http://www.huffingto..._n_5124829.html

Great news! It really pleases me to hear they're addressing could-be-better representation of women the first movie arguably had. :3

So, just for fun, what pre-existing LEGO characters would you like to see in the next LEGO Movie?

Here are some of my ideas:

(More of) Wonder Woman

Fabuland Representatives (like Bonnie Bunny, it'll be funny to see whether they 'count' or not)

Ann Lee and the Vampyre/Zombie Brides from Monster Fighters

CM's Cheerleader and the (for some reason controversial?) Female Scientist

Simpsons Representatives

Have fun!

Edited by Transparency for Effect

Any of the old set female characters would be good. How about Gale Storm from Adventures?

I cannot think of an existing female character that I want to see added to the cast of The LEGO Movie 2. I really like Wildstyle and surprisingly Unikitty. I hope that both characters have a strong roll in the next movie.

I think Wildstyle's character was really well fleshed out. She is a goth, adventuring artist who is brave and creative. She is or at least was a bit insecure. What was a bit ground breaking is that she hoped to be The Special. Contrast her with Trinity in the Matrix where she was preordained to love The One. Wildstyle was a fully realized, complex character.

The dynamic of the cast was good in the first film, but since Vitruvius died, you do have an opening for a mentor. Perhaps a female character can fill that role. Otherwise, beef up Unikitty's role and ensure that Wildstyle is just as complex as important in the next film.

I don't think gender issue is very obvious in this movie. There are many female CMFs and background characters in this film, and Wildstyle and Uni-Kitty do have eye-catching appearances. If the sequel still remain the old cast, I'd like to see Wildstyle and Uni-Kitty have more daring actions, and maybe one more new/old female character joins the cast (Mrs. Scratchen-Post?).

But yes, excluding CMFs and original characters, the female power is kinda weak. Wonder Woman is the only visible licensed Master Builder among the bunch. For LEGO's old themes, I think Friends is the major issue since it's a theme full of female characters but has no representive here for audience girls.

Simply considering physical products, I don't wish to see more recent CMFs and themes. I might recommend Gail Storm and some Fabuland ladies.

BTW, though these characters won't be "minifigures", I guess the Family Upstair would also be in this topic. Only two guys from this family are seen may not be good enough. For mental projection reasons, both parent and kid have to be male in the plot, but a version like Lisa and Homer would also be nice.

Edited by Dorayaki

Any of the old set female characters would be good. How about Gale Storm from Adventures?

This. Or maybe Pippin Reed. I immediately thought about those 2 when reading the title.

Thought provoking....

I think it's safe to say that Wildstyle is a pretty good character, and I see how some people might not count Unikitty/Wildstyle conversations as passing the Bechdel test, but there's a bigger problem than passing the test or not:

Unikitty. She's a pretty crappy character in the respect that she's a horrible bundle of one particular stereotype. She's portrayed as irrational and over emotional to the extreme, and that's a shame. She's funny and cute, sure, but seriously. They could have done better.

Maybe they could add Nya, but she might be too similar to Wyldlstyle than the movie will allow. I would like to see a Friends character, at least in the background if not as an original character. They will probably just take the female character from whichever theme they project will be popular, just like they included Lloyd in a LEGO Movie set.

Or what about Black Widow ?

No one has said Princess Leia yet ?

Did you remember that TLM1 excluded Marvel and Disney universe? Holley Shiftwell, Cinderella or Elizabeth may not be suitable options here for now. SW only showed one scene in TLM1 so no knowing if TLM2 can go furthur. And I suppose that Nickelodeon is done with TLC (no Katara and Sandy). These leave very few choices left for licensed heroines.

The main problems are that there isn't too much room for a theme to have more than two representives (DC seems to be given lots of favor this time), and very few original LEGO theme feature a leading female protagonist. Professor Sam might be one of the exception from action themes.

Edited by Dorayaki

Gali or Nokama from Bionicle would be awesome.

Did you remember that TLM1 excluded Marvel and Disney universe? Those superheroines and princess's may not be suitable options here for now. SW only showed one scene in TLM1 so no knowing if TLM2 can go furthur. And I suppose that Nickelodeon is done with TLC....

How's that? Just because they've lost the license of Spongebob to Mega Bloks? They still have TMNT, and weirdly enough, a Spongebob set actually appeared in the recently aired 'Brick Like Me' epsiode

As a part of Bart's saving mech.

I'm still confused as to how that works...

Having a Friend or a Disney princess show up in the next LEGO movie seems very likely. Especially given the popularity of the Friends line and the "little sister" mentioned at the end of TLM, whose own imagination will likely factor into part of the next storyline. It would actually be very funny to have Batman trapped in the psychological horror of a pink "girly world" for one of the sequences in the sequel, especially since all the women are slightly taller than he is.

I would like to see one of the witches, LEGO has produced several and she'd make a good "mini-boss" in a Monster Fighter or Castle-themed world.

I'd also like to see a capable cowgirl taking the action lead in a Cowboy sequence, or the intergalactic girl from series 6 saving Benny's life and becoming a love interest. Plot twist: Benny doesn't know she's a girl until she takes her helmet off.

Well if you think about Warner Bros. being the production company, they are highly tied to DC universe, not Marvel. So that would explain why there was no Marvel presence in the movie. I'd assume Marvel probably would be left out of the next one too because of this reason.

With that said, I do like your Batman trapped in a pink world idea, especially with those skirt slopes being taller. Maybe an exclusive Pink Batman figure.... it could be the start of the Rainbow Batman series.

You have some good ideas about the female CMFs taking charge. They already have the perfect Benny face when the pink CMF lady takes off her helmet. She could shake her hair in slow motion (I think they did that with Wyldstyle already, but it could work again).

Having a Friend or a Disney princess show up in the next LEGO movie seems very likely. Especially given the popularity of the Friends line and the "little sister" mentioned at the end of TLM, whose own imagination will likely factor into part of the next storyline. It would actually be very funny to have Batman trapped in the psychological horror of a pink "girly world" for one of the sequences in the sequel, especially since all the women are slightly taller than he is.

I would like to see one of the witches, LEGO has produced several and she'd make a good "mini-boss" in a Monster Fighter or Castle-themed world.

I'd also like to see a capable cowgirl taking the action lead in a Cowboy sequence, or the intergalactic girl from series 6 saving Benny's life and becoming a love interest. Plot twist: Benny doesn't know she's a girl until she takes her helmet off.

Having any Disney-original characters in there would be a great idea, especially since they got Star Wars in there. Like Toy Story :3

The Monster Fighters world also sounds good, especially since there's a whole collection of classic monsters in LEGO, MFs or not.

Well if you think about Warner Bros. being the production company, they are highly tied to DC universe, not Marvel. So that would explain why there was no Marvel presence in the movie. I'd assume Marvel probably would be left out of the next one too because of this reason.

With that said, I do like your Batman trapped in a pink world idea, especially with those skirt slopes being taller. Maybe an exclusive Pink Batman figure.... it could be the start of the Rainbow Batman series.

You have some good ideas about the female CMFs taking charge. They already have the perfect Benny face when the pink CMF lady takes off her helmet. She could shake her hair in slow motion (I think they did that with Wyldstyle already, but it could work again).

Marvel has met DC in the past, but it would also be an absolute clusterfuck of rights to deal with in every direction (mostly if you consider ALL Marvel superheroes; aren't movie rights held up between Disney, Sony and Fox? Does it still count if it's LEGO? Etc.).

How's that? Just because they've lost the license of Spongebob to Mega Bloks? They still have TMNT, and weirdly enough, a Spongebob set actually appeared in the recently aired 'Brick Like Me' epsiode

As a part of Bart's saving mech.

I'm still confused as to how that works...

Avatar seems to be a more obvious problem than Spongebob. TMNT is a 3rd party property so maybe it doesn't count?

Well according to assumptions, that sister is an underage and might never play any System brick. And the main problem of TLM1 is that "the worlds we don't talk about" made the movie content an incomplete "crossover", which is not doing with the sequel.

Generally we didn't see too many retro Western characters when the protagonists arrive that Western town. Emmet and Wyldstyle only came to met one person (maybe the rest had escaped to Cuckoo Palace). The other problem was, TLM1 was showing that CMFs all have negative attitude against Emmet so CMFs' power can only leave to TLM2.

That's the point. What if the companies want to make this idea exclusive and they haven't prepared to make it in LEGO world? This could be the main reason why only one could show up in TLM1.

Edited by Dorayaki

Unikitty. She's a pretty crappy character in the respect that she's a horrible bundle of one particular stereotype. She's portrayed as irrational and over emotional to the extreme, and that's a shame. She's funny and cute, sure, but seriously. They could have done better.

I don't see the problem with Unikitty. It's the stereotype that makes her so appealing--she's Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, and any other cute character you can think of rolled into one. My daughter *absolutely* loved Unikitty and pretends to be her at times.

Plus, she's the only brick-built character in the movie. (Did you notice that she vaguely resembles some Creator animals?) I generally don't like brick-built animals, but I'll make an exception for her.

ReslpsaLoquitur, I agree completely about Unikitty. Though it would have been a problem if she was the only female character in the cast.

I could see adding a female spaceman to offset Benny. I would want that character more fleshed out than just being his girlfriend. That is the point of the Bechdel Test, the female characters need to be defined more than just by the male characters. Good writing to do that with any new character.

I would rather spend more time Middle Zealand than revisit the Wild West. But that is just female. So instead of a space girlfriend for Benny, I would rather see a forestwoman character added. If you had to hook her up with another character, she could still date outside of her theme area.

I could see adding a female spaceman to offset Benny. I would want that character more fleshed out than just being his girlfriend.

Completely agreed! She needs to be a lead, not a sidekick. I quite liked the strong-but-still-vulnerable Wyldstyle who continually saved Emmett's brick behind. I'm hoping there will be other leads that are as capable, but perhaps with a more feminine side. Smart and not merely action heroes.

The central idea of "what makes a toy more appropriate for girls and not boys" could easily be explored in the next movie. The fact that there is a pink LEGO isle for girls and a separate isle for boys has always struck me as kind of silly. Girls don't like Creator cars? Boys don't like horses? The very fact that so many of my beloved modulars are--in fact--doll houses for adults is rife for gender exploration... :wink:

Avatar seems to be a more obvious problem than Spongebob. TMNT is a 3rd party property so maybe it doesn't count?

Nikolodean owns the TMNT franchise outright these days. No 3rd parties involved save possibly some pre existing movie rights that had to be accommodated. The IP is Nik's.

I still doubt we will see any Fabuland, Friends, Duplo or Bionacle in the next movie just because of how jarring and immersion breaking they would be to the movies visual style and world building. For new or more obvious female roles I think Wonder Woman would be the best and honestly only real option of the pre existing minifig characters. She is unique enough to stand out from Wyldstyle while being familiar and instantly recognizable.

Of the other female Lego protagonists, most like Pippin Reed, Helena Skvaling etc come a little too close to Wyldstyle. Nya is further complicated by being part of another media property (note Lloyd was unnamed and unvoiced.) there are probably a few interesting possibilities in the CMFs. The Cheerleaders being the obvious ones. Or maybe the scientist. Among non humans or non protagonists? Alien Queen? Vampye's Bride?

The central idea of "what makes a toy more appropriate for girls and not boys" could easily be explored in the next movie. The fact that there is a pink LEGO isle for girls and a separate isle for boys has always struck me as kind of silly. Girls don't like Creator cars? Boys don't like horses? The very fact that so many of my beloved modulars are--in fact--doll houses for adults is rife for gender exploration... :wink:

This gives me a good idea. The female character they really need to add is one playing in the basement with Finn. I don't mean his sister that is so young that she plays with Duplos. She should be a peer of Finn who contributes to the storytelling. That would bring a different meta element to the story. The first movie is about a father who learned to allow his son access to his toys. The second film could be more of the difference and the similarities of how boys and girls relate to LEGO.

If they go with this route, it would also drive more female minifigure and minidoll participation in the story within the story.

This gives me a good idea. The female character they really need to add is one playing in the basement with Finn. I don't mean his sister that is so young that she plays with Duplos. She should be a peer of Finn who contributes to the storytelling. That would bring a different meta element to the story. The first movie is about a father who learned to allow his son access to his toys. The second film could be more of the difference and the similarities of how boys and girls relate to LEGO.

If they go with this route, it would also drive more female minifigure and minidoll participation in the story within the story.

She brings in more female characters! Great idea!

Nikolodean owns the TMNT franchise outright these days. No 3rd parties involved save possibly some pre existing movie rights that had to be accommodated. The IP is Nik's.

I still doubt we will see any Fabuland, Friends, Duplo or Bionacle in the next movie just because of how jarring and immersion breaking they would be to the movies visual style and world building. For new or more obvious female roles I think Wonder Woman would be the best and honestly only real option of the pre existing minifig characters. She is unique enough to stand out from Wyldstyle while being familiar and instantly recognizable.

Of the other female Lego protagonists, most like Pippin Reed, Helena Skvaling etc come a little too close to Wyldstyle. Nya is further complicated by being part of another media property (note Lloyd was unnamed and unvoiced.) there are probably a few interesting possibilities in the CMFs. The Cheerleaders being the obvious ones. Or maybe the scientist. Among non humans or non protagonists? Alien Queen? Vampye's Bride?

So I suppose no 4 Juniors figures or Galidor either?

Vampyre's Bride isn't a CM, but it'd be interesting to have such an antagonist be one of the main team characters (or Alien Queen).

Thanx for reminding, but it's kinda like Indiana Jones or Star Wars case. Michelangelo did show up in the movie, so maybe April has a chance. However for unknown reason TLG seems to lose their interests in Avatar and Spongebob. I doubt Katara and Sandy would appear next time unless the themes suddenly revive before TLM2.

Honestly I don't want to see more Superheo(ine)s invlove since this theme was much highlited in TLM1, unless a non-superhero character from DC universe takes the change (eg, Lois Lane). And if Batman woudln't leave the main cast, I doubt other DC female characters will have more highlights.

Duplo is a very different case. It is regarded as a prototype of LEGO for underage kids, but it doesn't represent another theme with different characters or story ideas. You may imagine a Duplo thief guy or firefighter is litereally their counterparts to LEGO City minifigures. Though TLM1 did hinted Duplo's existence, there is no character (not to say heroines) to introduce unless TLM2 intend to create an original Duplo character.

The figure issue has been discussed many times, but remember the very major premise is still that excluding several themes would fail to complete the crossover idea. I believe that TLM is able to incorporate these unused themes if they want to.

She brings in more female characters! Great idea!

So I suppose no 4 Juniors figures or Galidor either?

Well maybe she is more interested in male characters, especially handsome ones. :tongue: I agree with Blakstone, thought a sister doesn't guarantee more female characters, she may help to provide more perspectives for TLM's story idea..

4 Juniors figures are actually something like Duplo figures (being counterparts to their roles from LEGO City or action themes minifigures). I think TLC can easily make Jack Stone as a minifigure.

Edited by Dorayaki

Why does a sequel have to involve Finn?

We could actually have a female child as the kid and still have most or all of the same LEGO themes, but start from Friends town (I know it has a name, but I can't remember it... Is it Heartlake?) and progress from there through the other themes. Maybe her dad is an AFOL and she brings her minifigs/minidolls downstairs to incorporate into the story.

Thanx for reminding, but it's kinda like Indiana Jones or Star Wars case. Michelangelo did show up in the movie, so maybe April has a chance. However for unknown reason TLG seems to lose their interests in Avatar and Spongebob. I doubt Katara and Sandy would appear next time unless the themes suddenly revive before TLM2.

Honestly I don't want to see more Superheo(ine)s invlove since this theme was much highlited in TLM1, unless a non-superhero character from DC universe takes the change (eg, Lois Lane). And if Batman woudln't leave the main cast, I doubt other DC female characters will have more highlights.

Duplo is a very different case. It is regarded as a prototype of LEGO for underage kids, but it doesn't represent another theme with different characters or story ideas. You may imagine a Duplo thief guy or firefighter is litereally their counterparts to LEGO City minifigures. Though TLM1 did hinted Duplo's existence, there is no character (not to say heroines) to introduce unless TLM2 intend to create an original Duplo character.

The figure issue has been discussed many times, but remember the very major premise is still that excluding several themes would fail to complete the crossover idea. I believe that TLM is able to incorporate these unused themes if they want to.

Well maybe she is more interested in male characters, especially handsome ones. :tongue: I agree with Blakstone, thought a sister doesn't guarantee more female characters, she may help to provide more perspectives for TLM's story idea..

4 Juniors figures are actually something like Duplo figures (being counterparts to their roles from LEGO City or action themes minifigures). I think TLC can easily make Jack Stone as a minifigure.

Plus the minor fact they don't actually have the rights to Spongebob any more :sceptic: Maybe the Spongebob set appeared in the Simpsons episode purely because it was either a carry over from the episode's long production period or it just didn't bother anyone that it was used :wacko:

They were actually going to put in a standalone Duplo minifigure as a character in this original script, appropriately speaking in extremely simple terms, and there was of course that Duplo reference in 'Brick Like Me' where the younger, baby character (Maggie) is one of the figures ("They're so cute when they're Duplo!").

To be honest, besides using up older and unused themes (that kind of sounds unlikely in itself), I can kind of only see them using Jack Stone ironically, much less they also use someone like Clutch Powers. Besides, why not just make your own?

Back on topic, simply put, I completely agree with this point made about the first film and if it passes the Bechdel test:

"Wait..unikitty doesn't count because she's not a human character? Uh, NONE of them were human, they were all Lego people..."

The test is passed instantly at the 0:43 mark of