Sign in to follow this  
hans-thegreat

POTC 3 - From a Pirate LEGO Fanatics Perspective

POTC is more focused on characters. Master and Commander was a little bit more focused on the ships

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE POTC?!?!?!?? :'-(

For my taste "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" is THE historical naval action film of the decade not the POTC trilogy. It's a shame that a sequel was not made for that film (nor is it likely that there will be one). It was left open ended enough to allow for it. I can't believe that people thought that film was boring and didn't have enough

action. I guess story and character development, as well as real acting, realistic battle sequences, are above the unwashed masses these days that crave 'splosions and CG.

This is my favorite all-time movie! Solid story, great acting and character building, fantastic music (!).

There is no comparison between this movie and POTC possible.

"Captain Horatio Hornblower" (1951) Featuring Gregory Peck Hard to find but worth it, fairly realistic naval action...

I'm a big fan of the Hornblower series (with Ion Gruffudd) and like you I watch them almost every year. When i get a bit older, and my memory gets worse, I might even watch them more :) . But the 1951 movie is not yet in my collection. I always figured it was too old to be good.

Btw, I share your opinion on POTC! I only watched the first movie. At least the part where my eyes were still open...

Edited by bonaparte

POTC is more focused on characters. Master and Commander was a little bit more focused on the ships

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE POTC?!?!?!?? :'-(

M&C was focused on a number of things including the characters, ships, factual naval combat, and life aboard a British frigate in the Napoleonic era. Which, are what Patrick O'Brian's novels are about.

However POTC is an action movie. Action movies revolve around the characters solving a problem of some kind. Therefore, by it's nature the movie will focus mainly on the characters themselves.

I don't hate POTC, I aired most of my grievances in my previous post...it's just another processed action movie to me. Some are a bit better than others to me but they're all essentially the same.

Let me put it this way, if I have a large group of friends over for an evening of entertainment, including beer, pizza, and some light, mindless entertainment that everybody is sure to at least be entertained by I would put in POTC. It's pretty good for that. But I could sub in almost any action movie...

When I sit down to watch M&C it's generally by myself or with someone who will enjoy it with me (I have a few friends that thoroughly enjoyed the film). I pour myself a Pusser's (http://www.pussers.com) or perhaps turn it into Grog. Dim down the lights, crank the Home Theatre and lose myself in the late 18th century aboard the HMS Surprise for about 2 hours and some change. *sweet*