Sign in to follow this  
Lobot

[Review] 30247 ARC-170 Starfighter

[Review] 30247 ARC-170 Starfighter (mini)

Details:

Ages 6-12

RRP: N/A

Parts: 58 (approx)

Introduction:

There are lots of disadvantages about living in the UK; the climate, the weather, winter and endless congestion to name just a few, but just occasionally it’s all worthwhile. For some reason we seem to get a free Lego promotion a couple of times a year via one of the national newspapers. And yes, you’ve guessed it, this week we have another selection including the new ARC-170 Starfighter. This is the second Star Wars polybag that’s included in the promotion; I’ve already made a review of 30246 (Imperial Shuttle) which you can see here.

The bag:

img_5963.jpg

Standard size polybag, with the new slightly scary looking Darth Vader. Personally I prefer it to the previous (Yoda) version, and seems to compliment most of the sets I’ve seen. The Starfighter is flying over an unknown planet and, as you’d expect, is firing at an unseen foe. I like the colours and it’s just as good as the Imperial Shuttle.

Part selection:

img_5966.jpg

A total of 58 (ish) including around 3-4 spares. A nice selection of parts which I’m sure would be appreciated by most builders. As with the shuttle there are lots of smaller parts, but it includes a few dark-red and black bits which I’m sure I can find a use for.

Instructions:

img_5969.jpg

Standard format for polybags, it’s a bit smaller than A4 and double-sided. The model is built in 19 separate sections and is quite fun considering the small size, a maximum of 5 minutes effort. It’s a little more complicated than the shuttle, but most adults should be able to cope! I’ve included both sides just incase you wanted to replicate it via your parts bin.

img_5970.jpg

The result:

img_5973.jpg

It’s a nice little model and a good replica of the original. However, it’s very nose heavy and I had to hastily construct a stand for the photo. It’s a bit of a shame really, I can see younger fans being upset by this; to be honest the min X-Wing we had a few years ago was far superior. Apart from that I can’t really fault it, especially considering the price point... I got this for 60p, including a nice paper to line my recycling bin with.

img_5975.jpg

Summary:

Cost: 5/5 – A total bargain

Parts: 4/5 – A nice selection of parts, including some dark-red and black

Build: 4/5 – Moderately interesting, although a bit fiddly at times

Model: 3/5 – Instantly recognisable, surprisingly detailed for such a small set

Balance: 1/5 – Good fun to swish, but very nose heavy.

Overall 17/25 or 68% if you prefer.

Edited by Lobot

Nice review Lobot! I like this one better than the shuttle if I'm honest. Parts here seem a bit more usefull too.

It's just a shame I don't live in the UK :(

After missing the shuttle, I managed to get this! I was pleasantly surprised at the dark red heads, I thought they were just 1x1 round bricks. :thumbup:

Nice review Lobot! I like this one better than the shuttle if I'm honest. Parts here seem a bit more usefull too.

It's just a shame I don't live in the UK :(

The downside is that these promotions seem to be the only way to get most polybags; none of the toy shops or supermarkets stock them normally aside from Toys R Us' seemingly endless supply of Star Destroyers (and, currently, the Hero Factory Breeze polybag).

I too just got the paper for the polybags, best thing about the UK! I think it does look a little fat around the middle...

Hmm, normally I'm not one for the mini sets, but this one doesn't look to bad :) Of course, I probably won't get it, but it still looks alright.