Echo

The end of Shouting Win Kid?

We all know about the disturbing yelling Win Kid at the back of most instruction booklets telling us to go give feedback on Lego.com to potentially WIN prizes and so forth. Well, I have purchased Ultra Agents and Arctic sets and instead of Win Kid, we have Lloyd from Ninjago in the Agents instructions and a firefighter in the Arctic instructions. Could it be that we have finally been delivered from the menace of Win Kid once and for all?

That would be a very welcome change. That kid looked angry and constipated. Using one of their own mascots is more appealing, and hopefully it sticks.

Yes, I noticed this too when I got my Cantina and Chima Speedorz sets. Instead of the Win kid, there was a Laval minifig on the back of the Chima manual and a Clockwork Robot CMF on the back of the Cantina manual. It looks much better in my opinion, and much less "in your face", though why they picked a CMF minifigure for the back of a Star Wars manual is beyond me. I would say that the Win kid has been retired :classic:

I picked up 31026 on Monday and it too has a minifig on the Win page - the person in the orange jacket from the set itself, except with the classic smiley face.

Wohoooo! So long, annoying whiney kid of evil! We are forever freed of his haunting whine.

Nice to see they've gone for a much better approach IMO, much more fitting to have minifgs on the back, great move! :thumbup:

By this point he is probably 45 with 3 kids a mortgage and an ulcer.

Just out of curiosity, can somebody show us a picture of this poor kid? I haven't bought an actual set for years, but it sounds terrifying...

Edited by emilstorm

Noooooo!!! He was so awesome. He and his female counterpart from the Friends sets.

Emilstorm, you should be able to go to lego.com and look up instructions for a recent set and see it on the back cover. If no one else does, I'll post a pic tonight

Edited by Drock

I noticed this on Benny's Spaceship too. Orange jacketed fig with a red cup - perhaps the same one Tragic Banjo mentions.

I agree it's a great move. Even as a kid I hated seeing other kids in Lego catalogues, they always look so self-satisfied.

This is a LEGO change that will go down in history! (okay, not really...?) but it is a great thing to hear about. What about that little brat made them think he conveyed an "excited and happy" image?

Just out of curiosity, can somebody show us a picture of this poor kid? I haven't bought an actual set for years, but it sounds terrifying...

Here, from Pandora's seaside house review:

7205080742_89eb871fb0_z.jpg

I'm glad if the reign of this terrible beast is over.

Dang, if he's retiring, then I want the job! But then again, maybe having a random teenager on the back of your instruction book would be a little creepy. But it can't be any creepier then some random kid right?! Right!?

It's sort of odd having any "I'm so lucky to have this instead of you" mascot, but at least he's young. If they kept him as he aged, it would be very creepy.

Isn't it true that one of the other themes has a robot on the back for the Win section?

It's sort of odd having any "I'm so lucky to have this instead of you" mascot, but at least he's young. If they kept him as he aged, it would be very creepy.

It would be creepy for anyone buying LEGO, especially kids. They would keep him young so that he appeals to the main demographic of LEGO - younger kids. just like on Ninjago or Chima boxes they have young kids, like the ones most potentially buying the product, to say, "wow I can be just like him" instead of looking at a full-grown adult as a role model for their LEGO experience with a set.

@pig, thanks for the picture, I see what you guys are talking about! In there defense he would have probably looked even creepier if he was actually shouting "win"! Go look in the mirror while you do that :)

:excited: Yes, he's gone! Now everything truly is awesome! :thumbup:

<censored for your pleasure>

Did you really have to post that in a thread full of people glad to not be seeing it again? :sad:

Could you turn it into a link instead?

LOL! I had no idea what this was about from the title. I hadn't noticed yet but indeed some of my new sets have minifigs instead of this kid.

Phew.

7205080742_89eb871fb0_z.jpg

I'm glad if the reign of this terrible beast is over.

Make it stop!! Haha. I found that kid extremely annoying. The idea that this kid was so enthusiastic about Lego he has to scream it from the rooftops, didn't work for me ever!

Thankfully we have Lego characters to look upon now.

I've yet to buy anything without this kid on the instructions, glad to hear they are changing him out. My question is...has anyone actually won anything? ;-)