Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#102: Debts

Zepher, can we get a ruling on whether XX's bombs will hurt the party if he attacks as Cannoneer and rolls Shield (Barrage) or Bombards and rolls Critical Hit or Hit? According to the Cannoneer rules, only the elements associated with the bombs affect the outcome of a Barrage/Bombard roll - no other effects of the bombs are mentioned - but we don't want to all die :classic:.

See XX's items.

Cannoneer's Sashes (The damage output of bombs consumed are added to the WP of the Cannoneer's weapon before damage calculation)

Right, but that only says it increases the WP, not that it also adds effects or damages extra targets.

OOC: I've put XX to attack as an Alchemist, since I wouldn't want to risk him attacking as a Cannoneer and rolling 1 at the same time, potentially damaging all of us.

Back of the napkin maths puts worst case scenario (using a XXX bomb and two XX bombs for 70 party damage) at about 1 in 300. Even then, Alexis and XX would survive. And the battle wouldn't be over since the direwolves would re spawn from AoE attack.

Edited by Chromeknight

Somehow that's not all that comforting hahahaha.

OoC: It's a busy weekend for me, folks! My extended family is in town for two graduations (my brother's and cousin's) but I will try my best!

I sadly can't run the round right now - will probably be able to do it in about 12 or so hours, which is a little over the 24 hour mark. I'm sorry.

Does Matthias' canon count as AoE?

In Evel's special, do you mean ecliptic (path of sun across sky) or eliptic (having the shape of an eclipse)? No stress either way, it's just the ex-astronomer pedant in me wants to know!

I'd unfortunately have to say that yes, the cannon does count as AoE - it's not ideal that it does, but I think that it would count that way, sorry.

And it's a copy and paste from Sandy, but I think he probably meant elliptic!

Any wolves that spawn will not cause free hits this round. And they'll just be low level targets for round 2.

Nerwen watches XX prepare

Keep those special bombs of yours in your pocket. I do not want to be spending the battle patching up heroes you have hurt.

22815e23-fe26-4b81-8fe5-b829f4e24fb8_zpsf4a52351.jpg

"Sure thing," he says with a sloppy grin.

Evel McGuffin Battle Round One

>Nerwen v. Evel - Hit ([28+10]*2/2=38 Damage, Fragile)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf A - Critical Hit (KO)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf B - Special Damage (Howl, Direwolf D joins battle)

>Purpearl casts Scroll of Blindness at Evel - Failure (Roll of 6, -1 ether)

Alexis v. Evel - Special Damage (24 damage, cursed and Afraid)

>XX (Alchemist) v. Evel - Hit ([20+12]*2*2*2/2=128)

>Matthias v. Direwolf C - Damage (5/2=3 Damage)

Matthias and Alexis regains 3 health from Blessed

The round begins with the wolves swarming forward and scratching up the heroes a bit, though Nerwen and XX are able to batter Evel around, and Russel is able to down one of the wolves... only to have another take it's place!

The Enemies

IMG_2032_zpsbb289567.jpg

Evel McGuffin the Disowned Werewolf

Level 50 Beast Humanoid *Immune to Darkness and Instant Kill* *Fragile*

Health: 119/365

Special: Ecliptic Slash – Causes 24 darkness-elemental damage to the target regardless of row, along with the afraid- and cursed-effects.

Drops: 100 Gold

heroicafog-monster-direwolf.jpg

Direwolf B

Level 5 Beast

Health: 25/25

Special I: Howl – Summons another Direwolf to join the battle. If there are three Direwolves in battle, Blood Fang is used instead.

Special II: Blood Fang – Transfers 6 health from the target to self. Used instead of Howl if there are three Direwolves in battle.

Passive Special I: Pride of the Pack - If the dire wolf is killed by an AoE attack, a new dire wolf takes its place.

Drops: Fang Dagger (WP: 4)

Direwolf C

Level 5 Beast

Special I: Howl – Summons another Direwolf to join the battle. If there are three Direwolves in battle, Blood Fang is used instead.

Special II: Blood Fang – Transfers 6 health from the target to self. Used instead of Howl if there are three Direwolves in battle.

Passive Special I: Pride of the Pack - If the dire wolf is killed by an AoE attack, a new dire wolf takes its place.

Drops: Fang Dagger (WP: 4)

Direwolf D

Level 10 Beast

Drops: Venom

The Heroes

9526423509_a47eccbb56_o.png

Purpearl Berthadhiell, the Carnival Crusader (Purpearljellyblob)
*Party Leader*

180 Years Old Female Elven Mage *
Evasive
* *Blessed*

Level 10.5

Power:
(Level 10 + WP 3)

Health:
18/18
(Base 5 + 9 Levels + 4 Bonus)

Ether:
15/16
(Base 5 + 9 Levels + 2 Bonus)

Gold:
(Owes Karie 25 gold)

Equipment:
Crimson Arcanon (Wand WP:3), Tunic of Elven Acrobat (+4 HP, Provides Evasion Effect with 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER, DAMAGE and Free Hits, torso wear), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Thorny Rose (WP: 17,
wood
-elemental, deals the poisoned by 3 effect, mace), Heavy Armour (SP: 5, immune to fragile, suitable for suitable for barbarians, knights, dragoons, skirmishers and regulators), Bedroll, Potion (x3), Grand Tonic (x2), Raw Sushi (Consumable, Restores 5 Health and 5 Ether), Tasty Pretzel (x2) (1/3 chance each of granting lucky, hastened and encouraged-effects upon consumption), Mead, Ambrosia, Bone, Tinyshroom, Level Up Mushroom, Venom (x2), Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2; accessory)

Gemstones:
Ruby (
Fire
), Topaz (
Lightning
)
, Amethyst (
Darkness
),
Opal
Diamond
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald
Aquamarine

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion, Magical Staff (WP: 15;
Water
Darkness
-elemental; staff)

summernew_zpse90b9539.png

Alexis Fenral
, Orc-kin
(Masked Builder)
*Immune to
Blinded
*Counterstriking*
*Blessed*
*Afraid*
*Cursed (3 Rounds)*

22 year old female elven Harlot

Level 44.4

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
1/72

Gold:

GP:

Equipment:
Cat-o'-Nine-Tails (WP: 20, damage divided between all enemies, Suitable For Rouges), Ring of Sight (protects from
blinded
), Counterstrike Gloves, Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Steel fan (WP:20,
ice
lightning
-, and
darkness
-elemental), Death's Whip (WP:11, on successful hits there is a 1/6 chance to cause double damage), Healing Staff (WP: 5; healing effect), Staff of Ennon (WP: 5,
light
-elemental, Restores 2 ether on a roll of 2, 3, or 4; staff), Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory), Smelly Hide
(Suitable for barbarians and beast warriors, half damage from beasts and humanoids on Damage, bodywear),
Aquamarine (
Water
), Diamond (
Light
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Topaz (
lightning
), Fifty Shades of Bley, Bedroll, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Remedy, 2 Somas, 8 Water Bombs, 2x Lightning Bomb, 2x Fire Bomb, 3 Dirt Bombs, Smoke Bomb, 4x Venom, 2x Deadly Venom, Health Core, 4x Potion, Grand Potion, 9 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 9 Remedies, 7 Grand Potions, Skeleton Decoy, 8x Bone, Deadly Venom, 2 Kraken Fangs (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed), Silver Ore (worth 60 gold), Demon Repellant (Makes the user impervious to direct attacks from demons during one battle. Consumable), Winged Sandals (artifact; footwear; protects from bound and slowed effects), 2xTitan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Mulled Wine, 2 Grating Stones, Lieutenant's Helmet (SP:3, protects from
fragile
),
Crimson Venom (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects for the duration of one battle), Medal of Glory (Artefact/Accessory - Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles)

XX

Level 32 Cannoneer/Alchemist *Blessed* *Encouraged* *Inspired*

Health:
96/96

Defense:

Gold:

Equipment:
XX Hand Cannon (WP: 12, Ignores SP), XX Ammo Belts (As an
Alchemist
, XX can only receive rolls ending in "Bomb", excluding Bravado Brew and Explosion, as a Cannonner Bomb XX and Bomb XXX are added to possible creations), Cannoneer's Sashes (The damage output of bombs consumed are added to the WP of the Cannoneer's weapon before damage calculation)

Inventory:
Dangerous Dagger (WP: 20, Fire-Elemental), Phoenix Essence, Mead x2, Ruby, Military Grade Fire Bomb x6, Bomb XX (Deals 30 Damage to all foes and 10 to all allies, ignoring row/SP) x2, Bomb XXX (Causes 250 damage to all enemies and 50 to all allies), Smoke Bomb

11848567465_ee55225c16_o.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

263 year old female Elven Paladin *Immune to
Fragile* *Blessed*

Level 28

Power bonus:

Defense:

Health:
47/47

Ether:
29/33

Gold:

Equipment:
Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14,
Light
Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Orc Barbed Shield (SP: 11), Heavy Armor (SP:5, Immune to
Fragile
, bodywear), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and
Immune to Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to
Blind
), Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to
Light
and
Jinxed
, Suitable for Knights), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins),

Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles, accessory), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3; Max Ether +5; Immune to
Sealed
; bodywear), White Cloak (Max HP +3; backwear)

Topaz

No Scrolls

Phoenix Essence, Grand Tonics (3), Potions (4), Elixirs (3), Remedies (6), Tiger Balm, Neutralizer, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (2), Fire Bombs (2), Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bombs (2), Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bombs (2), Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Carrot (restores 5 HP, 10 to rabbits), Ether Core, Grand potion, Ambrosia (3)

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass

14010504049_0b44b3bbfd_o.png

Matthias
the Carnival Crusader (nstickney)

Level 10 Ranger *Immune to
Bound
Slowed
* *Blessed* *Encouraged*

Power Bonus
: 1

Defense
: 0

Health
: 15/15

Gold
: 43

Equipment
: Fireball Extraordinaire (Hand Cannon, WP:5, also hits enemies listed above and below target, user is
Slowed
), Winged Sandals (Footwear, protects from
Bound
and
Slowed
effects), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory
: Steel Cutlass (Sword, WP:5, suitable for Knights or Rogues), Sword of the Red Lizard (Longsword, WP:10, fire-elemental), Grimmau's Clothespin (Headwear, prevents the first negative effect inflicted on the wearer during a battle), Grand Potion, Grating Stone, 2x Mead, Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Dapper Hat (wearer has a 1/6 chance of being
Encouraged
at the start of any battle), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect, suitable to Rangers),

IMG_1994_zpsf80902ce.jpgIMG_1992_zps7f01817a.jpg

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley

Level 16.5 Rogue *Hastened* *Blessed* *Encouraged*

Power: 42

Health: 30/30

Defense: 4

Gold: 266

Equipment: Crabspirator (WP: 16, deals the Blinded effect, darkness elemental, longsword), Crab Shell Armor (Body Wear, +4 Max Health, 4 SP), Pigley (+4 Power, +4 Max Health, Hastened, Not an Artifact), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory: Rebel's Sword (Longsword, WP: 11)
Edited by Zepher

Matthias receives a deep scratch but shakes off the pain as Bart's medallion knits the skin closed. The gnome laughs grimly as Russel downs a wolf and grits his teeth as another wolf comes out of nowhere. "Nice work with that one, Master Crab!" he calls out, as he fires his cannon at Direwolf D.

Might Alexis do more damage to Evel with the Death's Whip than her Cat-O'-Nine-Tails? While the CONT is higher WP, damage gets divided between all enemies. In the end it probably doesn't matter too much, but it's a thought.

Evel McGuffin Battle Round One

>XX (Alchemist) v. Evel - Hit ([20+12]*2*2*2/2=128)

OOC: Zepher, XX's damage to Evel should be ([WP20+LV32]*2(Encouraged)*2(Fire)*2(Evel Fragile)/2(Back Row) = 208), leaving Evel with 119/365. :classic:

... fires his cannon at Direwolf D.[/i]

OOC: nstickney, is Matthias attacking Direwolf D (Lv10) from the front or back? :classic:

Purpearl fails to blind Evel, but wastes little time as she swings a fire spell at one of the wolves.

"Keep up the good work everyone!" as she directs Russel, Sir Pigley and XX to their various targets.

Battle Order

>Nerwen - Sword vs. Evel

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley - Crabspirator vs. Direwolf B

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley - Crabspirator vs. Direwolf B. If Direwolf B is dead, they do nothing.

>Matthias - Extraordinaire vs. Direwolf D

>Purpearl - Magical Staff (Fire) vs. Direwolf C. If Direwolf C is dead, she does nothing. There's a chance that I might roll a Magic Burst if Purpearl's to act before Matthias, potentially clearing all the Direwolves, leaving Matthias to target the next enemy in line (Evel).

Alexis - Cat-o-Nine-Tails vs. Evel

>XX (Alchemist) - Dangerous Dagger vs. Evel. If Evel is dead, Dangerous Dagger vs. any opponent that remains.

Edited by Purpearljellyblob

OOC: nstickney, is Matthias attacking Direwolf D (Lv10) from the front or back? :classic:

You can assume Matthias will always fight from the back row unless there's something preventing him. As a ranger there just isn't any reason. I'll try to be sure and say it for the future :classic:.

Matthias - Extraordinaire vs. Direwolf D (back row)

There's a chance that I might roll a Magic Burst if Purpearl's to act before Matthias, potentially clearing all the Direwolves, leaving Matthias to target the next enemy in line (Evel).

Thanks for lookin' out!

Alexis recoils as she feels very afraid of the werewolf, but she knows she must continue. She repeats.

Nerwen draws her sword and targets the werewolf.

> Nerwen - sword vs. Evel

Edited by Chromeknight

OoC: Again, will be busy tomorrow - I've been trying my best to keep on top of this with the extended family in town, but I know updates have not been as fast as they might otherwise be! Thank you for the patience! I am fitting the rounds in very late at night after long days, so please do watch the stats! Purpearl, I have fixed Evel's health from the last round, nice job! Please also note that, as previously stated, the NPCs will only take suggestions from the heroes. This is not to trip you up, but to remain with their characters. You should, if you pay attention, be able to predict how a character will behave - and, if you talk to them in a sensible way, they may act against their impulses. Finally, I ran Shield as I think it is supposed to now be run, correct me if I'm wrong. Finally finally - since I treated Direwolves summons as if they joined the battle at the end of the round last time (no free hits) I was forced to treat them the same way this time.

EDIT: I also totally forgot to add Crowley and the Morrison last round, and no one corrected me on it... so, here, as a favor, let's wrap this thing up!

Evel McGuffin Battle Round Two

>Nerwen v. Evel - Special Damage (24-16=8 Damage, Afraid and Cursed)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf B - Hit (KO)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf C - Shield (Mug, 25 Gold Stolen, KO)

>Matthias - Extraordinaire vs. Direwolf D - Shield (Triple Shot, 15 damage Direwolf D, 30 Damage Evel, 15 Damage Direwolf D, KO'd, Direwolf E to join battle at end of round)

>Purpearl does nothing

Alexis v. Evel - Special Damage (24 Damage)

>XX v. Evel - Critical Hit ((20+[32*2])*2*2*2/2=336, KO)

Nerwen and Alexis regain 3 health from Blessed

Russel and Matthias work hard to clear a path to Evel, which XX then takes full advantage of, killing the beast. He smiles cockily at the heroes, but for the time being keeps any commentary to himself.

A final dire wolf plunges through the tattered door, but Crowley and Morrison, who never quite made it to the fight, are expecting it. Crowley tosses a net over it swiftly, and Morrison skewers it. The dire wolf dies with a whimper.

The battle is victorious!

The Heroes

9526423509_a47eccbb56_o.png

Purpearl Berthadhiell, the Carnival Crusader (Purpearljellyblob)
*Party Leader*

180 Years Old Female Elven Mage *
Evasive
* *Blessed*

Level 11

Power:
(Level 10 + WP 3)

Health:
19/19
(Base 5 + 9 Levels + 4 Bonus)

Ether:
16/17
(Base 5 + 9 Levels + 2 Bonus)

Gold:
(Owes Karie 25 gold)

Equipment:
Crimson Arcanon (Wand WP:3), Tunic of Elven Acrobat (+4 HP, Provides Evasion Effect with 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER, DAMAGE and Free Hits, torso wear), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Thorny Rose (WP: 17,
wood
-elemental, deals the poisoned by 3 effect, mace), Heavy Armour (SP: 5, immune to fragile, suitable for suitable for barbarians, knights, dragoons, skirmishers and regulators), Bedroll, Potion (x3), Grand Tonic (x2), Raw Sushi (Consumable, Restores 5 Health and 5 Ether), Tasty Pretzel (x2) (1/3 chance each of granting lucky, hastened and encouraged-effects upon consumption), Mead, Ambrosia, Bone, Tinyshroom, Level Up Mushroom, Venom (x2), Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2; accessory)

Gemstones:
Ruby (
Fire
), Topaz (
Lightning
)
, Amethyst (
Darkness
),
Opal
Diamond
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald
Aquamarine

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion, Magical Staff (WP: 15;
Water
Darkness
-elemental; staff)

summernew_zpse90b9539.png

Alexis Fenral
, Orc-kin
(Masked Builder)
*Immune to
Blinded
*Counterstriking*
*Blessed*

22 year old female elven Harlot

Level 44.6

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
/72

Gold:

GP:

Equipment:
Cat-o'-Nine-Tails (WP: 20, damage divided between all enemies, Suitable For Rouges), Ring of Sight (protects from
blinded
), Counterstrike Gloves, Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Steel fan (WP:20,
ice
lightning
-, and
darkness
-elemental), Death's Whip (WP:11, on successful hits there is a 1/6 chance to cause double damage), Healing Staff (WP: 5; healing effect), Staff of Ennon (WP: 5,
light
-elemental, Restores 2 ether on a roll of 2, 3, or 4; staff), Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory), Smelly Hide
(Suitable for barbarians and beast warriors, half damage from beasts and humanoids on Damage, bodywear),
Aquamarine (
Water
), Diamond (
Light
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Topaz (
lightning
), Fifty Shades of Bley, Bedroll, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Remedy, 2 Somas, 8 Water Bombs, 2x Lightning Bomb, 2x Fire Bomb, 3 Dirt Bombs, Smoke Bomb, 4x Venom, 2x Deadly Venom, Health Core, 4x Potion, Grand Potion, 9 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 9 Remedies, 7 Grand Potions, Skeleton Decoy, 8x Bone, Deadly Venom, 2 Kraken Fangs (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed), Silver Ore (worth 60 gold), Demon Repellant (Makes the user impervious to direct attacks from demons during one battle. Consumable), Winged Sandals (artifact; footwear; protects from bound and slowed effects), 2xTitan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Mulled Wine, 2 Grating Stones, Lieutenant's Helmet (SP:3, protects from
fragile
),
Crimson Venom (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects for the duration of one battle), Medal of Glory (Artefact/Accessory - Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles)

XX

Level 32.25 Cannoneer/Alchemist *Blessed*

Health:
48/48

Defense:

Gold:

Equipment:
XX Hand Cannon (WP: 12, Ignores SP), XX Ammo Belts (As an
Alchemist
, XX can only receive rolls ending in "Bomb", excluding Bravado Brew and Explosion, as a Cannonner Bomb XX and Bomb XXX are added to possible creations), Cannoneer's Sashes (The damage output of bombs consumed are added to the WP of the Cannoneer's weapon before damage calculation)

Inventory:
Dangerous Dagger (WP: 20, Fire-Elemental), Phoenix Essence, Mead x2, Ruby, Military Grade Fire Bomb x6, Bomb XX (Deals 30 Damage to all foes and 10 to all allies, ignoring row/SP) x2, Bomb XXX (Causes 250 damage to all enemies and 50 to all allies), Smoke Bomb

11848567465_ee55225c16_o.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

263 year old female Elven Paladin *Immune to
Fragile* *Blessed*

Level 28.33

Power bonus:

Defense:

Health:
42/47

Ether:
29/33

Gold:

Equipment:
Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14,
Light
Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Orc Barbed Shield (SP: 11), Heavy Armor (SP:5, Immune to
Fragile
, bodywear), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory:
Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and
Immune to Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to
Blind
), Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to
Light
and
Jinxed
, Suitable for Knights), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins),

Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles, accessory), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3; Max Ether +5; Immune to
Sealed
; bodywear), White Cloak (Max HP +3; backwear)

Topaz

No Scrolls

Phoenix Essence, Grand Tonics (3), Potions (4), Elixirs (3), Remedies (6), Tiger Balm, Neutralizer, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (2), Fire Bombs (2), Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bombs (2), Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bombs (2), Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Carrot (restores 5 HP, 10 to rabbits), Ether Core, Grand potion, Ambrosia (3)

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass

14010504049_0b44b3bbfd_o.png

Matthias
the Carnival Crusader (nstickney)

Level 10.5 Ranger *Immune to
Bound
Slowed
* *Blessed*

Power Bonus
: 1

Defense
: 0

Health
: 15/15

Gold
: 43

Equipment
: Fireball Extraordinaire (Hand Cannon, WP:5, also hits enemies listed above and below target, user is
Slowed
), Winged Sandals (Footwear, protects from
Bound
and
Slowed
effects), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory
: Steel Cutlass (Sword, WP:5, suitable for Knights or Rogues), Sword of the Red Lizard (Longsword, WP:10, fire-elemental), Grimmau's Clothespin (Headwear, prevents the first negative effect inflicted on the wearer during a battle), Grand Potion, Grating Stone, 2x Mead, Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Dapper Hat (wearer has a 1/6 chance of being
Encouraged
at the start of any battle), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect, suitable to Rangers),

IMG_1994_zpsf80902ce.jpgIMG_1992_zps7f01817a.jpg

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley

Level 17 Rogue *Hastened* *Blessed*

Power: 43

Health: 31/31

Defense: 4

Gold: 291

Equipment: Crabspirator (WP: 16, deals the Blinded effect, darkness elemental, longsword), Crab Shell Armor (Body Wear, +4 Max Health, 4 SP), Pigley (+4 Power, +4 Max Health, Hastened, Not an Artifact), Blood Oath Medallion (Accessory, Blessed)

Inventory: Rebel's Sword (Longsword, WP: 11)

The Loot

x2 Venom

x3 Fang Dagger (WP: 4)

100 Gold

b0bbedf8-3f63-44bd-bacc-39dc28b8537b_zps4096f745.jpg

"Nice aim."

IMG_2030_zps6b099c4c.jpg

"Thanks Crowley. Now, heroes, what the Hel was that all about?!"

But the heroes can hardly concentrate! They've lost their charge. Pigley trots out into the street and XX pokes his head out after him. The assailants, whoever they were, are gone from sight.

IMG_1992_zps7f01817a.jpg

"This will be a black mark on our career," intones Pigley sadly to Nerwen and Matthias and Ruffers. XX, of course, can't understand the oinking, but his opinion of the situation is apparently more optimistic.

"Man can't be dead," he remarks to the heroes. He holds up the Blood Oath Medallion. "Said these would zap us if he was, right? Besides, didn't Everyman or someone say that the duel was on the Seventh of the week? This is only the First! Seems to me like we've got more than enough time to catch up with those jokers, especially if they prove as evil as this little doggie over here."

Everstien climbs out from under his table and clicks his tongue. The bar tender polishes the counter, apparently un bothered by the blood shed.

Edited by Zepher

Matthias is encouraged, plus he has power=16, not 15, so...

Evel McGuffin Battle Round Two

>Nerwen v. Evel - Special Damage (24-16=8 Damage, Afraid and Cursed)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf B - Hit (KO)

Russel Ruffers & Sir Pigley v. Direwolf C - Shield (Mug, 25 Gold Stolen, KO)

>Matthias - Extraordinaire vs. Direwolf D - Shield (Triple Shot, 15 32 damage Direwolf D KO'd, 30 64 Damage Evel, not even applying any extra (cannon) (AoE) damage... 15 Damage Direwolf D, KO'd, Direwolf E to join battle at end of round)

>Purpearl does nothing

Alexis v. Evel - Special Damage (24 Damage)

>XX v. Evel - Critical Hit ((20+[32*2])*2*2*2/2=336, KO)

Alexis regains 3 health from Blessed

The Battle Is Victorious?

With the cannon's damage, it looks like this:

>Matthias - Extraordinaire vs. Direwolf D - Shield (Triple Shot, 15 32 damage Direwolf D KO'd, 30 96 Damage Evel)

Either way, the Direwolf D never gets hit with AoE damage because the first shot kills him, meaning no Direwolf E, meaning end of battle. :sweet:

Edited by nstickney

Ah, well, I actually ended the battle either way (in an edit), but my incorrect way netted you an extra venom, so I'll keep it! :laugh::thumbup:

Ah, well, I actually ended the battle either way (in an edit), but my incorrect way netted you an extra venom, so I'll keep it! :laugh::thumbup:

Hahahaha thanks! :sweet::thumbup:

Russel and Matthias work hard to clear a path to Evel...

Matthias watches approvingly as Ruffers dispatches two wolves with clean thrusts. "Excellent work, Master Russel," he calls out as he blows away the last wolf and puts a pair of shots into Evel.

I don't think the wolves carry gold, though, so Russel might not have stolen 25....

A final dire wolf plunges through the tattered door, but Crowley and Morrison, who never quite made it to the fight, are expecting it. Crowley tosses a net over it swiftly, and Morrison skewers it. The dire wolf dies with a whimper.

"Now, heroes, what the Hel was that all about?!"

"Man can't be dead," [XX] remarks to the heroes. He holds up the Blood Oath Medallion.

"So maybe these medals are good for something," Matthias mutters. Turning to the Watchman, he explains, "Long story short, the man who was just kidnapped hired us to protect him for the next seven days. Did either of you get a good look at the ruffians who grabbed him? We could probably use all the help we can get finding them - especially friends who know the area. It might be the mead talking, but I'm pretty sure I saw one fly out the window."

Edited by nstickney

OoC: Again, will be busy tomorrow - I've been trying my best to keep on top of this with the extended family in town, but I know updates have not been as fast as they might otherwise be! Thank you for the patience! I am fitting the rounds in very late at night after long days, so please do watch the stats!

OOC: No worries, RL comes first! :classic:

Loot Distribution

Alexis - 25 Gold, Fang Dagger

Matthias - 25 Gold, Fang Dagger

Nerwen - 25 Gold, Venom

Purpearl - 25 Gold, Fang Dagger

Russel & Sir Pigley - Venom

Turning to Russel and Sir Pigley, she praises, "Great work, I'm impressed by your valiant efforts. Here's something to make you extra lethal next time."

Purpearl downs the mulled wine as she turns to XX, tossing him a venom from her own pouch, "Saw how you finished off that werewolf."

"Man can't be dead," he remarks to the heroes. He holds up the Blood Oath Medallion. "Said these would zap us if he was, right? Besides, didn't Everyman or someone say that the duel was on the Seventh of the week? This is only the First! Seems to me like we've got more than enough time to catch up with those jokers, especially if they prove as evil as this little doggie over here."

"You're right, our man is still alive, so there's still hope. Maybe you can track them down for us?" Purpearl asks politely.

Turning to Crowley and Morrison, Purpearl smiles, "Appreciate your help, you're free to come along with us if you wish."

OOC: No worries, RL comes first! :classic:

Agreed. This quest is still moving along quickly! :sweet:

Loot Distribution

Matthias - 25 Gold, Fang Dagger

Matthias picks up a large canine tooth blown out of its owner's face by his cannon. In his gnomish hands the fang looks like a long dagger. He tucks it into his belt and turns to Purpearl, accepting his share of the coins from Evel's purse.

Turning to Russel and Sir Pigley, she praises, "Great work, I'm impressed by your valiant efforts. Here's something to make you extra lethal next time."

"She says she's impressed, and you're a valiant pair, so she wants you to have the venom," the ranger translates.

Turning to Crowley and Morrison, Purpearl smiles, "Appreciate your help, you're free to come along with us if you wish."

Translating again, Matthias winks and whispers to Morrison (loud enough that Purpearl can just hear), "Lady Purpearl means we'd really like if if you two came along and helped us!"

"Good work everyone, seems like I'm not helping much today." She turns to Nerwen. "Would you mind healing me up?"

Zepher, can we get a ruling on whether XX's bombs will hurt the party if he attacks as Cannoneer and rolls Shield (Barrage) or Bombards and rolls Critical Hit or Hit? According to the Cannoneer rules, only the elements associated with the bombs affect the outcome of a Barrage/Bombard roll - no other effects of the bombs are mentioned - but we don't want to all die :classic:.

See XX's items.

Cannoneer's Sashes (The damage output of bombs consumed are added to the WP of the Cannoneer's weapon before damage calculation)

Right, but that only says it increases the WP, not that it also adds effects or damages extra targets.

Still wondering about this - Zepher, will we get damaged if XX uses Barrage/Bombard with Bomb XX or Bomb XXX?

"Good work everyone, seems like I'm not helping much today." She turns to Nerwen. "Would you mind healing me up?"

There it is again, Matthias thinks to himself. Healing. How much more could I bring Heroicans together by simply restoring their phyiscal bodies! At least Lady Nerwen is here this time.

As Alexis draws his attention, his eyes remind him of the Were-Raven she'd been talking to before the attack. "'ello, did I hear you say you were a professional problem-solver?" he calls out to the birdlike being. "What would it cost us to have your help in solving our little problem here?"

Edited by nstickney

Nerwen heals Alexis

She then hands XX all her bombs.

This should reduce your chances of accidentally blowing us all up. Plus if you perform some alchemy, you get more gold, which you can keep.

Alexis. You should hand him your bombs too.

Accepting the loot from Purpearl she says

Thank you. Do not fear. I think opponent was merely a evil tool. A bump in the greater story that is the conflict between Chauncy and our employer.

Dont forget Alexis shaking her money maker (+ gold = # enemies). Sure, it's only 4g this time, but it all adds up.

And masked, I was writing my post while you posted yours :tongue:

Edited by Chromeknight

Matthias watches approvingly as Ruffers dispatches two wolves with clean thrusts. "Excellent work, Master Russel," he calls out as he blows away the last wolf and puts a pair of shots into Evel.

"So maybe these medals are good for something," Matthias mutters. Turning to the Watchman, he explains, "Long story short, the man who was just kidnapped hired us to protect him for the next seven days. Did either of you get a good look at the ruffians who grabbed him? We could probably use all the help we can get finding them - especially friends who know the area. It might be the mead talking, but I'm pretty sure I saw one fly out the window."

OoC: You're right about the gold, I don't know if I've hosted a rogue since the nerd (only their advanced classes) so I think I forgot about it. :blush: He'll keep the gold this time, but I'll fix it in the future!

IMG_1994_zpsf80902ce.jpg

"Thank you! If you ever want help mastering the sword, don't be afraid to ask! I've trained heroes before!"

IMG_2030_zps6b099c4c.jpg

"Me to!" exclaims Morrison, apparently glad he's not the only one seeing things. "I actually did recognize one of the ruffians too. They call him Strong-Chested Bors. I've only ever seen him on wanted posters before."

"One of those women was the Armored Reaper as well, a mercenary. I didn't recognize any of the others. Neither of them work out of Eubric, I can tell you that much."

Purpearl downs the mulled wine as she turns to XX, tossing him a venom from her own pouch, "Saw how you finished off that werewolf."

"You're right, our man is still alive, so there's still hope. Maybe you can track them down for us?" Purpearl asks politely.

"Glad someone noticed," he says with a grin as he catches the venom and pockets it. "Thanks. And sure, I'll track him down. That flying woman may not leave many footsteps, but the rest of them will have to."

"She says she's impressed, and you're a valiant pair, so she wants you to have the venom," the ranger translates.

Translating again, Matthias winks and whispers to Morrison (loud enough that Purpearl can just hear), "Lady Purpearl means we'd really like if if you two came along and helped us!"

IMG_1994_zpsf80902ce.jpg

"Tell her thank you, and that if I hadn't already bought her that wine, I'd offer to buy her one!"

IMG_2030_zps6b099c4c.jpg

"We wouldn't be particularly good members of the Watch if we went off with you heroes. That's exactly why we exist in addition to you. We have to watch Eubric," he says with a chuckle.

"I'm afraid my answer is the same. Masson would flay me alive if he heard I abandoned my post, and I'm sure he'd hear about it." Crowley looks covertly at the bar tender.

Nerwen heals Alexis

She then hands XX all her bombs.

This should reduce your chances of accidentally blowing us all up. Plus if you perform some alchemy, you get more gold, which you can keep.

Alexis. You should hand him your bombs too.

Accepting the loot from Purpearl she says

Thank you. Do not fear. I think opponent was merely a evil tool. A bump in the greater story that is the conflict between Chauncy and our employer.

Dont forget Alexis shaking her money maker (+ gold = # enemies). Sure, it's only 4g this time, but it all adds up.

And masked, I was writing my post while you posted yours :tongue:

OoC: I'll fix it in the updated stats. ALSO, in concerns to XX and his barrage/other skills - I've read up on Cannonner, and I can see the complications. I, however, don't want to make him TOO powerful, and using the XXX or even XX with no penalty doesn't seem right either. SO, this is my ruling - the bombs will still blow back with their force, but it will not take into account the rest of the calculations. In theory, for example, if XX and fire bomb and fire bomb were selected for barrage, the party would take 10 damage only, without considering his WP. I hope that clears things up, still puts you in danger, but doesn't make you terrified! :thumbup:

"Thanks, Nerwen. I swear on all your Gods I will try my very hardest to not make you a pile of ashes. Now, if we're done here."

The heroes bid adieu to the assorted patrons of the Albatross and follow XX as he winds his way through the Hovels, out of the Hovels, and to the edge of town. There he stops.

"Too much traffic," he proclaims. "I can't tell which trail belong to them."

IMG_1994_zpsf80902ce.jpg

"Oh! Wait!" the crab hops up and down triumphantly. "I remember something! Lord Chauncey lives in Bric'Lin. It may not be where the duel is, but we may be able to at least find clues at him manor."

IMG_1992_zps7f01817a.jpg

"But of course leaving at noon we'd be stopping for the night time."

Nerwen or Matthias translates to message to the group, including Pigley's sadness.

"You've just been riding slow horses. Give me a few minutes. One of Everyman's friends owes me a favor. We'll get there by nightfall."

XX disappears back into the city, leaving the heroes to talk among themselves for a few minutes.

"I hate it when a job starts this badly."

I am sure you have seen worse. At least we have leads and some clue as to what we must do. That is more than we often have.

Also, Alexis, perhaps you might give EcksEcks your bombs too? More ammunition choice for him leaves leas risk for us.

"Thank you Nerwen." Alexis hands XX her bombs.

Also, Alexis, perhaps you might give EcksEcks your bombs too? More ammunition choice for him leaves leas risk for us.

Done.

Matthias wonders what Bric'Lin is like. "I wondered why those watchmen wouldn't come with us, but if we're going a day's journey out to another city, it makes more sense," he remarks to no one in particular.

"Don't worry, Sir Pigley, we have six days to find Master Aventine before this is over," he adds.

Edited by nstickney