Sign in to follow this  
Steinkopf

MOC: ABe 4/12 II

Hello Everyone

Over the years of building models for my LBB I have had a number of projects that have sat on the backburner for several years, this happens for a number of reasons that range from availability of parts in a certain colour to waiting around for a whole new part to be released that will open up new building opportunities. This model falls into the latter category, I had always wanted to build a modern styled 3 Car Electric Multiple Unit for several years but struggled to find a design for the cab that I was happy with, for me I like a nice clean build as I have an aversion to unsightly gaps and bumps that in reality should be a smooth transition. Recently my wish came true with the introduction of the part ref 11477 Curved Slope 2 x 1 http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=11477&colorID=5&in=A that compliments the part ref 88930 2 x 4 Bow Plate http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=88930&colorID=5&in=A , this gave me the ability to make a 6 wide cab with a rounded bottom section and I am pretty happy with the results, anyway now lets get to the backstory.

During the mid 1990s it became apparent to the LBB operating division that the ABe 4/12 class of 3 Car EMUs were becoming somewhat tired and increasingly harder and more expensive to retain. The ABe 4/12 units had been in service from the mid 1960s and the decision was made to dispose of the whole fleet and replace them with a more modern design, a total of 12 ABe 4/12 II units were purchased between 1998 and 2003 to facilitate that. The ABe 4/12 have little in common with their predecessors other than the wheel arrangement and 3 Car format, the new design boasts more powerful traction motors as well as air conditioning which provides a far more comfortable and efficient ride for it's passengers.

This model has been inspired by a number of modern EMU designs including the DB Class 423 and Class 425 units.

13867399904_467d453b20_z.jpg

LBB ABe 4/12 II by Das Steinkopf, on Flickr

13871704255_f02be5b39e_z.jpg

13867406064_99edaa4132_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Wow, that is an excellently detailed building of a common train and in a common color no less. Very well played. It looks like 7725 is finally all grown up.

7725-1.jpg?0

Yup, first thing I thought when I saw it was: 7725! Just another model that proves you don't need big sleek nose pieces. This could be released as a set and would definitely sell!

Would have looked much better if that ugly nose wasn't brickbuild :thumbdown:

:tongue:

Very nice indeed! (but so are all your creations). It also have the look of a subway/Metro/U-bahn type of train

Yeah, this would sell like hotcakes!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yup, first thing I thought when I saw it was: 7725! Just another model that proves you don't need big sleek nose pieces. This could be released as a set and would definitely sell!

Wow, that is an excellently detailed building of a common train and in a common color no less. Very well played. It looks like 7725 is finally all grown up.

7725-1.jpg?0

Thanks Benn and Ronald

When building my trains I try to present a "what if" situation where if LEGO had continued on with the 9v range that the designs and construction of them had matured into more detailed models, not to say that this has not happened already as seen by the Horizon Express and the Maersk Train albeit in PF. The idea is in many respects make it look like it could be an official set, yet at the same time make it look like it could be based on a real life design.

Edited by Steinkopf

The idea is in many respects make it look like it could be an official set, yet at the same time make it look like it could be based on a real life design.

I don't know, it looks WAY too good to be a set.