kdenty

[Review] 2014 AT-AT 75054

I was pretty suprised to see the little guy in my local Toymaster shop. I didn't think he was out until August. So here are my pictures:

Firstly here is the box

JJSAthj.jpg?1

Isd5iTL.jpg?1

It gives the dimensions of Mr AT-AT as 34cm height 34cm wide. The box itself is 38x48x7cm so the AT-AT is about as tall and wide as the box.

Inside the box are two instruction books and eight bags of parts plus a really cool double sided poster.

AzrG9g8.jpg?1

WE8ly5j.jpg?1

YWW78DA.jpg?1

DHQfFll.jpg?1

It is quite a complex build with lots of fiddly 'technic' type pieces to support and allow movement of its component parts. Be prepared for sore fingers! The first part built is the internal body anatomy and the neck. It really doesn't look like anything much at this stage. The legs are next to be built and I built all four at the same time simultaneously rather than building one then starting over with the instructions again. The final part is the external body 'skin' and his head.

9ajRr6l.jpg?1

O5zTBti.jpg?1

KvN6WFm.jpg?1

Lz6ZgOh.jpg?1

io8s8nH.jpg?1

L51Am3S.jpg?1

gfMQT4Y.jpg?1

The main body and top of the head opens. The minifigures sit inside. The legs can be bent simultaneously but it doesn't stand stable enough to lift one leg.

lTOtg8G.jpg?1

qhwmwNn.jpg?1

DMrcnAM.jpg?1

There are two spring loaded bricks which hold the 'shooters' under the head.

ZT9wtNA.jpg?1

There are five minifigures with this set:

8RBJIjz.jpg?1

ZRV4wVa.jpg?1

I'm not convinced about the Snow Troopers 'skirts' they look a bit funny to me, especially from behind, but I guess it's hard to replicate the uniform. Maybe if they were plastic as opposed to fabric but perhaps it's harder to bend or manufacture.

hPvYURu.jpg?1

MxexMNA.jpg?1

I didn't have the original (I got into Lego too late) so have nothing to compare him to but I've very happy with this set.

As I've run out of shelving he may have to share the cat basket with Obi Bengal!

Edited by kdenty

Hi kdenty, thanks for a comprehensive review :thumbup:

It's certainly an improvement on the previous version, but I still prefer my trusty 10178. I totally agree about the new Snowtrooper skirts, they look awful, what were TLG thinking? :sick: I'll probably end up getting one when I find it at a decent discount!

Thank you for the review!

The set looks great! But I think the improvements aren't vast enough for me to get this one.

The minifigures seem too detailed..I love the new snowtrooper helmets but not really the pack or the skirt :sceptic:

Nice review, thanks.

Now what I'm hoping to see is a comprehensive comparison between this and the previous AT-AT models. Somebody needs to get on that.

A couple minutes looking around, I think the best approach would to buy all 4, and combine them into one properly scaled walker, motorized, proportional, and actually seats three in the command module.

;)

Edited by rollermonkey

Thanks for the review!

Still quite skeptical about the new Snowtroopers, thankfully I have a good few of the old ones!

The kamas or skirts need to be pulled more around to the front so they don't stick out so much at the sides. Was the same with the airborne troopers. Thanks for the review though. I'm curious why they never have a red window looking piece on the AtAt heads like in the movies on any of the lego models they have produced?The all grey doesn't look right.

I quite like the latest iteration, might have to pick this one up. Also the skirts would look better if you put them on properly =P.

Thanks for the review, and perhaps even more importantly the confirmation that SW summer sets are appearing outside of brand stores in retail. The joints for the neck look interesting, if perhaps slightly long in my opinion. Otherwise though, it's looking like there's a decent 'hangar' space even if the cockpit is slightly squashed. I'm glad they finally made the AT AT pilot in grey/blue because I was always certain they weren't white. Snowtroopers are ok, but I don't think TLG could really improve on the original mould.

I'm still unsure which ATAT I should buy as I don't have either.

I think the motorised version is the most interesting but then again it also is the most expensive at the moment :|

Great review!

I'm still planning on getting the motorized version. Personally, I dislike the "backpacks" on the new snowtroopers, they stick out too much...

But on the plus side, the poster included is a good addition to the set.

Thanks again for the review.

New Snowtroopers.

Do Not Want!!!!!

Why mess with them TLG?

Ooohhh! But Malibu Snowtrooper's got a new hat!

I actually still have a 8129 AT-AT unopened, two built 4483 AT-AT's and a 10178 AT-AT... Call me crazy, but still I want this one as well, even if mostly for the figures :cry_sad:

It's strange..the AT AT, in my opinion, is the only model I can think of where the best version is actually the original. I don't know if others would agree with me on this, but the 4483 is just simply better. Thankfully I have that one, and deinfatenly have no interest in this one. The motorised one though is still the worst.

Back to this one, and it looks as far I can can tell, not very good, for starters the proportions are completely messed up, the ridiculous position it's standing in on the box art, probably doesn't help the matter. Ever since 4483 they've been don't like that for some reason standing awkwardly.

Don't want to sound too negative, and don't get me wrong, if you are yet to own an AT AT this is a good chance to get one, but having already got one, and in fact, it being my favourite model, unless there is an improvemed version on it I just not interested.

Edited by Ap11AP

I think this set is pretty good. Good to display anyways. In terms of looks I think it's about the same as the older versions honestly :P. I really wish they'd make a minifigure scale or at least make one closer to it though.

As for the motorized one. That is the only other one I own. The thing looks a bit odd in the legs and walks like a moron.

Anyone know when these are going for sale on the website? I went to a London Lego store for mine but don't really want to make another trip.

Edited by BrickG

Thanks for the review.

I really like who this turned out. I don't have any previous versions, so this would be a welcomed buy. With all of these other great sets this year, it may be a tough purchase. So I will definitely wait for a sale. But I do want to add this to my collection. The figures look pretty solid. I only have 1 or 2 of the old snowtroopers, so it won't be cluttering up my collection.

I have mentioned on the poster in the 3rd plan, we see the set 75014 Battle of Hoth. This is pretty strange because this set is now retired… I guess TLG planned to release the 75054 last year. One photoshop moment later, now the Snowspeeder as been replaced by the new one...

What are you thinking about that?

I got into Lego Star Wars a bit late (just a few months ago), so I didn't have an AT-AT but really wanted one. I was happy that the summer wave came out a bit early at the only Lego Store near me, so I immediately picked it up. (Was an expensive trip as I also got the ISD, Cantina, MTT, and Snowspeeder!).

I think this new one looks great! It really captures the look of the AT-AT that I remember so well from the movies, and the build was pretty fun. Having a bunch of extra "rope" things from the Death Star build and the Ewok Village build, I attached one to the underside of the AT-AT and have a Luke Skywalker hanging onto it. Looks great displayed in my Lego Room/Office. The really nice thing about this set is that if you already have it and someone buys it for you, since the AT-AT is just a type of vehicle and not a unique ship, having more than one is just fine.

Overall, I'm very pleased to see a great plethora of OT releases this year. I know that with the upcoming Rebels series and the sequel trilogy of movies coming up, the number of OT and PT sets/re-releases will dwindle.

Thanks for the great review! Strange that Lego loves to stuff sets with unuseful play features, but forgot (correct me if I'm wrong) the hatch that Luke throws the grenade into. Great set overall, looks very streamlined and complete (no gaps unlike the new MTT).

I'm not sure why in the review you said it wasn't stable enough to stand on three legs. I bought one to put in my Hoth display and it stands on three legs just fine for me!

Thanks for the great review! Strange that Lego loves to stuff sets with unuseful play features, but forgot (correct me if I'm wrong) the hatch that Luke throws the grenade into. Great set overall, looks very streamlined and complete (no gaps unlike the new MTT).

tbh, the lack of play-features is what makes me refrain from buying this set. The minifigs are great, and I want to have them all, but the AT-AT is just a posable model with two spring loaders.

All the minifigs can do is stand in front of that model. The troop compartment is non-existent, there is just some space that happens to be empty. You can open the cockpit but then what? You cannot look into it when closed, i.e. in 99% of the poses. No ramp for the troops to disembark, no other transport options (I liked the speeder bike), just nothing.

If I want a model, I'd prefer a UCS set, even though I have to admit that this AT-AT is a pretty good model.