14195634641_49810743e9_c.jpg

Built between 1867 and 1871, the Royal Albert Hall of Arts and Sciences was commissioned by Queen Victoria and named in memory of the Queen Consort Prince Albert, who used to follow Freddie Mercury around, apparently. It was designed in the Italianate Style by Captain Francis Fowke and Major-General Henry Y. D. Scott, who was the very model of a modern Major-General, and cost £200,000 to build.

Situated at the southern edge of Hyde Park in West London, the Hall is perhaps the most prestigious theatre venue in the whole of the United Kingdom. The annual Promenade Concerts, or Proms, have been held here since 1941, during which the playing of the National Anthem is the only time Britons are allowed to show any national pride whatsoever.

Fun fact: The Royal Albert Hall is the British Standard LJ* unit of volume: as in, 'The LEGO Company produces enough plastic bricks annually to fill the Royal Albert Hall$,' much as 'the football pitch' or 'Wales' are the standard units of area.

* LJ = Lazy Journalism

$ I may have made this up.

This is Pandora's and my entry into the Eurobricks Event Architecture Competition in Billund 2014. We came second! :cry_happy:

14196399732_de400f51b3_c.jpg

It's quite an intricate build with two separate rings of 1x4 hinge plates - 16 and 12 sides - producing the 'layer cake' structure.

The inner ring houses vertically-mounted clippy hinges which form the slopes of the glass roof.

14175787076_0f2162f25c_c.jpg

This ring sits in the outer one on tiles: it isn't physically connected ...

... and can be removed, revealing ...

14196399472_9310963bc7_c.jpg

A big hole! :oh: Still, at least now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall. :grin: It would be possible to create a semblance of interior seating, but we thought the model might be best used to store paperclips.

As with any model of this tiny scale, you have to take some liberties with the details.

14012324367_4f864e39d8_c.jpg

There aren't nearly as many windows as there ought to be, but we figured if they can do that with the arches of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, then we can do it here.

Here's the real thing to compare:

2003511144_RoyalAlbertHall1.jpg

Actually, the second ring probably ought to be a plate or two higher, but that's easily fixed.

CopMike very kindly had a lovely tile printed for all the entrants:

14175783486_e09e4baf8b_c.jpg

Somehow that really makes it; thanks Mike! :wub:

Thanks for reading! We hope you enjoyed it. :sweet:

Pandora and Rufus

14012249369_a56e0f791d_c.jpg

flickr

Incredibly! Very clever part use!

Gorgeous model. I love it when people capture the essence of a large building in a pretty small model. Worthy of the Architecture series!

Very nice model and a well deserved 2nd place. The competition was pretty hard at the top 5 places ...

Shame that the 1x3 arch brick does not exist in that orange color. It would improve the square side gaps a bit, but it's still an excellent model!

This is beautiful, especially the glass dome is aoutstanding. There are some great building techniques used, and I like the overall shape.

P.S. I wanted to draw attention to your awesome model by adding it to my Pinterest collection of great LEGO Architecture models, but it seems your Flickr photos are blocking Pinterest.

Was this intentional, or a side effect of using Flickr to share the photos?

My favourite entry at the EB Event. :sweet: I like the way you used the dark orange and tan elements and the way you constructed the dome is very ingenious.

Lovely model, especially the dome. Circular builds are just so tough that most of us won't even contemplate one.

And a great sense of humour/or in the remarks!

Question: How many baby pandas does it take to fill the hole in Royal Albert Hall? More than one I would think.

Thanks everyone! :sweet:

P.S. I wanted to draw attention to your awesome model by adding it to my Pinterest collection of great LEGO Architecture models, but it seems your Flickr photos are blocking Pinterest.

Was this intentional, or a side effect of using Flickr to share the photos?

They weren't public; try now.

They weren't public; try now.

Awesome, thanks! It's now part of my Neoclassical wall (since I don't have a specific collection of Italianate LEGO Builds.)

Sincerely,

---tom

Very well done. I can see a strong resemblance here. I've never heard of this building, but it looks really neat.

I like how you did the dome with the trans pieces. Very clever.

That's really awesome, I'll definitively buy this set. The Lego Architecture Team should take a look at those entries. Well done.

I must have missed you posting this last month :wacko: (I'll blame it on BW building spree...)

I love how you did the glass dome, very deserved second place! :sweet:

(And yey, it fits Fabuland figs! :wub:)