glendo

The use of set number 10xxx

I havent seen it discussed here, but my observations have noticed that in the near future the 10xxx numbers will run out. The numbers set are used for Creator expert, Modulars, UCS sets (including SW) duplo, lego juniors and probably more.

what will they use next? 11xxx? 99xxx?

will they shift all SW UCS to the 75xxx numbering of sets?

does anyone know the answer to this one at all?

I think unless we get someone directly from LEGO is just going to be a bunch of speculation.

Have they really used all 999 of the 10,xxx numbers?

I think if they are actually running out they can easily move to another number scheme without anyone making a fuss.

There is no need to think about it yet. There are still more than 200 numbers free between 10280 and 10500 and quite a few more between 10500 and 11000.

They aren't used for UCS SW sets anymore, nor most themed D2C sets.

I'm sorry but does anyone really care what the first two digits of Creator set numbers in 2019 are going to be?

Lego set numbers rarely follow any reliable pattern or logic.

I'm sorry but does anyone really care what the first two digits of Creator set numbers in 2019 are going to be?

I thought you would, don't you have CDO?

I thought you would, don't you have CDO?

I remember someone even wrote an article about the logic of set numbers. :wink:

I remember someone even wrote an article about the logic of set numbers. :wink:

Someone hacked my account. :sadnew:

For me 10xxx was synonymous for 'BUY'. Now some AFOL sets have different numbering like the Simpsons sets which makes it all a bit more fragmented.

I would much prefer sets (all sets) to be number based on this standard.

ThemeYearSet

As an example the first Technic set this year might be Tech1401, the third starwars set would be SW1203 and so on.

I think unless we get someone directly from LEGO is just going to be a bunch of speculation.

Have they really used all 999 of the 10,xxx numbers?

I think if they are actually running out they can easily move to another number scheme without anyone making a fuss.

I think it is more that there is greater crossover between what used to be considered "internal only D2C" product and "retail product" these days. TRU Walmart and TRget are all carrying what used to be D2C stuff via their web sites, etc. the designation slowly became meaningless. A lot of the newer sets such as the Simpsons seem to exist in a Grayer area.

We have also observed a few hints that the 10xxx series of numbering may have been used not simply for D2C, but for other "internal customer set designs" such as statues and display pieces. Stuff that is not for customers, and not for sale, but exists in their catalog of designs for internal use. So they may have eaten up more of the 10xxx range than we would be aware of.

LEGO took more than 30 years from when they started using 4 digits number (late 70's? early 80's?) until they ran out last year and started using 5 digits exclusively for all new sets.

I think we'd be good for a few more decades before they run out of number between 10000 and 19999 :D

well i found this, but it has not included duplo 105xx sets

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Set_References_10000_-_19999

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=44&sortBy=I&sortAsc=D&catType=S

- duplo has used 10500 - 10576 so far.

- 10600's have already been used

- some 11xxx already used

still a lot left, but not as many left unused as you may believe either.