Does anyone know the retirement date of the Grand Emporium? I've heard about November, but could someone confirm this?

It probably doesn't have a hard retirement date. Rather it has received its last factory run, and whatever is in the supply chain is it. When it sells out it is officially retired.

Well, they would know when production ends and that kind of is the first retirement date. Most people see the date it goes out of stock in the online shop after production has seized as the "official" retirement date, but even then there's a good chance a lot of shops still have one or more in stock. But it is usually that date when private stockers will up their prices, anticipating the "damn, I missed it!" rush.

In reality there indeed is no real "hard" retirement date, as Faefrost says. At a certain moment it just will become less and less available.

Anyway: at the moment there's no indication when production will stop. It might even already have stopped...

Edited by jfbat

It's been out of stock at the USA shop at home for several weeks. At first, it said it would ship in 30 days. A couple of weeks ago, they changed it to simply say out of stock.

In that case then, should I buy GE first and PR later, or PR now and risk GE going out of stock?

PR has just been released, so it will be around for a while, so I'd start with GE, if you do not want to risk missing out.

Or just buy both now, if the wallet allows...

I bought the one I wanted most first once, which made me have to get the other one by buying bricks at bricklink, or pay 600 Euos for the set at eBay :angry:

I bought the one I wanted most first once, which made me have to get the other one by buying bricks at bricklink, or pay 600 Euos for the set at eBay :angry:

Yeah, that was my dilemma: get the amazing PR and not GE, or get GE and PR six or so months later.....

My wallet is already crying because of all the new movie sets, so il probably get GE first, then PR later.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by LOTRfan

It's been out of stock at the USA shop at home for several weeks. At first, it said it would ship in 30 days. A couple of weeks ago, they changed it to simply say out of stock.

Currently states: "Out of stock, expected ship date 23 May 2014".

The only two modulars I own are GE and PR, so maybe I can help a bit on recommendation between the two. While PR is absolutely stunning, and a fun build, the fact I got GE after PR maybe helped make me fall in love with GE, as in comparison to PR it feels much more massive. Some have criticized GE for being a bit of a boring build as you essentially build the same floor twice, but the finished build makes it worth it, and I really enjoyed building it how some things you thought would be fragile just came together once finished and just don't budge, like the escalators for example. Now I rank both equally, but I think it would be a shame to miss out on GE, especially for GE's exterior detailing which is just stunning. And as mentioned by others, PR will be around for years to come (at least 2), so you can always purchase it in the future which will most certainly not be the case for GE.

It's a no-brainer... It's the oldest one available at the moment, but it first.

It will surely be worked to be just before next January's new modular release. If you are worried about it, always buy the oldest ones first.

I got a MISB GE, Townhall and PR (building in progress). I am really excited to build the GE because of the excellent MODs and MOCs I see here. It seems to be a fav of modular collectors / MOC-cers. IMHO, PR wins in terms of detail but I must agree that in terms of "bigness" the townhall and GE seems to be on top.

It could be december this year.....

That would be perfect thanks.

Date aside, which is better?

Edited by LOTRfan