REVIEW: 31021 Furry Creatures (Creator)

31021-1.jpg

Name: Furry Creatures

Number: 31021

Theme: Creator

Year released: 2014

Parts: 285

Price (according to Brickset): £17.99 / US$19.99 / €17.99

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, all.

This is my first review for Eurobricks. I got this set about a week ago and I just love it. When it was first announced, I thought it looked cute and that I might get it. I didn't really expect that much, I thought the animals were really cute but that's it. But when I finally started building the set, I thought: :wub:

So let's start.

Here is the front side of the box. You can see all the animals that can be built with this set. I love the colors on the box, the set looks bright and appealing.

DSC_0328_zpsd96220ca.jpg

And the back side of the box.

DSC_0329_zpsd3768417.jpg

Instructions. I decided to build the cat and the mouse first. I named them Edgar (cat) and Pippin (mouse). :classic:

DSC_0330_zps3c80cd67.jpg

Here's the content of all the bags from the box. I have to say that I just love the parts from this set. There are so many cool and new parts. Notice the round tiles with eyes pattern. You get 4 of those, with 1 spare eye.

DSC_0331_zps1e8390d2.jpg

Here are some parts that I thought were great. I know some of these have been around for a while now, but they are my first so I had to give them some credit. :classic: I love the new bracket plates, they are very useful and I can't wait to get more of those. The new curved 1x2 slopes are also lovely. Ignore the black 2x2 plate, I don't know how it got here.

DSC_0333_zps4b6dfd94.jpg

Let's start building. The mouse is the first and the technique is really cool. You get to use the new bracket plates right away.

DSC_0334_zps7d8ca14e.jpg

And Pippin is done. I love how something so small can be built with so many pieces and different parts. I think there are about 40 pieces here.

DSC_0335_zps021f3397.jpg

:grin:

DSC_0336_zps013ab343.jpg

Now it's Edgar's turn. The build is really fun.

DSC_0337_zps5ca23edb.jpg

The cheeks and the inside of the cat's mouth.

DSC_0338_zpseacf5f3f.jpg

Almost done. The face is build separately and then attached to the grey 1x4 brick. The lower jaw is then attached to the tan modified plate.

DSC_0339_zps1f801315.jpg

And the head is done (yes, I missed the ears :blush: ).

I just love it. You can rotate the eyes, move the whiskers and the lower jaw and adjust the eyebrows in many different ways so the cat can make many expressions.

DSC_0340_zpsa41257cf.jpg

So I had to play with his head a little bit, and here are some of his expressions:

DSC_0341_zpse5a47998.jpg

DSC_0342_zps18d67d93.jpg

DSC_0343_zpsa7bd3ab8.jpg

DSC_0344_zps2f78c09c.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsfd787932.jpg

The ears are also movable from left to right.

DSC_0349_zps9190c0d3.jpg

And now the body.

DSC_0347_zpscbca81f1.jpg

It looks like some strange little car. :laugh:

DSC_0350_zps7320aa15.jpg

Without his arms and legs, poor Edgar is not very stable and falls on his face.

DSC_0351_zps36089d80.jpg

But after attaching his paws, he's unstoppable! Ta-daaa! :sweet:

DSC_0352_zpsedd144ec.jpg

Leftovers.

DSC_0354_zpsb6e0d6a3.jpg

You can rotate his paws around, make him sit or stand. The tail is also flexible and can be curled or stand straight.

DSC_0355_zps9317d280.jpg

DSC_0356_zpsa820feb6.jpg

''Hey! Not on my watch!''

DSC_0357_zpsaaa2b8d9.jpg

Flying cat.

DSC_0359_zps61a6100b.jpg

You can switch their eyes and here's the result. :laugh:

DSC_0360_zps4b43ea69.jpg

Skcheung built another animal with the pieces from this set and I think it looks great. Click here to see his horse.

Ratings:

Price: 9/10 - I think 285 pieces for 18 Euro is a fair price.

Parts: 10/10 - I am really satisfied with the parts selection. When you buy a set, there are always some parts you probably won't use very often (for example, I rarely use some technic elements that I have), but in this set I couldn't find a piece that I won't need in my own creations.

Design: 9/10 - I love the techniques that were used in this set and the animals are really well designed. I only think that the cat's body could be a bit thicker or heavier, since the cat has a tendency to fall on his face because the head is much heavier then the body. I love the mouse, but his tail can't really stay like pictured on the box. It is attached with a pin and it rotates around.

Playability: 10/10 - This set is really playable. The cat is fantastic.

Build: 9.5/10 - Very fun build. A bit repetitive when building the legs, but other than that it's really fun.

This is a great little set. I love the parts selection, all of them are very useful and the set contains a lot of new elements.

What I love the most is the playability of the cat. His head, hands, legs, tail, eyes, eyebrows, whiskers, lower jaw and ears can be rotated in many directions. I also like the creative use of some parts. For example, the handlebars were used for eyebrows. I love the building techniques, the build was very fun and I also got some ideas for my MOCs. I would recommend this set to everyone.

Hope you liked the review. Thanks! :classic:

The eye-switch, especially on edgar made me freak! Great review, it is cute how you have named them. I got this about a month ago, and really like it!

Edited by LOTRfan

Cool! Thanks for the review I've considered buying this, it looks like a good set. I'm surprised that the cat Edgar is so posable. Thanks for the review!!

Thanks for the review. I planned on getting this and the other animal creator set this year. But as stated, there are too many other great sets out there that I will probably end up not getting these.

This is really neat seeing it first hand though. I like the joint pieces. You can create a lot of movements with them.

Nice review. I didn't know the cat could be adjusted so easily to allow for different expressions. And it's funny -- the body does look like a small car!

Still don't think this set is for me, but I'm realizing I'm in the minority. Glad you found so much enjoyment out of this build! It'd be nice to read how you take to the alternate builds whenever you decide to explore those.

Edited by Fritzy

I just saw this set, and I'm really tempted to buy it. The build'build ' s ok, but I really like the pieces! Great review! You sold me!

~Insectoid Aristocrat