Sign in to follow this  
Adamskii

How can I clean my dust covered 10179?

Hello,

Firstly please forgive me if this is covered in another thread.

I have a the UCS Mil Falc 10179. Currently it is disassembled and stored in a large sealed plastic box, because when it was built I had a very hard time making space for it to be displayed. It was constructed for about 3.5 years on display in various parts of the house without a case, and collected a significant amount of atmospheric dust. Fortunately it was not exposed to sunlight. The obvious amount of dust is the reason I disassembled it. I didn't want to let it get worse. It's not just dust, but whatever else is in the air in a house full of people - so I guess all sorts of things , basically its a simple matter of running a duster over the surface - the supreme amount of detail is an incredible dust magnet! As far as I can tell the parts are all in excellent condition, no apparent suffing/scratching, bent corners etc..

How do others keep theirs stored (built, in a cabinet, boxed) do you "dust" your Lego frequently?

But the reason for this thread, is, how do I wash/clean my Lego 10179 pieces? there are ALOT of them, and I don't think I would have the patience to individually scrub each one with a toothbrush in water. I have read somewhere (possibly on here) that placing the pieces in a pillowcase and putting through the wash machine on gentle could work, but I am scared of possible damage or loss.

Is there a reason not to use a water softener such as a detergent (we have "hard" water here in Adelaide Australia, with alot of chemicals and chlorine very apparent). I think I would use distilled water anyway. What effect would window cleaner have ?

Perhaps washing by batches in a tub of some sort?

The next issue is how do you dry the parts without leaving water marks? Lay them out over a large area in a single layer ? with a fan blowing on them ? Any ideas would be helpfull.

I do have a fair bit of patience for this process, no real hurry to rebuild the old girl, but nonetheless would like to get the parts clean soon in preparedness for the day I do want to build, or sell...

Regards in Advance,

Adamskii

PS I wont be trying "the Schticky"..

If you have some sort of mat with good friction, I find tipping batches of pieces onto that and then tackle with a large, clean paintbrush for bulk cleaning. A 1 or 1/2 inch paintbrush is great for keeping displayed models dust-free as well. No water necessary!

Edited by MECHALEX

My lego city is covered in dust, I used compressed air cans, but they certainly don't get it all. But they're good for removing thick layers of dust. I really should've gotten that Falcon when I had the chance, consider yourself lucky you have such a great set!

First of all, find the really really expensive and irreplaceable pieces (radar dishes, rigging, etc) and set them aside. Treat them separately and with care.

Before washing, try compressed air + magic duster (high quality variety) + soft make-up brush. It may take a while but it's still quicker than washing/rinsing/drying and you don't risk water stains.

If most parts still seem dirty, you can try the washer pillowcase technique (delicate cycle), the dishwasher (there are Bosch dishwashers that have a special LEGO cycle), or, if there are just a few dirty parts, dunk them in soapy (dishwasher soap) water for a few hours, rinse each part individually and spread over a large towel. In either case, spread them on a towel to dry and put a fan near them to dry them quickly to avoid water stains.

Edited by Sammael

My display sets, I dust occasionally with a feather-like duster and less frequently go over them using the blinds-attachment on the vaccuum. For washing I fill up a sink with water and a a very light and mild detergent. I also have a bowl or bucket with distilled water in it. I dunk the parts first in the detergent water, then rinse under the sink and then dunk in the distilled water and then lay out (pile up is more accurate) to dry. The distilled water prevents water spots.

It will take some patience and elbow grease! :laugh:

I usually have a damp dish cloth to go over the pieces, and then if it's caked on really good I'll use a toothbrush. I've also gone the way of warm water in a bowl with a couple drops of dish soap. Throw the pieces in, use your toothbrush and set them out on a towel to let them air dry. It takes a while, but works great.

Good luck!