Sign in to follow this  
ukbajadave

Combining 70404 and 70402?

I've seen that it is possible to combine the gatehouse raid set with the castle to lengthen the walls. Does anyone know if the whole set is used or is it just the little sections either side of the gatehouse?

Extending the castle this way sure give it a lot of gates. But it is an excellent idea to have a "modular" castle like that. But I would make some extensions of just straight wall.

Thanks for the replies. I've read the review of the castle and on the back of the Gatehouse box it says it can be combined but I'm not sure its worth it for the tiny extra amount of space if you can only use the sides.

I did come across a picture of someones castle with 2 gatehouses used and that was bigger but getting a bit pricey and it looked kind of open with doors in every wall. Not what you want in a castle :)

I think the best option might be to buy the castle and then design modular walls to add in.

I have both these sets and I don't like the look when combined. If you still want a squareish castle then you also have to lengthen the other side and like ukbajadave said it starts to look very open. Not to mention the difference in actual wall type between the two sets which I don’t think work well together.

yes,it is an excellent idea to have a "modular" castle like that. But I would make some extensions of just straight wall.48.gif

Edited by solongtosee

I would say "get some extra sets in a sale and then modify the parts into Wall sections that will fit with the castle."

If I can get enough sets I would also turn the Kings Tower into a central Keep, within the walls of the castle. :)

I've seen that it is possible to combine the gatehouse raid set with the castle to lengthen the walls. Does anyone know if the whole set is used or is it just the little sections either side of the gatehouse?

If you can get a second Gatehouse Raid set cheap on clearance it makes a huge difference. You but the gates on each Castle side wall and use the other 4 pieces to expand the front and back or the sides.

I'm also putting two 70404's together along with two 70402 but I need to build a custom wall in order to square it out evenly.

I have combined these two with 70400. I took the sides of 70402 and used them in the walls of the main castle and with the main part from the 70402 combined with the trees from 70400 arranged on the sides of it I have created a separate gate that stays in front of the lowered bridge. Oh and I took the top level from 70402 and placed it above the tower where the throne stands in 70404. This way from all the 3 sets I have managed to have one compact building. If you want I will try to share some photos of this version of my modified castle.

Oh and one more detail. On the 70404 there are 4 towers, 2 higher, 2 smaller, instead of placing the smaller ones on diagonal I placed them both in front, it feels more symmetrical and solid this way.

Edited by talex

Vorkosigan, your blacksmith reminds me of my childhood set 6040 :classic: I like the idea of plugging in extra features like an armoury or perhaps stables.

...the main part from the 70402 combined with the trees from 70400 arranged on the sides create a separate gate that stays in front of the lowered bridge...

...there are 4 towers, 2 higher, 2 smaller, instead of placing the smaller ones on diagonal I placed them both in front, it feels more symmetrical and solid this way.

I placed my castle on a large baseplate to add a moat across the front so there is plenty of room for a permanent gate. If you could post a couple of pics of your modified castle that would be great.

I arranged my towers the same way as you, the front looks imposing now but the back is a little bare by comparison. I wonder if with two 70402 sets you could have a gate beyond the drawbridge, replace the kings tower with the second gate and use the kings tower pieces to bulk out the back corners?

Edit: I've just noticed Vorkosigans castle also has the two towers at the front :laugh:

Edited by ukbajadave

Looks like you guys have done similar builds to what I'm currently working on. I'm just waiting for my bricks order to arrive so I can finish up the castle and post some pics.