On a scale of 1 to 5   

166 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

I put mine together the other night - first time in a long time I followed directions to put together an actually Lego set. The past year, I've been "fee-building" a train layout - buildings, landscaping, train bed, etc. I'm very pleased with how the build is - a lot of neat/special pieces in the set!!

Got mine Thursday. Spent Friday morning putting it together. It's already my favorite set. The build, as others stated, is rock solid, and looks amazing. I'm probably going to buy a second one and keep it boxed.

That''s exactly what i did; i built one and kept a second boxed. So, I now have the BTF car and Ghostbusters cars boxed, and a second one built each.

This is easily my 2nd favorite set next to 6348 Surveillance Squad. It was my 1st Lego set and that will always hold a special place in my heart. It's sad the set I have now is not my original as those pieces were mostly lost over the course of my childhood(bought my current one on Bricklink for $20).

This was such a great build with a ton of amazing techniques and pieces I've never used. My only gripes were the printing of manual, the colors were too dark for being on a black background. The 2nd(which has the issues from the 1st gripe), was the building of the Minifig's Proton Packs got really confusing when it came to the wand(?) part of the pack, mainly rotating it. I also had an issue with getting the end of the Whip Bent piece in to the Clip Light piece.

Thanks for the review!

I'm torn between this, and the BTTF set, although, it seems I am steering towards this, as Ghostbusters was always a childhood favorite of mine!

A definite buy!

Built it this last weekend and it is fantastic! And I discovered that you can get all four ghostbusters seated in the car with no modification - you just need the two behind the driver to be sat facing each other, but it is a tight fit!

This is will be one of the best selling sets ever. It might be "the best" too.

Not the best set though, just best selling set.

Edited by Dharkan

Built it this morning, after receiving it from lego last saturday. I really like this set, the manual i was very carefull with, reading about how easy the pages become loose, and my manual unfortunatly has the same flaw. The set itself was a joy to build, lots of techniques i never could have thought of, and i really should get another set just for keeps because this set will sell like mad!

I love this set so much it goes on the top shelf of my display cabinet, unfortunatly the haunted house does not fit, but i did something else....

full.jpg

full.jpg

Now wait a minute! We are ghostbusters, not monster fighters! :laugh:

I was just thinking how the Ecto-1 really fits any MF set perfectly. It looks nice with the hearse. Unfortunately the only MF set I have is Swamp Creature but it'll do.

(...)

- The set includes a minifig stand from the CMF series in light gray, but for no particular reason. It's buried in the chassis build and could easily have just been two 2x3 plates. Its inclusion is nice, but completely unnecessary. Thanks though, LEGO!

(...)

"Completely unnecessary"? How do you know? Have you asked me the reason? ;)

I put mine together last weekend... it is... AWESOME! Really, one of the better vehicles LEGO has ever produced, even without the retro Ghostbusters coolness factor.

Too bad the matching fire station wasn't green lighted. I will MOC one of my own eventually but an official set would've been very welcome. In spite of the fact that LEGO has their own modular version I bet it would've sold pretty well.

ROFL and thank you so much for this one Marcos. This one will certainly be a contender for best set of the year. (Right now I'm torn between this the Benny's Spaceship). It's absolutely the best Lego car I have ever laid hands on.

Really I prefer this as the best set of the year, with Spaceship second. Spaceship is really an amazing set but this just nails the look of such an iconic car perfectly. Add in all the cool stuff like printed tiles, display stand, and silver parts and this is a must-buy. I hope that someday Brent's Stay Puft could come to give the car a worthy opponent.

Now wait a minute! We are ghostbusters, not monster fighters! :laugh:

Thanks Jorrith. Good to see you placing the set with the Monster Fighters Theme, especially with the Vampire Hearse. It give a good gauge of how well both look together.

Ohhh!! :wub:

I am very sure you have been reading through everyone's comments in this review. Pretty much, give you a very good sense of how wonderful this set has delighted many fans out there.

Appreciate if you can or if allow to share some interesting insights in your design process. It will be very insightful to hear from your take. :sweet:

Cool, what was the reason?

(...)

Thank you for asking! :)

Often we notice in building tests we do with kids that they have a serious hard time pressing plates together. Not only the big ones, but also more "reasonable" sizes like a 2x6. And new consumers - often attracted by IPs like this one, without necessarily having much experience with LEGO - end up having a not optimal experience if we don't take it in consideration that it takes more effort and attention to make sure the bricks are pressed together.

With this in mind, having two 2x3 plates instead would have tripled the amount of studs in that area, so I saw a perfect opportunity to introduce an element that I must admit I've completely fallen in love with lately. The color change wasn't done by me. I believe some other product that came or is coming out this year has needed it.

(...)

I am very sure you have been reading through everyone's comments in this review. Pretty much, give you a very good sense of how wonderful this set has delighted many fans out there.

(...)

Unfortunately I can't always keep track of your comments - you guys write too much! hehe - but I did read some and i must say i'm very happy you guys loved this set.

I was thrilled to be part of it and with the great feedback I've been receiving I feel definitely very inspired and motivated for everything else still yet to come! :) So, thank you all!

Edited by marcosbessa

A very strong contender for "set of the year". Parisian Restaurant and the MINI Cooper will be up there as well.

Thank you for asking! :)

Often we notice in building tests we do with kids that they have a serious hard time pressing plates together. Not only the big ones, but also more "reasonable" sizes like a 2x6. And new consumers - often attracted by IPs like this one, without necessarily having much experience with LEGO - end up having a not optimal experience if we don't take it in consideration that it takes more effort and attention to make sure the bricks are pressed together.

That makes a lot of sense. At the tail end of my dark ages, I picked up the Mega Bloks Enterprise D set on clearance and I completely understand what you mean about pressing plates together. That thing was all stacked plates and it was definitely not a nice building experience (especially when not all the plates actually fit together due to the quality issues). I can see where designing the set to fit together without a lot of pushing strength would be an advantage for gateway drugs sets like this one.

I got my set on Sunday as a Fathers day present and built it straight away with my 5year old daughter :grin:

Great build, great play set too! it looks excellent with the minifig stand. She enjoyed the set so much that we sat and watched Ghostbusters together while she played withe the car :laugh:

My only question Marcos, is why are the suits not grey like the film? :blush:

My only question Marcos, is why are the suits not grey like the film? :blush:

They weren't grey in the movie, just the lighting and film make them look grey in certain scenes, see here for more info :)

They weren't grey in the movie, just the lighting and film make them look grey in certain scenes, see here for more info :)

Very interesting! Thanks for the info

Finished building last night... very cool, and the car looks fantastic when done. Great techniques! I really love it.

My only disappointing aspect of the whole set is that the 8 “white 6051511 Plate 1X2 W. 1 Knob” piece are not the same white quality, 3 of them are White, but 5 of them look a little semi translucent white. Anyone with the same problem?

I got this set on the first and built it as soon as I could. It's easily one of my favorite sets ever. It's so cool that Brent and Marcos are both members, and we get a look into all the sides of bringing this set together.

The only disappointing thing, to me, is that we won't get any other Ghostbusters sets...or will we? I'd love to see the gray uniforms from GB2, and tech from the movies as well as the game. Slime blower, anyone?

Edited by punkkid364

My disappointment is that the instruction manual by the time we got to about page 30 fell apart, not seen such a poorly bound instruction manual in Lego history,

If everyones is like this, I think we could be looking at a free replacement being sent to all Ghostbusters owners. Such a shame as so much effort went into the quality of the manual

Paul

My manual did not fall apart. The style of binding for the manual was not conducive to building - if it needs to be that thick, spiral bound would have worked a lot better. I did not force the book open, though - I'd just put something on it - heavy enough to hold the page, but only just so (like the TV remote), and didn't force the page open. But still, I may have just been lucky with a second run book or something (I doubt it, though).