1. 1. How Do You Rate This Set?

• - Poor
    • - Below Average
    • - Average
    • - Above Average
    • - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_62.png

14111010578_6c964d5c9c_c.jpg

The Trevi Fountain is a wonderful piece of architecture in Rome. I looked it up when I learned I was getting the set, it's really a wonderful piece of sculpting. As an architecture set, there are no minifigures, which are a main draw for me, but as an engineer these sets look quite good. Thank you to LEGO and Bonaparte for letting me do this review!

Set Information:

Name: Trevi Fountain

Set Number: 21020

Pieces: 731

Price: £49.00

Ages: 12+

Theme: Architecture

Year of Release: 2014

Brickset

Bricklink

Flickr Set

Box:

14294347831_e3b8ff00dc_c.jpg

The box is the typical set up for Architecture sets; black and minimalist. However, this is the European box so it doesn't have a part count on the front.

14111146807_c7e4fbb723_c.jpg

On the back we have the usual information about the set and the real location.

14274512706_94d61fa350_c.jpg

The sides of the box show some alternating images as well as the set name in some other languages.

14111003928_bed7a142a0_c.jpg

On the bottom of the box there is a huge block of warnings. The 1:1 image is of one of the 1x2 trans light blue tiles. I find the faded image of the set really intriguing.

Contents:

14317831513_02ba53f9ba_c.jpg

Inside the box there are six bags, the manual, and the survey sheet.

14111029268_ae4c8d14ab_c.jpg

None of these are new, just recolors, however, it's still nice to have them. I'm really excited to get some 1x1 trans clear tiles!

14110981769_58a1d29ab3_c.jpg

Lots of extra 1x1 parts, including some tiles.

Manual:

14294340141_1fec73481f_c.jpg

The manual front has the same image of the front of the box and it also says what languages the manual has.

14274522226_4c705732a5_c.jpg

On the first page this lovely print of the real structure greets you.

14295726472_7d472f59b3_c.jpg

The manual is laid out nicely I had no problems with colors. We also have some nice "fun-facts" on every few pages about the real structure.

14294330571_00a9c127ef_c.jpg

This was the only slightly confusing part. LEGO did a great job showing which parts were being put down, they outlined them in red so it's clear.

14111033588_c884832457_c.jpg

Seems like someone always asks for this page, so here it is. It didn't want to cooperate for the picture though.

14295715022_4df2ba073a_c.jpg

Interestingly, there was this survey sheet also packed in the box. It's great to see LEGO looking for our feedback!

The Build:

14111002658_8787a988b8_c.jpg

The build progresses quickly enough. It was a bit slow putting down the water tiles.

14274508156_a11764a0c5_c.jpg

Adding the windows was rather time intensive, you had two separate x12 builds.

14110979789_ab783c5929_c.jpg

This was a fun build. The rock work and the windows were quite fun to build.

Finished Model:

14111108827_66ab9ec568_c.jpg

There is actually quite a bit of depth to this model. So many offsets to make the model.

14111107297_c80579aac5_c.jpg

From the side you can see how far out the fountain pool goes out, as well as some of the very many cool offsets.

14294299161_a4752153d0_c.jpg

This set is obviously not meant to be viewed from this angle. But this shows you the trans blue bricks that add some great depth to the windows.

14297674255_773c2f3048_c.jpg

I'm not sure if I like the horses. The legs just seem to out of proportion. They do integrate well with the rocks.

14111117067_b1ed85e403_c.jpg

There are so many offsets here, I don't know where to begin. The four 1x1 cones are supposed to be statues.

14295704082_90cd0ff22e_c.jpg

Here you can see the depth that the blue bricks behind the trans clear ones add. It really adds a great level of detail.

14274525616_e9770113d9_c.jpg

The fountain starts up by the statue in the middle, then cascades down to the middle of the pool. LEGO did a great job giving it a fluid feel.

14111010040_97c859899a_c.jpg

I had a hard time finding a picture of what the LEGO set represents. This shot was the best one I found. But from it you can really tell how good a job LEGO did recreating this wonderful piece of Architecture at this small scale.

14295692812_9d1a0043c6_c.jpg

One last shot with my sigfig to give you a sense of scale.

Conclusion:

I really do think this set is nice. For representing such a large structure, LEGO did a great job taking it and making it at this small scale. There are few discernible details at this size, but to make it as large and detailed as it would need to be, I'd see it at about the size of the latest Arkham Asylum set. The water and rock work is exceptional.

Ratings:

Design: 8/10
For the size it is, LEGO did a great job designing it.

Price: 8/10
£50 is about $60, which seems reasonable for a 700 piece set.

Parts: 9/10
There is a large selection of white parts, and those 1x1 trans clear tiles are just great to own!

Total: 25/30

14110979789_ab783c5929_c.jpg

Like this review? Want to learn how to make good reviews? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

logo-academy-v4.png

Outstanding review, Masked Builder! It's great to see a brand new iconic Architecture set! It is indeed a nice piece of building especially after able to see it in real life. Well done and thank you for sharing.

It is an awesome architecture set. I'll definitely get one for myself. Thanks for the wonderful review. I am seriously enjoying all the pictures. :wub:

Nice review, MB!

Good idea to choose a darker background against the all-white bricks used in the set.

I love Rome (my favourite capital in the world!) and of course this fountain, so it will be a definite buy for me. :wub_drool:

I agree with you on the lovely detail Rok Zgalin Kobe was able to implement except for the part in the middle.

In this set it looks like the water would directly run from the spring to the front. In reality there are some terrace like sections that must be vanquished. :look:

Would have been nice if that was included as well.

Besides that it's still a 10/10 set! :classic:

About the parts:

There are actually some very interesting parts in this set. Like you already pointed out, it's 'just' recolors, but nevertheless interesting ones. :wub:

The 1x1 trans-clear tile: It's the only widely available set that features this special part! The only other set it comes in is the LEGO House 4000010 - only available in Billund. Or resellers which were in Billund. :wink:

The white microfig and the white shield are also unique to this set.

All in all: A lovely set and if you are not going to buy it for the beauty, go for it because of the parts. :grin:

Looks like a good set. The only change I would make is to add three coin pieces to have in the fountain.

Yup, I was thinking about throwing some coins in the fountains, too!

It is a must have for us having been there and enjoyed the place so much.

A lovely work of art in real life OMG and as a model as well. Congrats, Mr. Kobe!

Thanks for the many etails and fine photos in the review.

Great review! Thanks, I definitely want to get one, it's a nice model. My favorite part is the flowing water. Least favorite part is the choice of grey tiles in the panels at the center, top, I would rather they were a contrasting cream color instead.

I was under the impression it would go on sale today, but seems it is just viewable on lego.com, it's still not on Shop@Home here in USA.

I'm in love with this already. I love the detail and the fluidity of the water. Any remote idea of when this is coming out?

Isn't the 1x1x6 support in white a new color for this part?

Correct! Sharp eyes, well done! :thumbup:

Lovely build and excellent reviews! The trevi fountain effect must be true as I visit for my 4th time this august!

Isn't the 1x1x6 support in white a new color for this part?

Well hey it is. I'm surprised that it's new. :P

I'm in love with this already. I love the detail and the fluidity of the water. Any remote idea of when this is coming out?

No sorry. I'm surprised that it hasn't been posted yet.

Ugh. I'll get this since I have all the others, and to see how the offsets work out, but I'm still not pleased with the choice of Trevi for this line. With the reduction in scale to get down to a reasonable price-point, we're left with a superdeformed abstraction of the original. That's a shame, because the original is actually a fantastic work of art. This simply cannot do it justice.

Thanks for the review. When I saw the first pictures, I already knew I'll get the set. Partly for the reason it's a lovely rendition of fountain I've visited few years ago, and partly for some interesting parts. The 1x1 trans clear tile is simply sweet, and while not all details can be incorporated in a small scale model like this one, the fountain is still recognizable. Those horses are my favourite detail.

Its on S@H USA now, with an available 1st August date, and $49.99 price...

Hoo boy... That's probably not going to be a Day 1 purchase if the Star Wars Summer wave hits that day, too.

Is the back of the big portico a single large panel?

Edited by rollermonkey

Ironically, I found out about the actual building(?) from another lego related source, namely Brick City. I might get this set as it looks amazing, but the price is high, and lego are also releasing the exo-suit, and the high speed passenger train..... :wacko:

The quality of the review aside, I rated the set itself Poor. I admit to not being a fan of the architecture line because I don't like micro scale, but for the most part I've been able to understand the appeal of these sets. I think they've lost it with this set. And lost it bad. This is a poor representation of a beautiful example of historical architecture. This set doesn't do the real site any justice and looks like a bad MOC, in my opinion. All the classic curves and angles of 18th century architecture and the beauty of the fountain and the sculpture are completely lost and a little white thing with trans-blue windows remains. Boo, I hate to say, but boo.

Nice review, bad set, mediocre parts pack.

I agree that a larger scale could have made possible more of those historical curves and features. Too bad they did not make it larger even though it would have been more expensive. The fountain itself is what I want, so maybe just a part of the front of the building would do.

For a micro scale rendition, it is just okay. But there is way too much detail to do it justice in that small of a build. Good point, Hinck.

Finally, some people who agree with me on this.

I keep laughing about people who have been posting around the 'net that they can't find pictures of 'the back of Trevi Fountain' so that they can compare it to the set 'to see how accurate it is."

The joke of course is that there is no back, only a bunch of buildings that are all connected to each other.

This must be the best Architecture set ever! I especially appreciate the detailed windows and realistic water.