Review: 76021 The Milano Spaceship Rescue

99 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Amazing
    • Good
    • OK
    • Below Average
    • Terrible

After a post by a fellow member, I learned that 76021 was already in shelves at the Houston LEGO Store. What followed can be best described as "sheer joy." I had been looking forward to this set since initial descriptions surfaced. A Marvel set that's larger than 400 pieces? A set based on Guardians of the Galaxy, one of the comics on my pull list? I was sold. But did the Milano Spaceship Rescue turn out as well as I'd hoped? Is it truly "all that and a bag of chips?" Read on to find out...

reviewintro.jpg

Name: The Milano Spaceship Rescue

Theme: LEGO Marvel Superheroes

Year: 2014

Pieces: 665

Minifigs: 5 Minifigures

Price: USD $74.99

intro.png

Minifigures: There are 5 minifigures included, 4 of which are exclusive. The Sakaaran appears in all three sets based on the film. I'll start with Star-Lord, the rebellious prince of Spartax.

starlord.png

Star-Lord wears a maroon jumpsuit for space flight. His facial expressions are snarky and angry, similar to most of the other LEGO Marvel Superheroes. His hair is pretty common to find these days, nothing to get excited about. I am excited, however, by his new dual blasters. They're very accurate to the comics and to what we've seen of the film so far. :thumbup:

starlordmask.png

He also comes with a helmet complete with hair! It doesn't look as bad as you might expect. He doesn't tower over minifigures, but it's fairly noticeable. And he has this gun... thing? I'm sure all will be explained in the film.

gamora.png

Next up is Gamora, the most dangerous assassin in the galaxy and the daughter of Thanos, the Mad Titan. Her jumpsuit is basically the female counterpart to Star-Lord's, which makes them seem more like a team. Her hair is unique, and useful to MOCers wanting to create a punk rock/pop star.

drax.png

Drax the Destroyer, a being created with the sole purpose of killing Thanos, completes the Guardians included here. He is controversially grey, falling victim to what I'll call "concept art" syndrome, much like sleeveless widow's peak Mandarin. Drax is adorned with tattoos across his torso and on his arms. If you look closely, you can see little LEGO skulls. Neat-o!

ronan.pngronanaccessories.jpg

Ronan the Accuser, the Supreme Accuser of the Kree Empire, takes the role as lead villain, though he is much more (morally) grey in the comics. Only time will tell if the film will follow that characterization. He has a nice headdress that doesn't fold his cape up too much. He also wields the Universal Weapon and carries what I presume to be one of the infinity gems, or stones as they are called in the MCU.

sakarran.png

The Sakaaran appears to be a member of the Shadow People, the creators of the Old Power. He looks A-OK! Pretty menacing, but forgettable on the whole. His weapon is generic enough to be used for space themed MOCs.

The Necrocraft

skifffront.jpg

Cockpit Open

skiffopen.jpg

The Sakaaran sits at the controls...

skiffopen2.jpg

The engine

skiffengines.jpg

Beauty shot!

skiffronan.jpg

The Sakaaran ship, or Necrofighter in proper terms, is a nice inclusion. Menacing, swooshable, and equipped with two new spring missiles. The controls are simple, but at least they're there (I'm looking at you, Extremis helicopter...).

The Milano

milanointro.jpg

Well equipped for any battle...

milanoweaponry.jpgmilanoweaponry2.jpg

I was surprised that the designer didn't include any of the new spring missiles. There's plenty of room underneath (as you'll see later on). They're super functional and I'm mildly disappointed that we didn't get any to add to the fire power of the Guardians.

Thrusters

milanoengines.jpg

The underside

milanounderside.jpg

Just a quick note, it's nice that the big holes on the underside are covered by large thrusters. It's not perfect but it gets the job done.

Rear view

milanowindow.jpg

The interior

milanointerior1.jpg

Gamora's controls are a printed tile, previously seen in some of the Star Wars sets... Aurebesh lettering? Mark your calendars, everyone: Disney is planning a crossover. Might the Millennium Falcon meet the Milano? :laugh:

Seating (and a fire extinguisher)

milanointerior2.jpg

...and some more seating!

milanointerior3.jpg

Are you "Hooked on a Feeling?"

milanointerior4.jpg

Get ready for lift off!

milanointerioroutro.jpg

Comparison with 6869 Quinjet Aerial Attack

quinjetcomparison.png

Conclusions...

So that's the Milano! Overall this was a joy. The interior is great: spacious, plenty of seating, a very detailed cockpit, lot's of free clips. What's not to love? The window in the back is a nice surprise and gives it some atmosphere. Another nice surprise is the stereo! I imagine that'll be a bigger plot point in the film than we previously thought. Can somebody say: "That's momma Star-Lord's mixtape?" :wink: Back on track: The build was nicely paced, I was never bored. The ship is heavy and full of features so you feel like you're getting your money's worth. Both fighters are very swooshable. There are a smattering of new elements for the MOCers and the figures will leave all of the Marvel fans and kids happy. If I had some criticisms, they're that the wings take a little time to adjust because the ball joints are very close together so it was difficult to position them correctly. Also the lack of Groot as a potted plant is disappointing given how easy it would have been to include. :wacko: Perhaps he doesn't have that ability in the film, only time will tell. But in the end...

Playability: 10/10 (No spring missiles for the Milano, but the interior, swooshability, and Sakaaran Necrofighter more than make up for it)

Design: 10/10 (I see no problems here. As I said before, the build is excellently paced and the Milano is very sturdy)

Price: 9/10 (665 pieces is average for $74. It's forgivable though because the Milano is pretty heavy so you feel like you get your money's worth and there is so much playability)

Overall: 10/10 (Don't delay come June 1!)

Bonus

As a little celebration of the LEGO Marvel Universe entering the cosmic realm, I took a group photo of all of the characters we have thus far...

marvelbonus2.png

Edited by montyofmusic

great work thanks

liked the comparison with the Quinjet very helpful

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Nice to learn about the back details with the thrusters and the window. And the colour choices really make for an appealing model, don't they?

Are you planning on picking up (and reviewing?) any other GotG sets? I'm curious about the Knowhere Escape Mission set.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Nice to learn about the back details with the thrusters and the window. And the colour choices really make for an appealing model, don't they?

Are you planning on picking up (and reviewing?) any other GotG sets? I'm curious about the Knowhere Escape Mission set.

Yes I am! The LEGO store had said that they haven't gotten any in besides the Milano and the X-Jet, but I'll be sure to pick it up once it's on shelves.

Edited by montyofmusic

Wow, really glad that these are coming out! I love the figures and vehicles and have been anticipating the movie since 2012. We only have just over 2 months 'til the movie and a few days until the sets are easily available. Thanks for the great review montyofmusic!

Great review, bud! You rejuvenated my anticipation for this set- can't wait to pick it up! :sweet:

His hair is pretty common to find these days, nothing to get excited about.

His hair is common in black, dark brown and dark orange (BL). But here it seems to be Medium Dark Flesh [bL], which would be the first time it appears in this color.

Now a few questions, still about the parts : Are Star Lord, Gamorra and Drax wearing the same pants ? Is Ronan's sphere painted or moulded ? And the Technic panels at the tip of the wings, they seem to be silver, rather than bley as I initially thought. Are they ?

His hair is common in black, dark brown and dark orange (BL). But here it seems to be Medium Dark Flesh [bL], which would be the first time it appears in this color.

Now a few questions, still about the parts : Are Star Lord, Gamorra and Drax wearing the same pants ? Is Ronan's sphere painted or moulded ? And the Technic panels at the tip of the wings, they seem to be silver, rather than bley as I initially thought. Are they ?

My bad! I'll change that in the review...

Yes, they are all wearing the same pants, Ronan's sphere is moulded, and the technic panels are in silver.

Excellent review 'MoM', nice to see the main ship compared to the Quin-jet.....ouch this one is going to be pricey ! :blush:

The minifigs and weapons are awesome......especially Star-lord's blasters ! :wub:

Now we'll be tossing up singing along to either Everything Is Awesome or Hooked On A Feeling ? :laugh:

Ronan's sphere is moulded, and the technic panels are in silver.

Thanks ! Now that is interesting. That makes one more reason to buy this ship. :laugh:

Thanks for the review. I was about to say the hair color looked new, which is always welcome.

The ship looks pretty solid. I know very little about these a-holes, outside of the trailers, so the movie will be one big surprise for me. These sets look entertaining and fun without knowing the source material. That's better than some of the Avengers sets, although two of these GOTG sets are flying ships, so that helps the sale.

The figures look great, although I think I like the Marvel game's versions better, but these seem pretty true to the movie, which the game's versions did not. I rather like that Sakaaran. He looks rather disturbing and terrifying. I wouldn't mind building an army of him. Way better than the Chitauri.

The comparison is neat. I hadn't thought to compare the two, but it makes sense.

The price is about average, but I think I will still wait until I can find a sale. I never want to pay more when I can pay less.

Thank you very much for the review chap!

this set packs some great figs, and it has great interior on the Milano

Overall great set and nice review :wink:

Thanks for the review! I was already tempted to get this set but now I can't wait to get it, despite it doesn't fit in my Lego budget :cry_sad: The Milano ship is so cool and the minfigures are amazing, I especially like the printing on Drax, that is one fine artwork. The new molds are useful as well, the guns can be used for any Sci-fi MOCs, I don't know how the figure costume accessories can be used elsewhere but they are awesome nevertheless. The only letdown in this set is the little ship, it looks weird and unfinished :sceptic: but the rest of the set is a real treat.

I'm really looking forward to this set. Star-Lord's helmet actually looks pretty cool, better than in the preview shots I saw. I don't really mind Drax being grey either, considering how great his printing looks. I really love the Lego skull tattoos, especially. Ronan looks cool, Gamora looks cool, and most of all the Milano looks awesome. I love the big interiors we're getting this wave between the Milano and the Blackbird, hopefully it sets a precedent going forward. Really wanna see some more sets where we can actually put all the included figs (or in this case, the included ones plus some) in their proper vehicle.

Also Star-Lord's blasters are really sweet, looking forward to using them for some other sci-fi setups.

Edited by Hrafnblod

Great review!

Gamora's controls are a printed tile, previously seen in some of the Star Wars sets... Aurebesh lettering? Mark your calendars, everyone: Disney is planning a crossover. Might the Millennium Falcon meet the Milano? :laugh:

I can see it now: Guardians of a Galaxy far, far, away... :laugh:

Edited by 8BrickMario

Thanks for the shout out, Monty!! Awesome review, didn't think the set would look this amazing

Is that me or the minifigs seem to be reaaaaly overdetailed? They look so...unnatural.

It might be just you. In my humble opinion, these minifigs are absolutely stunning in their detail. Gamora has a gorgeous head and jumpsuit, the Sakaaran has one of the creepiest heads yet, and Drax is just an epic fig all around. Not to mention this spaceship is one of the best-looking Lego's ever produced. The colors are bright and cheerful (none of this industrial bley nonsense :wink: ), the design is amazing, and the dozens of details and play features are great. I am so looking forward to this set!

It might be just you. In my humble opinion, these minifigs are absolutely stunning in their detail. Gamora has a gorgeous head and jumpsuit, the Sakaaran has one of the creepiest heads yet, and Drax is just an epic fig all around. Not to mention this spaceship is one of the best-looking Lego's ever produced. The colors are bright and cheerful (none of this industrial bley nonsense :wink: ), the design is amazing, and the dozens of details and play features are great. I am so looking forward to this set!

Yeah, that's my problem. The skullguy looks so... naturaland creepy. It's not that funny overdrawing that lego did before.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I just checked and the rest of the sets are now on shelves.

Edited by montyofmusic