Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

The Spider's Chamber- Collab Prelude Part II

14254486751_1d49c0b736_c.jpg

In General Zurn’s Private Chambers, Basil enters, Malicia listens from outside the chamber door.

General Zurn: The fool wishes to risk our pearl for what? That rock in the swamp? We should not stand for this treatment! Drow and Varlyrian forces account for seven of every ten warriors in Nocturnus, we could crush Raavage and the Hand.

14071152098_a23774c178_z.jpg

Basil can see his ally is seriously contemplating open war with the Hand. The Varlyrian Count realizes he must reel in his Drow ally yet again. Basil wonders why Raavage is so concerned with Abyssian, but much like Zurn he believes Raavage is acting out of fear of an assault on Avalonia. Basil knows their best option is to recruit new allies as both a sword against Avalonia and a shield against Raavage’s perceived cowardess. Basil turns grabs a chalice from the table. Perhaps some Blood wine will calm Zurn’s nerves.

14257421264_80117068ea_z.jpg

Count Basil: Open defiance of Raavage would be no better than an assault on Abyssian. We need his soldiers to take Avalonia. An internal struggle with the Hand could be just as dangerous as an attack on Abyssian. If the other guilds see our unity crumbling, they could prey on us and destroy our chances to take the West. Besides, the Hand has many spies and its ability to corrupt even the most loyal of servants could put us at risk of alienation from our own troops, or even worse, an assassination!

General Zurn realizes Basil is correct. The Hand has many spies and tentacles in every guild and corner of Historica. He briefly wonders if Basil himself could be a Hand spy. Zurn grips the handle of a dagger on his belt while Basil turns to pour his own drink. He considers killing his “ally” at that very moment, but realizes Basil would never be so careless as to let such a secret slip. General Zurn releases his grip on the dagger and decides to propose an alternative that could give the Drow and Varlyrians what they want without open war with the Hand.

14257801795_5f0489088f_z.jpg

General Zurn: Perhaps we need another way to inspire the coward Raavage to move his eye towards the West. There is a group of warriors who have abstained from the battle. If we could bring them into the fold, we could force Raavage to heed our demands and let us press our advantage against the Avalonians.

Basil sees that Zurn has arrived at their common solution.

Count Basil: You seek the Dragon Masters.

General Zurn: Yes, the Dragon Masters. They were once Avalonians until the Westerners kicked them out of their lands for the capture and torture of dragons. They are no friend to Avalonia and with the promise of a combined Drow and Varlyrian assault on Avalonia, they could easily be convinced to assault their former oppressors.

Count Basil senses General Zurn has not thought the entire plan through. Zurn would seek this alliance in open defiance of Raavage. Basil quickly steers Zurn towards hiding the plan from Lord Raavage.

Count Basil: The Dragon Masters are sworn enemies of the Hand’s allies, the Zugal tribes. If we recruit them, the Hand and the ravens could revolt. Open war with either could stall our plans for the West- it could allow the Avalonians to gather allies and strengthen their defenses.

14255640872_c78cda355a_z.jpg

General Zurn turns a wry smile. He knows Basil doesn’t think he has thought this plan through.

General Zurn: If the Zugal find out, we must make them believe their issue will be with Raavage and not us. Perhaps a dispute between the Hand and the Ravens could be advantageous. We could keep Raavage distracted while we prepare the assault on the Avalonians.

Basil knows the plan is risky, he does not fear the Zugal, but he does fear Raavage and the Hand. The Count quickly seeks to insulate Varlyrio from the Hand should Ravaage discover their plan.

Count Basil: The Zugal and Dragon Masters are but a stone’s throw from each other. We must keep our alliance hidden for as long as necessary. Send your finest, stealthiest Drow warrior to conference with the Dragon Masters. Promise the Dragon Masters a full return of their Avalonian lands once we capture the West. Tell him to carry a Hand markings should the Zugal spot him on the road.

General Zurn knows Basil likely has ulterior motive for sending the Drow to conference with the Dragon Masters. But if he sends the Drow to the Dragons, he can control the narrative, promise the Dragons part of the Varlyrian cut if they are not as easy to convince as he hopes. Zurn is briefly offended that Basil thinks he is such a fool, but he quickly realizes it is too his advantage. The General buries his contempt and gives a simple nod.

14234663116_02706528b0_z.jpg

********** Back in the Farnhorn Throne Room **********

Malicia rushes into Lord Raavage’s throne room.

14057379329_06c4da6790_z.jpg

Malicia: You were right to be suspicious M’Lord, the Drow and Varlyrians conspire against you. They seek to use the Dragon Masters to replace the Hand in an assault on Avalonia. In exchange, the Dragons would be allowed to reclaim their former lands in Avalonia.

Lord Raavage can’t stop his nose and upper lip from twitching.

Lord Raavage: Fools! I shall send my guards to end this rebellion now!

Malicia sees she is quickly losing Raavage. She needs Raavage and the Book of Souls he possess to raise an army from the dead. She considers allowing Raavage to declare war with the Drow and Varlyrians, but she believes her best chance to capture Abyssian and the sphere is a combined assault with all three Black Spire factions working together. She knows Raavage prefers those who are direct.

14264199463_b6c7bdb9c4_z.jpg

Malicia: Do not act so rashly M’lord. The Drow and Varlyrians make up a majority of our forces. An open assault would not be wise. We need the slime until we can take Abyssian and raise a new army from the dead.

Lord Raavage digs his nails into the arm of the throne, but he realizes he cannot take Abyssian without the Varlyrians and the Drow.

Lord Raavage: And you have a plan, Malicia?

Malicia: Yes, M’lord. We should send my pet to meet with the Dragon Masters. They have much in common, they are both disgraced Avalonians who have found a new home in Nocturnus, and the Dragons could be very useful in an assault on Abyssian. If we can convince the Dragon Masters an Assault on Abyssian is the proper course, the Varlyrians and Drow will have to hold their plans to take Avalonia, giving us enough to time to capture Abyssian and the Orion sphere.

Lord Raavage: Your plan is dangerous Malicia. The Dragon Masters are sworn enemies of the Zugal and the Drow promise them a return of their former lands. How can we persuade the Dragons to do our bidding while keeping peace with the Zugal?

Malicia curls her lips in delight and tilts her head to look the Hand Lord in the eyes.

Malicia: We promise the Zugal the Dragons’ lands once Avalonia has been taken.

Lord Raavage snorts in frustration. He lifts his hand to motion a guard into the room. Killing the Drow and Varlyrian rebel leaders appeals to him once more.

Lord Raavage: If we give the Zugal the Dragons’ lands, the Dragons will never support us.

Malicia takes a quick step forward and to cut off the guard.

Malicia: Which is why we must promise the Dragons they can not only have their Avalonian lands once Abyssian has been taken, but that they may also have the Zugal’s land once Nocturnus is ours. Once we have our army of resurrected warriors, it won’t matter who stands against us.

Lord Raavage understands now. Promise the Zugal’s land to the Dragons for the assistance, and promise the Dragon’s land to the Zugal for their acceptance. Lord Raavage sees the danger, but knows if the Drow and Varlyrians turn the Dragons on Avalonia first, his ability to take Abyssian could be lost forever.

Lord Raavage: Sacrifice our friends for Abyssian? You are most correct Malicia, our alliance with the Zugal should not stand in our way to capture Abyssian. Send your mutt, Sir Burress to convince the Dragons. Outbid the traitors by telling the Dragons we will cede the Zugal’s land AND we will help them retake their lands in Avalonia and I will send a Hand agent to tell the Zugal they shall have the Dragons’ lands once Abyssian is ours. The Zugal are loyal to me, I only fear your mutt will not be able to convince the Dragons to assault Abyssian.

Malicia: Fear not M’Lord. I send Burress with a Dragon Master shield. It was given to me by one of their leaders, Zar Strongfist. Zar will know the message comes from me and that he can trust Burress.

Lord Raavage leans forward in his throne.

14057383389_00e274a8d9_z.jpg

Lord Raavage: Trust Burress? Malicia, it is you the Dragons cannot trust!

********** About this MOC **********

Another day, another Mosiac floor. I built this MOC in the last two days to continue the story. I am using the Drow inspired black and red for the floor on this one and though Zurn also pimps a skull shield as his personal herald, the spider is more Drow-esque. The collab MOC parts are coming Starting Monday!

********** Other Parts of the Story **********

Throne Room at Farnhorn Collab Prelude Part I

The Spider's Chambers Collab Predlude Part II

The Ruins Collab Display Part I

Dragon Keep Collab Display Part II

Zugal's Eyrie Collab Display Part III

Fracture Collab Display

Mocs beside, I am loving this whole story, keep them coming.

Another great room! Love the spider, and the story is really heating up!

Awesome build as always, ZC :thumbup:

The spider floor is fantastic and the wall texture is great - I'm looking forward to the rest of the story :moar:

Very nice mosaic and MOC overall! The story is also great, even though it was long I couldn't stop reading :classic:

A question on the canon story btw, are all of Varlyrio in league with Ravaage or just a rebel fraction of Varlyrians?

This is so cool. Very nice job Z! The wall texture and the mosaic really make this build. Can't wait for more!

Awesome Z, enthralling story and sweet build! The reverse black widow is nicely done.

Sweet build Z, love the spider! The story is great too, can't wait to read the next installment. :thumbup: A question tho - what are the three open studs on the left hand border for? They look curiously out of place.

A question tho - what are the three open studs on the left hand border for? They look curiously out of place.

Ah yes. That side border is SNOT so the female ends meet at those open studs which are the 1x1 with studs on all sides. Really does lock the border in super tight, but I probably should have tiled over them. I was on my way out the door. It's a holiday weekend in the US, so I was traveling out of state, but wanted this chapter up before I left. Next border will be less sloppy, I promise!

Lovely floor design - I'm thinking that the Obsidian Spike had a really good interior designer.

...and the plot thickens, can't wait for more.

Another excellent interior and the story gets more and more intriguing :thumbup:

I like the stone patterns around the windows and the black spikes add to the sinister atmosphere :classic: