bmacro

FS Class E 656 Caiman

Hi to all,

here my newest project. The FS Class E 656, an Italian articulated electric locomotive built from 1973 to 1989, an all-purpose locomotive, used on every kind of train, ranging from freight to intercity passenger transport. Its nickname is "Caimano" (Caiman), due to its strenght. The hull is divided in two parts, each one with its own twin axle bogie, plus a central bogie in the middle (and that's because it's articulated). The initial project speed was 160 km/h (99 mph), but later it was reduced to 150 due to stability problems and its heavy.

Here the original

1.jpg

and my version

2.jpg

A wonderful picture at the Grand Station in Milan (2013)

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The hinge

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

The E 656 with some friends ...

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

And finally, a curiosity: 4 or 5 years ago, I build my first version of the E 656: very horrible, I think today! Wrong colors and wrong size ... but at that time I was really proud of my realisation!! So, the present version is not a MOC but a MOD of a MOC ..... :laugh:

18.jpg

Edited by bmacro

Wow, this is not a MOD is a G R E A T M O C! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Your italian fleet is huge and this is the icing on the cake! :moar:

I love your work and I know that is not easy take a new chance on a project already completed.

You have done an amazing work my lego friend ...an amazing work that I hope to see (and touch) in a lego event! :innocent2:

You have to be proud of you: the central bogie is something incredible! Top-notch! :wub:

Absolutely great, complimenti!

Great details, faithful to the original, and well proportioned at 6-wide.

Can we see it towing some FS passenger cars?

Awesome build! Looks just like the original!

Hello alias bmacro

your locomotives make me speechless

Best regards Udo

PS: I'm Envious

Great loco!

Like it!

Baard

Edited by baard

Excellent job on the new version. Your original version is good too, it has a toy-like charm to it.

Besides you did a terrific job modeling this train in lego, i must add this too:

3.jpg

That is such a sweet photograph.... It just looks awesome. Just like your MOC.. great work!

Terrific design,

one question: I see you have TrClear windows in DkBlue train windscreen.

Assume you have made the change - is that difficult to do ?

Good work, very accurate! I am not really a train person, but I stop by here from time to time. You got a lot of nice details in there, and it looks very close to the real deal. That locomotive looks like it was begging to be built in Lego :)

that is a great train and you did a great job in transforming it into ABS!!!

Great MOC. The original is nice in my opinion too, reminds me of the 'shorty' models you get in Japan (shortened trains in 'n' gauge for those without much space for track).

Also good to see a 6-wide!

Terrific design,

one question: I see you have TrClear windows in DkBlue train windscreen.

Assume you have made the change - is that difficult to do ?

There are two types of train windscreen: one has the windows moulded in, the other is a separate frame and glass. When I recently bought two of last seasons 'high speed pursuit' sets for exactly this piece I got one of each.

Thanks a lot, my Lego Train Fan friends!! I didn't expect so many approvals! Perhaps, the loc is really beautiful :sweet: ... I don't think so! Special thanks to Jopiek, emilstorm ( ... That locomotive looks like it was begging to be built in Lego ...! Yeah, perhaps next millennium!!!), Selander (look at BL 13760 and 13756), UrbanErwin ( ... pretty sweet engine... pretty sweet ??? It's a beast!!!), jorrith (.. the Grand Station in Milan is really a masterpiece of "vintage" architeture, it's easy to take good pictures there...), scotNick ( 6 wide: yes, now for me it's more difficult than building in 7 wide, but the reason of this challange is that the original was in 6 wide: I wanted to respect my first choice), dr_spock (...Your original version is good too, it has a toy-like charm to it ... Lovely definition!!!), ust60 (personal message coming), MusicaRibelle (.. Grazie! ..Can we see it towing some FS passenger cars? yeah, the project of the cars is just ready, I have only to organize a bank robbery next week!!!), and finally the Duke, Lego Train 12 Volts: I have only to bow when I meet a king! Your words are a gift for me! Thanks a lot...! And for those who like Italian trains and their winking design like me, let me know you that I'll soon post a new special train (a common friend of us asked me to do it!!! together with a related video...I have to work hardly!!!) that anyway you can already locate in any pictures you've seen above.. Thanks a lot!

Max

Edited by bmacro

Excellent!!! :thumbup: You've done a great work as many train builders have certified!

You've finely captured the shape with some skilled solutions like the front safety red band and the articulated bodies on a central boogie.

I always say that each Lego model can be improved.

And finally, a curiosity: 4 or 5 years ago, I build my first version of the E 656: very horrible, I think today! Wrong colors and wrong size ... but at that time I was really proud of my realisation!! So, the present version is not a MOC but a MOD of a MOC ..... :laugh:

This is the case as you've just made with a former reproduction of yours. This is the best Lego Cayman ever!!! *oh2*

I particulary love this machine but I'm really surprised of how many not Italian people like it.

It has lots of enthusiasts and a dedicated site even if this machine doesn't have technical peculiarities as it was designed on an old but efficent projects

The unit E656-607 in the first shot was recently restored in Verona with a special permission of being brought back to the original eighties livery with a cayman mascot painted on the port side of the nose. This is the very livery, the only one drivers and fans love and recognize!!! :smug:

To me is deeper. In eighties some units were built in Reggiane plant which is close to my former home backyard. Before their shift to regular service those machines had final check on secondary rails under my kitchen window then parked there for days. I can't exatly remember how many times that guy went downstairs to touch the beast, talked with technicians and climbed in the cab. :cry2:

normal_EI_Caimano_IMG_38711.jpg

loco%20E%20656-1978.jpg