Sign in to follow this  
unimog123

[HELP] More Speed and Torque from PF M motor?

So you may know from a previous topic of mine, that I am involved in the RC hobby as well as Lego Technic. However after buying a much more powerful RC buggy I have decided to try and find a easy way to modify an M motor for more speed and torque.

I thought maybe if I bought a second extension cable and I connect one M motor to two rechargeable batteries it would give more speed and torque. Is this the case or do I have to do some internal modifications?

Also so you can better understand what I want to use this for.....

I would like to make a mini monster truck, about 8-9 inches long, but most of all I want it to be able to do wheelies from a standing start with a wheelie bar connected to some soft 6.5 springs to hold the wheelie.

If you have any ideas please share them, thanks!

It sounds like you want to overvolt the motor? I'm not sure if lego include some sort of limiter so that you can't do that but give it a try, your motor won't last as long if it works though.

Edited by MrNumbskull13

You can increase either speed or torque, according to gearing. The only way you can increase both is to increase power. A motor gives its maximum power when running at approx half of its no-load speed, assuming a good battery which does not drop the volts much under load. So if you gear it accordingly that's the max power you will get out of a standard motor. If you want more, then you will have to overvolt it and expect reduced motor life.

Rule number 1: Lego will never keep up with the RC hobby in terms of speed.

That said, it is possible to make wheelies with lego models, Use a high power motor (PF L or XL preferrable) and make sure that the car is top heavy.

Rule number 1: Lego will never keep up with the RC hobby in terms of speed.

That said, it is possible to make wheelies with lego models, Use a high power motor (PF L or XL preferrable) and make sure that the car is top heavy.

rc motor or 2 rc motors, quite low gear ratio, very top heavy, much weight at the back.

Yeah, Lego will never be able to keep up with the RC hobby in terms of speed because it would probably throw the price threw the roof and the motors would not be worth the research and development to the company itself.

Anyway I have begun building my mini monster truck and I have used some of your advice. I'm making the truck with full suspension, with 1L motor on the rear axle, a Servo right in front of the rear axle (which is as far back as it can go), and a triple A battery box on top of the rear axle. So it will look kind of SUV-ish.

Not sure what to tell you other then if you have a buggy motor then use it, other then that if you really want to step up the speed and torque for you MOC what you should do is upgrade to a better motor 100_2590.jpg_thumb.jpg.

For more help here is a link to a Motor performance chat.