Sign in to follow this  

Hi ya everybody! I'm new here.

First of all I would like to introduce myself as huge fan of LEGO TECHNIC since 27 years so far. Been building tower cranes, cranes, trucks and all the heavy building vehicle you can image! In the other hand being a real car designer it helps me at giving bit of style to every model I do, and nontheless I always try to keep the model as tidy as I can.

Now, I decided to "refurbish" myself and get a bit more modern by using the LLD software. Reason being is living in the Internet era would be nice to share my projects with all the other LEGO fans on here. Plus I would like to create huge massive model that in realty would be tricky to realize.

Downloaded, installed ...3.....2....1...go! FAIL. OK...let me say....I use on a regular basis software for 3D modeling, but this DDL looks a bit weird, it could be done in better way.

First attempt: a differential case with 3 gears inside; ok for the first two gears....why can't I connect the third one? as you see in the pics the gear is transparent, it means it's not gonna snap to it's pin... where am I wrong? what should I do?

Please help me...and I'll promise you day after day I'll get it better.....till the day you will see some nice mocs, (hopefully) :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

LLD1.png

LLD2.png

LLD DDL... More like LDD :laugh:

You need to put the gears in order and turn them so the teeth match when you do it.

edit:

Btw I don't see axles, it is easier to put some axles before, you can remove or replace them later.

Edited by aol000xw

Lol sorry for the mistake!! what a bad start then!

Allright...I'll give it another try! Hopefully this time I'll succeed! feeling like a beginner! :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Ok done it!! But now if I rotate one axle the other gears don't follow it......how can I make it move all together? Should I use the hinge tool but how? I use it for rotating one axle and of course it's gear...but what about the other attached gears to it?

:cry_sad: :cry_sad:

Thanks for any helps guys and sorry for the slow start!

Yeah LDD is very picky about collisions :wink: If you need any help in LDD, I also have lots of experiences and you can PM me.

You just need to put axles in the diff and use the rotate function and rotate gears some 12-16 degrees..Than the third one should fit.

Edited by Zblj

Welcome to Eurobricks TheItalianBrick,when assembling the three small gears inside the differentials in LDD it is best to rotate the middle gear and not the two at ether side as this can be a nuisance later on.

Ok guys thanks all! I did put the third gear actually, but now I would like to rotate them all together....like simulating a bit of movements/animations! That would be a nice tip to go on with!

Zblj thanks very much for you time and consideration as well, although an answer written here could be useful for other users as well. For big issues I'll definitely contact you! :wink:

Another good tool is the alighn tool to get your gears lined up. They must all have a rotations connection. For example. They must all have a spindle to rotate on.

If you really want to see your functions working, you should forget working with LDD. It doesn't support rotating gears (although it can animate lever constructions). The software to make Technic creations and test there functions is SR 3D Builder. It's a little bit more difficult to use then LDD, but is capable of much more. And since you say you have some experience with these kind of programs, I don't see much problems for you. You'll see that there's better support for pneumatic hoses etc as well. Also, for more information, try posting your questions in the LDD (and other digital tools) forum. Hope this helps!

Beaver thanks, I did download SR 3D, actually designed by Sergio, but it only runs on Windows as far as I know, Would be nice to use it with my mac. Anywya as I have both I'll give it a try!

Actually I was thinking to import all the briks into Catia V5 (for those who know what I'm talking about) and build my moc, test it and even stress it with weight loaded (first moc is gonna be a.....OH WAIT....not gonna tell you right now LOL!)

Anyway I;ll see how it goes now with LDD first of all, cos I can still design it with LDD some parts and then build them with real bricks to see if gears works properly!

Thanks, Andrea