14002781945_4140c8a227.jpg

Despite its remote location in the far north, Ofdor has faced determined attacks in days of old. However, the city has resisted every attack since the first erection of its mighty fortifications.

13999614391_bf5ee07500.jpg

The walls are wood pilings, set around a thick core of crushed and compacted stone. Outside, a moat encircles the city, broken only at the gates. The putlogs set into the top of the wall and jutting outwards serve as mounting points for hoardings, temporary scaffoldings that improve the defenders’ field of fire.

13979681226_1fc502e177.jpg

The stone layer measures over 5 feet thick, running through the entire wall.

13999616731_653cc485c1.jpg

Although lightly guarded in peacetime, the gates are always manned by members of the city guard. They quickly stop any intruders from entering the city. “Hands up!”

14003227884_70c77e30f8.jpg

Two of the city guard stand watch outside the gate.

I'm thinking about getting involved with GoH, so I thought I'd post a recent MOC to see how much feedback I get. Larger sizes of these images are available on Flickr. Thanks for viewing!

Very nice build, Thomas of Tortuga :wink:

The snow and the moat are great (although the moat does look a little shallow), and the wall, especially the part next to the gate and the stone cross-section, is awesome as well :thumbup:

However, the flat roofs on the building on the wall does look a bit odd and impractical (the weight of the snow would probably make them cave in).

That is just a minor point though, great job overall :classic:

Really cool MOC, nice story as well. I like the look, the detail and the snow a lot. :thumbup::wub:

Thank you!

Nice build!

Thanks!

Very nice build, Thomas of Tortuga :wink:

The snow and the moat are great (although the moat does look a little shallow), and the wall, especially the part next to the gate and the stone cross-section, is awesome as well :thumbup:

However, the flat roofs on the building on the wall does look a bit odd and impractical (the weight of the snow would probably make them cave in).

That is just a minor point though, great job overall :classic:

Thank you! I meant the moat as covered with thin ice, so that's probably why it's shallow. I'm glad you like the cross-section- it's a fairly common technique, but this was my first time trying it. The roofs are actually angled slightly forwards, but I forgot to get a good picture of the slope. That's a good point about the snow's weight :classic:

Looking really great, and it seems like you have just qualified yourself for Mitgardia!

I love how you made the snow. The round brick arches give a nice mosaic.

It's a great build!

Thank you!

Looking really great, and it seems like you have just qualified yourself for Mitgardia!

Thanks! I'm kind of leaning toward Kaliphlin, though :blush:

Great use of the window piece in the wall arches! Nice moat and wall section too. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Very nice work. I like the way you incorporated the window frames into the moc; I also like the portcullis and the spires flanking it. Not sure about the usage of the headlight bricks as the wall filler, but the snow-scaping is really nice. I strongly encourage you to get involved with GoH (It would be great to have you in Kaliphlin :classic: )

Excellent build, all those curved white slopes give the snow a realistic look!

I'm kind of leaning toward Kaliphlin, though :blush:

There is a lot of snow in the Rakath Mountains in Kaliphlin as well :wink:

I saw this build earlier today on my phone....and it looked pretty good. Now that I am on my desktop monitor, there really is a lot to love here. I really like the creative approach you took to putting the window frames upside down under the slopes. I think that adds some good 'greebling'(if we can use that in castle) or decor to the build in a unique way. My one criticism would be the mottling on the cross section. It doesn't look bad, but we can see light through it so it doesn't feel solid. Also seems almost too symmetrical or patterned. The one person who I have seen do this great is Gideon. Check out some of his builds for reference. Now, that being said I have never even attempted to do that technique, so I am speaking from no experience at all, and I may be way of base.

Thanks! I'm kind of leaning toward Kaliphlin, though :blush:

Good choice :wink:

Very nice work. I like the way you incorporated the window frames into the moc; I also like the portcullis and the spires flanking it. Not sure about the usage of the headlight bricks as the wall filler, but the snow-scaping is really nice. I strongly encourage you to get involved with GoH (It would be great to have you in Kaliphlin :classic: )

Thank you! I've heard from several people already that I should have covered the headlight bricks with 1x1 plates.

Excellent build, all those curved white slopes give the snow a realistic look!

There is a lot of snow in the Rakath Mountains in Kaliphlin as well :wink:

Thank you, Gideon! Maybe I'll go visit sometime :classic:

I saw this build earlier today on my phone....and it looked pretty good. Now that I am on my desktop monitor, there really is a lot to love here. I really like the creative approach you took to putting the window frames upside down under the slopes. I think that adds some good 'greebling'(if we can use that in castle) or decor to the build in a unique way. My one criticism would be the mottling on the cross section. It doesn't look bad, but we can see light through it so it doesn't feel solid. Also seems almost too symmetrical or patterned. The one person who I have seen do this great is Gideon. Check out some of his builds for reference. Now, that being said I have never even attempted to do that technique, so I am speaking from no experience at all, and I may be way of base.

Good choice :wink:

Thanks! I'm glad that detail turned out well- I felt like it was too square without the window frames. I assume you're referring to the interior of the wall? I see what you mean about the symmetry, and Gideon was a major inspiration for this technique. What do you think I should do to make it more solid? More larger pieces mixed in?

Yes, all this good feedback is definitely making me more interested in GoH :wink:

My apologies then- I usually don't read the comments posted prior to my own

My apologies then- I usually don't read the comments posted prior to my own

No, it's cool. What I should have added is that I've heard that from people on MOCpages :wink:

Great build, I really how the snow and ice contrast with the brown gate.

Awesome gate, very nicely done! The snow effect is great and contrasts nicely with the pallisade structure. The shields add some good color. :thumbup:

The frozen water looks great too, though I wonder if some trans-dark-blue plates under the light blue tiles would have given the water a deeper look yet still frozen on top.

Lovely build! I like the windows design on the wall and you have done a great job with the snow!

I like how much detail you go into explaining everything about your build. You really think it all through.

Awesome gate, very nicely done! The snow effect is great and contrasts nicely with the pallisade structure. The shields add some good color. :thumbup:

The frozen water looks great too, though I wonder if some trans-dark-blue plates under the light blue tiles would have given the water a deeper look yet still frozen on top.

Thanks! I'll try that next time.

Lovely build! I like the windows design on the wall and you have done a great job with the snow!

Thank you!

Nice to see a build using the old viking pieces! The frozen moat is a nice touch. Nice job!

Thanks!

I like how much detail you go into explaining everything about your build. You really think it all through.

Thank you! A friend of mine, Gilbert Despathens (of Avalonia), is a huge castle and medieval history buff. I had to make sure everything looked accurate :wink: Edited by Thomas of Tortuga

Nice build Thomas! You really do use those large log panel pieces to good effect. (I always liked those pieces!) The overhanging battlements with those big arches look great. :thumbup: The snow bank and ice moat is nicely done too, although i agree with others that a darker colour under the ice might work better to show deeper water.

What is that dude doing behind the guard in the fourth pic down?? Turn around random guard #1, it's clearly a decoy! :laugh:

Lots of cool details there man... I really like the upside down windows. Nice!

Excellent wooden gate, the arches with window frames are really neat :thumbup: Good snow drifts too :classic: