• Below Average
    • Poor

14083705708_ef52cce187_b.jpg

Set name: CHI Vardy

Set number: 70210

Piece Count: 68

Year Released: 2014

Price: $14.99 USD, 12,99 EUR

Hello everyone and welcome to a review of CHI Vardy. Before I begin, as always I want to thank the people at Lego and Eurobricks staff who made it possible for me to bring you guys these reviews.

My gratitude for this opportunity is furthered due to an unfortunate bit of news that we have all heard by this point: The 2014 Chima Constraction sets will not be released in North America. I have the prices listed above in both EUR and USD, however this is for completion sake and does not mean anything.

Bag Front

14230143351_b6b2c5ba2e_b.jpg

The front of the bag shows vardy in an action pose, with a very ice-themed background. There is also some lite set information, and Legends of Chima printed in a very cool text.

Bag Back

14253618163_455a4d1aea_b.jpg

The back shows a head size comparison, the dropping orb, and Vardy with Laval in the background. Interestingly enough, lego missed the opportunity to show the spinning buzzsaw as a set feature, as you would expect.

Instructions

14229649401_33c16ec03d_b.jpg

The instructions have the same photo as we just saw, and a callout for Lego.com.

Contents

14232942555_2f0f2e1767_b.jpg

Two bags of parts, a bagged head, a loose torso, and that fantastic trans-light blue buzzsaw.

Buzzsaw

14046367557_53c0db50d9_b.jpg

A piece that many are excited for. While a lot of people dislike the silver weapons the fire sets come with, the ice sets all have more unique weapons, and this bright colored saw is similar to the bright colored weapons we saw in 2013.

CHI Orb

14083696468_fb370fe8ab_b.jpg

The Chi Orb is a trans light blue mixed with white. It looks quite awesome, almost like a small water and ice planet.

Head

14046341370_fec8a3843e_b.jpg

Vardy's head is based on a vulture, and looks really cool from a profile shot. It does look...rather odd from the front, all you can see is the armor and beak. I think a moving jaw might have done a lot of good here, but none of the other flying-tribe sets have had a moving jaw thus far either.

Shells

14046295319_0f4a97fb76_b.jpg

The printed shell that all of the ice sets come with, and the lovely new dark tan 5-L shell, which Vardy has two of.

Torso Armor

14229647671_06d5d3e3fc_b.jpg

The new torso armor, which has a place for the chi orb to sit. You can push the section beneath the hole to make the orb drop out.

Bones

14046366317_72e0e5e892_b.jpg

Vardy has the hand piece in trans light blue, as well as the second shortest length of bone (only one of those) and the third shortest length.

Wings

14230653202_1352fa6ae4_b.jpg

Here we have the new wing piece in a white mixed with trans light blue. I love the look of these new pieces, and given their axle connection point I can see these being used in a lot of unique ways.

The Build

Torso

14046339700_1e44df937b_b.jpg

The torso begins, with it's main difference being a second for the wings to be built onto.

Legs added on

14232940085_56d1b050d0_b.jpg

His legs are simple and use the black piraka feet, but it is worth noting that all of his limbs will use those trans blue limbs.

Wing Construction

14046287628_94f4a44874_b.jpg

The start of the wings. The shape is very jagged and bony to represent a vultures wings, but I know some people are not a fan of how this turned out.

Wings and Arms

14232939625_e1fed239d6_b.jpg

The wings are topped off with one of the older wing pieces, and the ice arms are added on.

Bulking up

14232696734_68a2d8f370_b.jpg

More armor is added on, mostly using the white fur pieces and adding those glorious dark tan shells.

Weapon Construction

14046286878_3e83949731_b.jpg

The start of his weapon, which ends up looking pretty cool overall. The trans light blue buzzsaw paired with the previously seen elemental piece creates a nice effect- Though one interesting thing to notice is that the construction of the weapon behind the buzzsaw is in fact visible due to this.

Finished Set

Front

14046292459_7c6cb535e5_b.jpg

From a front view, you can see Vardy does lack quite a bit of armor on his limbs. While vultures have smaller limbs, it looks quite strange here given how much trans light blue he has.

Side

14209799366_13bcf6aaf1_b.jpg

Vultures have very arched necks, and some pieces were used to attempt to imitate this, however the end result is difficult to pose due to the arch of the socket on his actual head piece.

Back

14046363697_f93a4bd13b_b.jpg

I have to admit, I do like his wings. They have that very bony and crooked look to them, and while it doesn't look like he's going to be taking flight anytime soon, they don't look as bad as I first thought they were going to.

Pose 1

14230651062_3285bff04e_b.jpg

Posing the set is another challenge within itself. While his limbs have everything you could want, his head looks very odd from a front view and I found myself wanting to make sure every pose showed off at least a portion of the side of his face. Also, I didn't realize the weapon was supposed to go in both hands- THe black spiked piece is actually supposed to be the end of the weapon, but it falls out constantly.

Pose 2

14046291559_2cbb1f4e0e_b.jpg

Pose 3

14232695514_012388046a_b.jpg

He does have a nice fur structure around his shoulders and neck, which is also very similar to real-life vultures.

Overall, Vardy is one of those figures who is a great and creative take on a real life animal, but the final set may suffer. In my opinion, they really did a good job of capturing the bony look of the Vulture- And not just because of the fact that constraction sets use bones, mind you- but rather he has the shaping that really gives off the animal's vibe in the end. He i also a decent set for parts, with a lot of trans light blue including that buzzsaw, and the first signs of some dark tan. However, as a completed set I feel this accuracy can leave a lot to be desired, especially in posing and his overall finished look compared to other figures of the wave can feel a bit incomplete.

What are your thoughts on this set?

VBBN

CHI Vardy has a nice face, a unique color scheme, and wings that look better than expected. I think the weapon looks better as a two-handed weapon like you see on the box than as two separate weapons like in most of your photos.

I actually really like the look of Vardy's bony limbs, as they give him that skeletal, zombie-like look that characterizes many of this year's sets, not to mention that they give him a really wiry physique that sets him apart from the other more muscular "bad guys". Very appropriate for a bird. I feel like the neck looks best when bent in an N-shape like on the box — first joint bent forward, second joint bent upward. Your "Pose 2" photo is the only one that presents him this way.

Overall, this fellow's not really on my wanted list, but he's still a pretty nice design in his own right.

I'm a bit torn on this guy. I think he's a pretty good figure that captures the ended look very nicely...

...but he just doesn't interest me that much from a design (or part) perspective. Pretty much the only thing that appeals to me about this dude is the saw and the tan, which I shall strive to acquire from Bricklink at some point.

That being said, I think he's pretty alright. He's just not especially interesting in my eyes.

ThanksagainVBBN.

This guy has ton of cool parts but in terrible quantities. Two wonderful wing pieces and two dark tan shells is almost plausible, but only one awesome printed shell and half of the bones lacking armor of any sort? Add to that that I don't find lot of uses to the odd transparent parts (okay, they look cool, but they are quite extraordinary...) and Vultureman stays in the shop.

Thanks for the review. This set has great potential but somehow is not using it, there are a great combination of parts with some exciting recolors and new ones. My biggest problem is the shape of the wings, it's too weak and empty, no way he can fly with that, it looks like he got into a fight and someone ripped off his wings's half. My other issue is that Vardy's head should be purple, not tan, now he looks more like Voom Voom. Apart from this he is a decent constraction fig, and he is one of my favorite characters from the Ice tribes so far, so I like this figure a lot despite it's flaws.

While I don't like vultures in general, Vardy seems to be a pretty great parts pack. The wings alone make him interesting for me.

I don't get why minifig!Vardy uses "sand purple" (sand purple was discontinued IIRC, but it does look really similar) while his CHI self uses dark tan. At least, I'm happy the dark tan shells are 5M (I thought they were 4M size for some reason). I still don't know where I could use them, but they do somehow seem more useful now.

Anyway..light tr. blue saw, 2 dark tan shells, 1 short tr. light blue bone, FOUR "average length" bones in the same colour, one oOo liftarm... I might get this one.

ThanksagainVBBN.

This guy has ton of cool parts but in terrible quantities. Two wonderful wing pieces and two dark tan shells is almost plausible, but only one awesome printed shell and half of the bones lacking armor of any sort? Add to that that I don't find lot of uses to the odd transparent parts (okay, they look cool, but they are quite extraordinary...) and Vultureman stays in the shop.

I'm not sure why the ice themed sets each got one of the unique printed piece whereas the three from the fire wave with printed parts got two of them. I agree they do look really nice and I would have preferred greater quantity of them.

I feel like the neck looks best when bent in an N-shape like on the box — first joint bent forward, second joint bent upward. Your "Pose 2" photo is the only one that presents him this way.

It doesn't look very good when his body is upright in my opinion. Only in his "hunched down" position does it really work, and I just don't like it to begin with- the trans light blue bone doesn't fit at all with the overall look, you have the very organic head and the neck with feathers, and then a random piece that gives him one too many joints.

I'm not sure why the ice themed sets each got one of the unique printed piece whereas the three from the fire wave with printed parts got two of them. I agree they do look really nice and I would have preferred greater quantity of them.

Well, part of it is probably that the fire-themed sets (excluding Panthar) are all symmetrical. The ice-themed sets, on the other hand, tend to have at least one Tr. Light Blue leg to match the asymmetrical "ice zombie" look of the minifigures. And as a result a Tr. Light Blue shell takes the place of what would have otherwise been a second printed shell.

I think it makes sense for Vardy to have a second joint. Vulture necks are weird like that, and tend to have a bit of an S-shaped curve just like on the box art. example. It's true that using ball joints for this results in a sharper angle than the organic curve of a real vulture neck, but if anything, that calls for more joints, and perhaps smaller ones — not fewer.