Gilbert Despathens

[GNAR] The Mirror

IMAG3444_zpssckukzpx.jpg

The Mirror is my entry for the Avalonian warship category.

IMAG3448_zpsw6fhsp5o.jpg

Usually sited in misty weather around the Dark Isles, the ship is only visibly crewed by a lone knight in black and white.

IMAG3454_zpscahfcypo.jpg

IMAG3468_zpsc5yovgll.jpg

The only other figure ever to be seen on the Mirror is, of course, the one stationed right above the ram.

IMAG3469_zpsenzzaoux.jpg

Despite the strange nature of the ship, the pair of dark green hose wrapped around the rear mast-head prove that it is loyal to Avalonia.

IMAG3465-1_zpsg3zhrzgg.jpg

Full Ship

IMAG3472_zpssljyayzl.jpg

My contribution to historical accuracy - rather than a wheel, a bar attached to the steering column (whipstaff) is used to control the rudder, which can be seen...

IMAG3473_zps9q5duekh.jpg

...here.

This has to be one of the (if not the very) best ships I have ever made. There's an interesting story behind it, too. I was competing in a MOC-off against a guy on MOCpages where the objective was to show a sea battle. The weekend before the deadline came around, and I only had one ship. Then I saw a picture of the rival entry, and I decided that I needed to build a sixty-stud warship in the day and a half I had remaining... And I did. I'm only glad I didn't give myself more time to think, or I would have talked myself out of it.

Ha, ha, where have I seen this before? :tongue:

I still love it Gilly! :sweet::thumbup:

Edited by Infernum

Great work! The white accents look really nice, and the figurehead design is excellent. The knight seems a bit lonely up there, though the desolate ship deck certainly lends an eerie feel to the build.

Great that you entered the ship! This is great and it has so many great solutions and details! Like the cmf stands! :thumbup:

Excellent ship! The hull shape looks good and I like the black white color-scheme and decorations :thumbup:

Nice ship!! It's an interesting way to make the hull, so congratz on that :classic:

Hey nice use of the minifig bases :) I really like the decorations around the ship but the black statue/girl at the front the most!

Very spooky ship Gilbert! The brickbuilt hull has some lovely angles and the white detailling along the sides looks a treat too. The shaping is so nice, i really feel the lack of rigging to complete the ship. But this is very nice given the time constraints you were under! :classic:

This is a beautiful ship, and a great support for Avalonia's fleet. I very much like the size and the unique style.

That is really nice. I wish I had enough black pieces to make a ship like that. WHat did you make the sails out of? Black construction paper?