesting exterior, though I agree with Xyver that an all-white LEGO building tends to get a bit too plain. The interior really resembles a modern, open office, white and clean with a dash of colour here and there. And great plotter!

This is a gorgeous design, and beautifully presented!

The building is very nice, and the attention to detail - especially with the interior - is impressive. It does look a bit strange when placed next to the old-fashioned modulars, but it's the sort of thing you'll find in modern cities, so it's still realistic.

Your presentation, though, is absolutely superb. It's not hard to see that you've put quite a bit of work into that. Well done :)

Thanks all of you for the comments and compliments! It's very encouraging and I hope some of you are inspired to do something similar and impact your own city!

I know that design has no end. Every moment and then we want to refine our own creations and make it more perfect. I'll continue to work on this for sure!

The design gives a great feel to your Lego city. I love the shape and color for this modern building. Adding the right amount of color inside offsets the white perfectly. Your copy machine looks like the real thing, but where is the frustrated and angry person dealing with the paper jam? :D

Haha, thanks, and your idea is interesting! I'll definitely make a shot of that!

Thank you for sharing this, niteangel. It's really nice to see how an architect would tackle a MOC. Maybe you and gazumpty should make an online course on architectural idea generation on MOC'ing :wink:

Regarding the building, it's an interesting concept with the addition and subtraction. It gives an clean, yet interesting exterior, though I agree with Xyver that an all-white LEGO building tends to get a bit too plain. The interior really resembles a modern, open office, white and clean with a dash of colour here and there. And great plotter!

Wow I'm too far from giving an architecture MOC course! But I would no doubt share more ideas and answer questions regarding making better modular buildings!

The building is very nice, and the attention to detail - especially with the interior - is impressive. It does look a bit strange when placed next to the old-fashioned modulars, but it's the sort of thing you'll find in modern cities, so it's still realistic.

Your presentation, though, is absolutely superb. It's not hard to see that you've put quite a bit of work into that. Well done :)

Exactly that's what our city is about! Every city envolves and the new will take over the old ones eventually. That course of history is happening here within the bricks now!

Oh by the way my sister is studying architecture too. Is there any tips on usage of LEGO in architecture?

Oh by the way my sister is studying architecture too. Is there any tips on usage of LEGO in architecture?

I think LEGO bricks can be a good presentation tools for mass / form study, and I am sure the Architecture Studio set will help her a lot on that part ;)

I've never seen a sold white LEGO building look so good - brilliant design!. Keeping the tones inside the building simple works well & stops it looking too fussy.

I really like this it's simple yet complicated , i am speechless ..... bravo sir bravo :grin::thumbup:

Very nicely done, the rhythm of the windows and balance on the exterior is superb! The interior spaces are nice too, particularly the walkway overlooking the conference room and office equipment. Your dedication to getting everything just right really shows through in all the sketching you did and the well-thought out use of space and light.

My only suggestion might be a bit more color... some brightly colored tile/rugs on interior floors maybe? It's very modern and white, which I'm sure is exactly what you wanted, but some colored accents here and there (maybe an abstract sculpture in the corner?) would be nice relief.

Edited by rob-cubed

It is very easy to make a building of this type dull. But this is not the case. There is a harmony in the relations of the different "blocks" of the house, the placement of the windows,... Hats off, this is a great building!

Thanks for the comments!

Very nicely done, the rhythm of the windows and balance on the exterior is superb! The interior spaces are nice too, particularly the walkway overlooking the conference room and office equipment. Your dedication to getting everything just right really shows through in all the sketching you did and the well-thought out use of space and light.

My only suggestion might be a bit more color... some brightly colored tile/rugs on interior floors maybe? It's very modern and white, which I'm sure is exactly what you wanted, but some colored accents here and there (maybe an abstract sculpture in the corner?) would be nice relief.

I will certainly work on the interior a little bit, maybe a carpet or like you said a sculpture would be nice. Such details will not only add a bit of colors, but also add some more "fun" to the internal space. I will see what I can do! Thanks again!