Gabe

[GNAR] Barqan Dromon

This is my entry for the "warship" GNAR category.

The dromons are the heavy hitters of the Kaliphlin navy. Developed in Barqa, where the use of fire siphons was first employed in naval warfare, they are a devastating force, especially when deployed in formation. Thier heavy rams are proven ship-killers, and the prow siphon can throw a fire attack well over 30 metres. With the expansion of the fleet, construction of many of these intimidating ships have been contracted to the Peregrinus shipbuilders, who have been hard at work sourcing the finest timber from local and Mitgardian stocks to complete the order on time. Here, a newly built ship, The Kraken, is being sailed in convoy with others to join the rest of the fleet in Barqa.

dromon1eb_220514.jpg

dromon3eb_220514.jpg

dromon5eb_220514.jpg

dromon6eb_220514.jpg

dromon7eb_220514.jpg

The Peregrinian shipwrights have also added thier own touch to the dromons - 4 mini catapaults to hurl pitch bombs at the enemy.

dromon9eb_220514.jpg

Lord Sansael has taken the opportunity to deliver this batch of new ships personally - he also takes the time to discuss the latest developments in naval strategy with The Kraken's new captain.

dromon11eb_220514.jpg

C&c welcome as always - thanks for looking peeps! :classic:

oh wow, this ship is most amazing, so many detail such great looks! Definetely what Kaliphlin ships should look like!

The ship is Lovely... Full of beautiful details :) I really like the way you make the water also!

Oh my, I've been gawking at this all morning on Flickr...

Gabe, once again you've shown your mastery at these Byzantine-style ships. The prow and stern gallery (not sure what it's really called on a dromon) are absolutely gorgeous. And the mostly brick built hull is very well done. I love the greek-fire type weapon - I was wondering when someone would incorporate one of these into a GNAR build. :grin: Having it fire through the dragon's mouth is awesome, like the old Korean turtle ships.

The Kaliphlin waterways must be the safest in all of Historica with these elegant warships!

Edited by MassEditor

Wow! There is so much to see here. The water, the hull.... Also I believe I see a crew working the oars below decks. Is every oar manned by a minifig?

Glad I join your side of the map Gabe. I will consider our coast well protected. :classic:

Another great ship from you Gabe, the shaping on the stern especially turned out great, and the sail is a really nice touch. My favorite part though would be the water, love the foamy ripples and even more the use of trans green! :thumbup:

Another absolutely stunning ship, Gabe, great build :oh:

Excellent job on the hull and sails, my favorite part is probably the front with the studs out :moar:

As Kai mentioned the use of the trans-green in the water gives the build a very unique and awesome feel :thumbup:

Great job :sweet:

Wow, absolutely stunning!

I love most how you made the shields and the water.

Edited by krono111

Although I follow the guilds closely, especially the GNAR these days, I don't really dare to post here among all you fantastic builders. But this ship is so WOW, I just had to wow it out loud here!

Stunning everything. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nuff said, I humbly retreat back to the Pirates' forum.

Regards

Darn it Gabe, stop posting such sweet ships! You're leaving very little chance for the rest of us here. :sadnew:

In all seriousness, totally awesome ship. The curve of the tail pieces is superb, and the overall shape is very nice. The cabin is really cool too. I'm curious how you got the emblem on the sails? Is that paper? Because it looks very sail like.

But seriously, stop posting ships.

I mean it.

:tongue:

Great build with a lot of great details. I'm really like the water as well. Everything are stunning with this moc!

Holy Bananas!! This is awesome my friend! Is the sail handmade? Looks great! You do have one might fleet in Kaliphlin! Now if we only could make a mighty fleet in Avalonia! :)

You already outdid yourself with one ship yet you submit another superb entry :wub: ! The sides of the ship look great with the plates and ornamentation, (especially all the oars). I also like the sails and mast. Very well done

Wow, incredible gabe! I love the brick built hull, and the sails are the best I've seen. Amazing.

Great ship! Everything is perfect, the custom sail, the inclusion of the viking ship hull and the overall shape :thumbup:.

Looks excellent Gabe. I love the bird shaped ram and the design on the sail is awesome. That was hand drawn? Brick on Gabe!

It won't be long before this is front-paged, it's that good! Amazing all around! I especially like how you've added on to the viking "hull" piece for the stern and your droid-arm/black-vine rope ladders.

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments, i am glad that you have enjoyed my build! :blush:

Oh my, I've been gawking at this all morning on Flickr...

Gabe, once again you've shown your mastery at these Byzantine-style ships. The prow and stern gallery (not sure what it's really called on a dromon) are absolutely gorgeous. And the mostly brick built hull is very well done. I love the greek-fire type weapon - I was wondering when someone would incorporate one of these into a GNAR build. :grin: Having it fire through the dragon's mouth is awesome, like the old Korean turtle ships.

The Kaliphlin waterways must be the safest in all of Historica with these elegant warships!

Thanks Mass Editor! I've had a dromon on my "to build" list for a while now, so it feels good to realise it at last. :classic: I know of at least one other Kaliphlin person who built a dromon as well, but they are keeping it back for their challenge II build.

ps. Thanks, now i've added "Korean turtle ship" to my ever growing to build list! :laugh:

Wow! There is so much to see here. The water, the hull.... Also I believe I see a crew working the oars below decks. Is every oar manned by a minifig?

Glad I join your side of the map Gabe. I will consider our coast well protected. :classic:

Cheers mate! Yep, every oar is manned - i should take the deck off and take a pic, i forgot to do that... :look:

Although I follow the guilds closely, especially the GNAR these days, I don't really dare to post here among all you fantastic builders. But this ship is so WOW, I just had to wow it out loud here!

Stunning everything. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nuff said, I humbly retreat back to the Pirates' forum.

Regards

Nooo, don't go, stay a while! You can build some ships with us here, we won't mind at all. :thumbup: GoH are a friendly mob (apart from the odd inter-guild heckling), i promise! :wink: Seriously, thanks for your kind words, hope to see you visit us again soon.

Darn it Gabe, stop posting such sweet ships! You're leaving very little chance for the rest of us here. :sadnew:

In all seriousness, totally awesome ship. The curve of the tail pieces is superb, and the overall shape is very nice. The cabin is really cool too. I'm curious how you got the emblem on the sails? Is that paper? Because it looks very sail like.

But seriously, stop posting ships.

I mean it.

:tongue:

Aw thanks Hammerhand! :laugh: The sails are just acrylic primed canvas, and the emblem is hand painted. It gives a nice stiffness to the sails, you can even bend them to shape a little bit.

Great build Gabe! I absolutely love this dromon, and that other Kaliphlinite has nothing on this!

I sit in awe before the awesomeness of your ship-building (and building in general). I do have one tiny, tiny nitpick: the flags. If the ship is sailing, the wind is from the back, so the flags should be fluttering forwards. If the oarslaves are rowing, it's because there's no wind (or very little wind), so the flags should be drooping lifelessly (which I don't have a clue how to accomplish with the plastic LEGO flags). Other than that, there's nothing to improve - this is excellent.

Edited by nstickney