Sign in to follow this  
dverburg

Review: 76022 - X-Men vs. The Sentinel

Got this set today (all the summer 2014 sets are out now in the UK)

Really pleased with it - plane is much bigger 'in person', in fact - this is easily the best Marvel set. The price feels about right - although its clearly well above the normal $/£0.10p a brick which we expect to see.

Got this set today (all the summer 2014 sets are out now in the UK)

Really pleased with it - plane is much bigger 'in person', in fact - this is easily the best Marvel set. The price feels about right - although its clearly well above the normal $/£0.10p a brick which we expect to see.

Did you find the guardians sets at all?was it lego store or independent?

thunderbird and Sprite are very obscure.

I'd like:

Emma Frost

Beast

Nightcrawler

Prof. X

Banshee

Kitty Pryde

Phoenix (I have a nice custom, but I need An official one)

Collosus

Mystique

Stepford Cuckoos

And many many more.

Sprite was Kitty Pride's original code name, before she settled on Shadowcat. Her outfit's for it were an original X-Men/New Mutants style school uniform, and then briefly a green outfit with blue trim (almost never seen.)

The chances of a Thunderbird or Warpath fig went up by an order of magnitude. He appears prominently in the new DOFP movie. If Lego were to do a fig of him I suspect they would use the classic Red and Blue outfit that was worn by both John and James.

As for the rest of your list, I think most are more than reasonable.

Edited by Faefrost

Did you find the guardians sets at all?was it lego store or independent?

I would also like to know this =P

I've seen Tesco has Starblaster Showdown on its website though "currently unavailable". I've found they're usually the first to stock, followed by Argos.

Got mine, put it together and its very cool. think you can add one more seat at most so one more member can sit down. As a possibility

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you took out the tool cabinet. Let me know if you do it!

It became available in stock on Amazon yesterday. Last night there were 12 in stock, now they are all gone. I've never known an item sell out so fast...

It's also now available at argos for order in to store.

Thanks for the review!

I managed to pick this set up today from Toys R Us (without their markup since it was on the shelves earlier than it should have been)--they surprisingly also had the new Lego Movie sets too but that's beside the point.

Anyways, I love this set now that it's in my hand. The jet is very swooshable although surprisingly heavy when completed. After having it in hand, I think it's possible to mod it to fit five seats instead of four, but it may be possible to fit a sixth. The figures are all great, although Cyclops is the most boring in my opinion--the dark blue with little detail makes him very dark and he blends in too much with the ship.

I have to say, the Sentinel is perhaps the best part--which is somewhat ironic for me since it was the think I hated the most from the early pictures of the set. He is smaller in person I have to say however he also seems more full and not nearly as thin as most pictures make him out to be. I now hope to pick up a few Sentinels online to make a small army of them.

The sentinel is okay. I really don't like the printed head. Might try and brick build one. This set really doesn't click with me. Getting it solely for Storm :wub: And Cyclops :sceptic:

It's a great set. Figures are fantastic. Only slightly brought down by 2 figs that are new versions of characters we already have, when there are so many more we want. But they are at least great versions of those characters. Wolvie and Magneto in late 80's gear is great. (I confess I was a bad boy and just picked up custom Rogue, gambit and Beast figs to round them out a bit.)

The plane itself has its pros and cons. But mostly is very good. It's a solid model. With a surprising amount of interior space and detailing. It looks like a late 80's comic X Plane (note NOT the Blackbird.) very Swooshable. My only complaints are it seems kind of short and stubby for the version of craft it is depicting. It feels like it should be longer. Also can anyone see the purpose for the lower small wings? Either functionally or stylistically? They don't have enough range of motion to be at interesting angles, they have no function and are all but unnoticeable. So what is the point of them?

Hello,

I am very glad to read this fantastic review.

but right now, my heart is not completely satisfyed with the set ( I plan to buy it during the summer)

The Blackbird ( SR71) is my favorite plane in the world. The X-men one is a modified one.

The plane in this set seems very small ( very "KawaII") but I think that it has to be as big as the Quinjet. This said, it needs to be longer and larger. I like the idea to make more like this model

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/X-JETPage.htm

Also, the Sentinel seems to me too "funny"... not enought "scary"

Once again, if we see this set like a toy, it is ok, everything is "homogen"

But I really like to MOD this set and I think I would need to buy two of this set...

As most have said cyclops is a disappointment, what happened to his chest, hes missing the pec line, no legprints either, customs have done this character so much better, regardless this set is a must buy, thanks for the review OP

Got this set a few weeks ago and I have to say its pretty great. Cyclops is my favorite X-Men too, but found that the pale orange color used for the hands and belt piece didn't work. Instead I changed it to the standard yellow, which looks much better.

What did they do to Cyclops?! Brett Ratner might have exploded him but lego killed him...

No hair piece, no printed legs - sorry lego, were you rushing to meet a deadline?

(...)

That seems a bit of an overreaction, no? ;)

Look at this: 1183.jpg

Out of 5 different versions of the character, represented in that picture, only one has hair. Now, who's rushing in their assumptions and comments? :)

The license partner actually has a lot of a say in what versions we can or cannot use, so it's not just up to us, designers, to pick and put them in the box.

I don't think leg printing would have added much. Even in the comics its just a boring costume. I've never been a fan of it or the original First Class outfit.

I don't think leg printing would have added much. Even in the comics its just a boring costume. I've never been a fan of it or the original First Class outfit.

Leg printing always adds something! So much of the 'look' of many of these heroes is the color breakdown… Cyke has the yellow visor, yellow trunks, yellow gloves & boots. Superman has the red cape, red trunks, red boots. Nixing the boots eliminates a good chunk of that image… of course, it's also because we're so spoiled lately with printed legs showing footwear (CMF Warrior Woman, Gladiator, Barbarian, Romans… Wonder Woman… stuff like that). Just be glad we aren't whining over Han Solo figs not having printed black boots! (umm…we're not whining about that yet, are we? I haven't checked the threads enough to notice)

For Cyke, would've been nice to get a 'bald-cap' like Shakespeare & CMF Grandpa, with visor attached. It'd mostly be useful for other Cyke versions (dark blue Astonishing one w/ gray visor… blue w/ white printed stripe & yellow visor for X-Factor, or even yellow printed stripe for early X-Factor), but could probably be repurposed for an Ultra Agents character, some future spaceman or alien, etc. No less useful than the Wolverine mask!

I'd love to see a Kitty Pryde, both classic blues (dark blue for the torso & hips, or regular blue? Sand or medium blue for the legs?) & modern "yellow/black" Astonishing/Professor Kitty versions… and the "Baby Dragon Norbert" in lavender for Lockheed is a must! :laugh:

Just add him hair if you want something extra. Not a big deal, they can make boring minifigures time to time.

I may be alone here, but I'm not a huge fan of leg printing. For me it should be used judiciously and sparingly. The more detailed some of it is the more unsusable the functioning legs are on some figures, and obviously it also limits the ability to change legs and use them elsewhere.

That may be true, but is also a good excuse for LEGO not to do so much designing and printing on figures. It may be more expensive, but when they say that it is just for reuse-purposes of the parts they sneak out pretty nicely of the price-debate!

Not sure if I said that correctly ;) Let me know if that is not understandable :D