BirdOPrey5

Serious question about Lego flowers

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do flowers go on stems studs up or studs down?

• The right way (studs up) ;)
    • The wrong way (studs down) :P
    • Either way
    • Is that a serious question?
    • Does LEGO make flowers?

I'm looking closely at the Eurobricks image across the top with all the Lego flowers... Are all of those flower tops on upside down or have I been putting mine on upside down for as long as I can remember? :wacko:

I think they put the flowers that way to add more 'height' to the image. :classic:

I don't think it matters which way they go,and is up to the builder to decide on which side up they are.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I'm looking closely at the Eurobricks image across the top with all the Lego flowers... Are all of those flower tops on upside down or have I been putting mine on upside down for as long as I can remember? :wacko:

In official sets, flowers are put on the stems in exactly the same way as in our banner.

In official sets, flowers are put on the stems in exactly the same way as in our banner.

Wow. Never noticed before. I'm such a rebel!

Edited by BirdOPrey5

It is like the folks in Lilyput from Gulliver's Travels! The big endians opened they eggs on the big side, the little endians on the small side. Hence the computer term big endian vs. little endian (interpreting bits from left to right or the other way around).

Yep, I have always done my flowers the "official" way. I think it gives the flower more definition with a bit of shadowing. If you put them in upside-down they lose quite a bit of "texture".

Serious questions belong in the General Discussion forum. Moving. :tongue:

What a great topic! I noticed some years ago that official sets had the flowers put on "upside down" (from my perspective) and recall, maybe when I was 10 or so, deciding that I was going to consciously put them on the other way. That was a big deal, you see, because I'm usually really OCD about having bricks perfectly aligned, even the things like flex tubes/hoses, etc.! :blush:

I've loosened up a bit these days and agree with tedbeard in that it does give them a bit more dimension. I'll mix them up a bit to help represent different varieties, and I've been messing with some of the interesting techniques I've seen floating around, like adding a lever base (part 4592) on the stem under the petals to make them look like tulips. Good to have variety... but yeah, we've been putting them on incorrectly all this time. :wink:

There's a modular where they're put on 'upside down'. *goes to check* yup, it's the Town Hall.

I have never noticed that either, I always put them on the other way around, no idea why, they looked right that way (To me.) I guess? May have try them out this way round to see what they look like.

I believe the official policy is studs up, so the designers enjoy trying to sneak studs down into the sets just for a bit of fun.

There are more sets with studs down flowers:

379-1.jpg?0

379 Bus Station from the first flower years (1979) is an example.

My brother actually got the 379 bus station for Christmas when it came out, it was the first set we got that had flowers. Ever since then it has been studs down for me until recently when i started mixing the ways.

I always thought it was the other way too! Only in recent years had I noticed them used as they are on the banner.

During the '80s it was studs down... Guess we old guys still put htem taht way!

:wacko: I'm from the 80s and the "normal" way to me is with studs up. In the sets I had they were that way, e.g.

http://brickset.com/sets/6372-1/Town-House

http://brickset.com/sets/6374-1/Holiday-Home

http://brickset.com/sets/6360-1/Weekend-Cottage

http://brickset.com/sets/6397-1/Gas-N-Wash-Express

And it seems so for most of the sets from that time. I always found strange to see them studs down in a few places.

Back then there wasn't many SNOT, so the studs were usually on top :laugh:

I always put stud down too. But to me it looked like a flower that way. In general bloom is up and out, so that's how it makes sense to me.

I like them stud up :classic: This makes me want to build something with flowers. I guess for variety you could mix them up a little, after all flowers come in many shapes :classic:

Despite being a child of the '80s I always assumed they were supposed to be studs up as a child. The only set I remember having which had flowers was 530 basic build set which has studs up flowers so that is probably why. Studs down flowers still look slightly wrong to me, though they're probably more botanically accurate. Variety is probably the best policy as nature is very varied. I do like the use of the level base to make tulip type though. We spotted that in the Lego Ideas Book and I was impressed that my 6 year old quickly worked out how they were made even though she's only seen the levers at her grandparents.

Using them stud up then stud could represent the middle of this kind of flower, or any flower with a large middle bit (I really should know what the middle bit is called!)

Edited by zabdiel

Yes, I was thinking of that kind of flower too - called a daisy in English (well British English at least). An Ox-eye daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare) would be closer to the correct scale for lego plants.