Rufus

Review Review: 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

268 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Like this set very much, and I think I'll buy it soon or later.

Anyway, there are some choices I disapprove:

• stickers instead than printed bricks.
  • too many large and specialized parts.
  • it miss the large habitable environments typical of the Classic Space Ships that I love.

I see that the first two points has been already highlighted in the review, but it seems that no one other than me feel the lack of large habitable environments.

You must not have noticed the compartment behind the cockpit under Unikitty's seat then... It only has two more internal seating positions, but it could probably hold at least 4 or 6 minifigs with modifications.

I did indeed modify the compartment under Unikitty's station, and it holds four classic spacemen comfortably. Though they do need to lean forward just slightly so their helmet clears the bracket from Unikitty's seat.

Just finished building sixth bag of SpaceshipX3... I accidentally got two LBG 6x10 plates, instead of one 6x10 and one 4x12... I used one from my own collection, but I'm not really happy about it :hmpf_bad: Otherwise, it's a fun and really enjoyable build :thumbup::classic:

Just about finished assembling my Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!. IMO its the best space set LEGO have released in 2 decades. (sorry Exo-Suit fans although the Exo-Suit is definatly close the SSS! is better)

Finished assembling it, its VERY cool. Am I the only one that thinks the bad guy ship would have been even cooler if the windscreen had been in, say, trans-smoke (a color which does exist for that part)

I wanted the bad guy ship windscreen to be in yellow of course. Because Blacktron. (And because Classic Space MOCS).

Yeah, trans-yellow would have worked great for it, too bad the part doesn't exist in that color.

I came very close to buying this when it first came out, but I decided on a Bricklink order instead. :sceptic: I'm not so shore now.

I came very close to buying this when it first came out, but I decided on a Bricklink order instead. :sceptic: I'm not so shore now.

It's fantastic. Don't second guess yourself until you have to pay BL prices.

Welcome to 1980-something LEGO robots! They always had that problem.

Is there a smaller version of the LEGO bar pieces (like the lightsaber blades, but in grey)? Something like that to brace the arms would solve a world of headache.

I just leave them in the little docking bay for the most part, but I can imagine people wanting to 'play' with them might get a bit annoyed.

I finally bought it and it's just arrived, I'm so excited, this is one of the best sets in the whole year.

I think the smallest bar is 3L, and even that isn't super common, AFAIK.

It's quite common in the Minifigures line, for which it was created. Outside that, though, I think the LEGO Ideas Ghostbusters Ectomobile and last month's Classic Spaceman promo set (which uses it for exactly the purpose described here) are the only sets that use it that I know of, so far. But there they are...

It's quite common in the Minifigures line, for which it was created. Outside that, though, I think the LEGO Ideas Ghostbusters Ectomobile and last month's Classic Spaceman promo set (which uses it for exactly the purpose described here) are the only sets that use it that I know of, so far. But there they are...

Nah, it's in a bunch of stuff. LEGO Movie sets and Hobbit sets, too.

I think he meant that only Ghostbusters & the Classic Spaceman have the small light bley bars...

EDIT: nope, I'm wrong! They don't even have gray ones... Ecto-1 has a brown one, the Classic Spaceman has a black one for the robot... and both colors are in lots of sets.

Edited by Venkefedo

Nah, it's in a bunch of stuff. LEGO Movie sets and Hobbit sets, too.

Ah, nice to know! I have several sets from both of those themes - not all the ones I want, of course, but a bunch - but I haven't put most of them together yet.

Thanks for the review!

Have you or has anybody tired some MOCs regarding the space for the crew? What about some accomodation, beds for the crew instead of the seats in the working area and the Kitty saucer? What I loved most on 928 was the cargo bay. I like the idea of integrating a cargo bay at the rear end of Bennys ship, instead of the mechanic for the wings. Has anybody tried this? Plans and ideas are welcome. I am thinking about a synthesis of 928 and Bennys ship. Got to get my blue and grey bricks and the yellow plates from the attic until christmas...

Thanks for the review!

Have you or has anybody tired some MOCs regarding the space for the crew? What about some accomodation, beds for the crew instead of the seats in the working area and the Kitty saucer? What I loved most on 928 was the cargo bay. I like the idea of integrating a cargo bay at the rear end of Bennys ship, instead of the mechanic for the wings. Has anybody tried this? Plans and ideas are welcome. I am thinking about a synthesis of 928 and Bennys ship. Got to get my blue and grey bricks and the yellow plates from the attic until christmas...

Why would you ever want to disable the wing function? It's seriously one of the greatest play features. Ever. Hahaha.

Seiously, I pick up the Spaceship all the time just to fidgit with the wings. :p